Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

hi freckles...it was asparagus soup..not nice..and those dutch crispbreaks yes..they melt into nothing in your mouth chris says...i couldnt touch it..couldnt have even eaten a belgian choc at that moment,was still nauseus!..op takes about 40 mins he said before i went under.you will know what its like already freckles but the rest of you, dont expect to feel wonderfull for the first 18hrs or so,thing is you can just lay in bed and not get up..do it and dont forget to keep your pain relief topped up!..no medals for saying no to it...and we have paid in advance for it!..get your moneys worth!..staff are lovely,no shortage,and seem to enjoy helping you too..so make the most of them.you might wonder why you had it done for a bit but,it soon disappears..like having a baby!.i went to my doc this aft, she was very impressed with what they had done and the info they had sent back over about me..she wanted all the details and wants updates as she says she will be watching me like a hawk and may be sending her patients over in the droves soon. i made app for stitches taking out next tues with the nurse. today i think i have been having Soup too fast as i feel like i have an airlock too like bigsister said..was chatting away (or more apt,gassing)while having it though so maybe took air in and thats why have got discomfort now...its a learning curve i suppose. I feel like i have got gillian mc kieth sat in my stomach and pulling a lassoo round it everytime i make a bad choice...saying "this is your punishment for that!" discomfort!..im going to go more slow now for a week or so, think im just getting carried away at doing well..but im only 3 days post op so stomach will be complaining a bit! it needs some tlc to heal....still got this gas pain in my left shoulder...anyone of you old bandsters know if thats normal??.also did you feel like you had airlock for a while just after surgery?.any tips on what to avoid having at first too?..any tips appreciated. thanks gillian x

Gillian from my experience i could never talk whilst eating, even Soup, it caused me problems, I sort of 'locked up' and couldnt swallow properly.

Also if I got a wee bit agitated or stressed my band tightened up and refused to let anything (even water) in.

So the trick is to sit quietly on your own and eat/drink soup...until you become familiar with how it works with your body.

I did have shoulder/chest pain and was assured it was wind, and it passed (sorry for the pun:laugh:)

Hope this helps hunny.

I now have a little dilemma.

I wrote to Michael Van den Bossche (my surgeon) just after Christmas and asked how much would the new operation cost me, with the free band offered by the manufacturer and the discount offered by the Spire (bupa) Southampton, where I had my first op.

I thought I neede to weigh up pros and cons, after all its me that has to pay.

He has come back tonight with a price for me, which he says he is awaiting agreement from the Spire, but he knows they wont go any lower. The fee also includes 2 fills.

He wants to know if it acceptable to me.

It is less than Dr Chris's quote and of course we could drive to Southampton, so no flight costs, the £ is down again against the Euro, this is why

I did trust MVDB and the hospital, I felt very safe and was well cared for , not saying i wont get the same treatment as I know I will if I go to Belgium.

What do you girls think I should do.:scared2:

I wrote to Michael Van den Bossche (my surgeon) just after Christmas and asked how much would the new operation cost me, with the free band offered by the manufacturer and the discount offered by the Spire (bupa) Southampton, where I had my first op.

He has come back tonight with a price for me, which he says he is awaiting agreement from the Spire, but he knows they wont go any lower. The fee also includes 2 fills.

It is less than Dr Chris's quote and of course we could drive to Southampton, so no flight costs, the £ is down again against the Euro, this is why

I did trust MVDB and the hospital, I felt very safe and was well cared for , not saying i wont get the same treatment as I know I will if I go to Belgium.

What do you girls think I should do.:scared2:

Hi freckles that is a dilemma.. how much cheaper would it be? i'm sure the one you had fitted and went wrong was just a one off and you would probably be ok with a new one fitted by them again..like you said you wouldnt have far 2 travel, no flights or queues which is a plus. Goodluck with what you decide, sorry im not a lot of help x

Thank Wishful for your input.

At todays rate its about £111.... plus however much the flights, taxis etc cost me.

I replied to MVDB and asked if the surgery could be performed in the Manchester Spire, and could he remove the band without damaging it.

Here's his reply...

Dear Pat,

I will get back to you.

The operation will have to take place at the SPIRE Southampton by myself.

The faulty band will be sent to the company in the US for investigation. That is one of the conditions for Allergan providing you with a new one free of charge.

Michael

Another dilemma!!!

Hi there

I am totally new to this so please forgive me if I do something wrong and please tell me!!

Well, after battling with my weight for as long as I can remember I have decided to take the plunge and get banded!!

After reading great reports on this forum I have decided to 'get done' by Dr Chris! I have paid my deposit and am booked in for Friday 13th March (I know Friday 13th!! This was the only date that really fitted with my husband. I keep telling myself that I am not superstitious!!) :crying: Everything seems to be happening so quickly but when I make my mind up about something I just want it done!! I thought I may have to wait months especially booking so soon after Christmas!

Anyway I am both very, very excited and a little nervous so will probably be on here a lot! I had an emergency cesarean last year and keep telling myself it can't be any worse! :scared2::unsure::)

Is anyone else out there getting banded by Dr Chris on the same day? If so please get in touch!!

I'd also love to hear from anyone who can give me any advice or tips.

Thanks in advance x :thumbup:

Firstly sammy, welcome to the forum...you have come to the right place.

Everyone here is a mine of information and very nice girlies.

Ask away as we are here to help each other.

Your date will soon be here....read and absorb all you can to put you in good stead xxx

Thanks Freckles!!

I know, March will soon come around.

I spent Christmas at my mum's house and had a good look through some of the lovely clothes I bought when I had a brief spell of being thin! (I took a about 2/3 suitcases full to her house for safe keeping after running out of space at home!) They nearly went on ebay but now I'm very excited at the prospect of wearing them again!

Have you got any words of wisdom or key bits of info that would really help me?! :scared2:

I will have a look back through the post and see if I can piece together your story x

Just this Sammy, it will be the best choice you have ever made.

No more will you have to worry about piling on the pounds, cos even if you end up losing slowly, you will lose it, and fit into those lovely clothes. xx

Welcome back gillian, wishfull, and bigsister. I'm glad to hear all went well for you. I'm leaving in the morning for Brussels. Op isn't until Friday, but I'm going to do a bunch of Victor Horta seeing. I love Art Nouveau and try to see some with every trip to Brussels. Here are some samples of what there is to see, but there is much, much, much more...

HORTA MUSEUM

MIM

www.kikirpa.be

Maison Autrique - Victor Horta - Welcome

www.autrique.be/docs/promenade/plan.en.pdf

Belgian Comic Strip Center, Brussels ? Home

Reseau Art Nouveau Network - Bruxelles-Brussel

H

Hope everyone here has a great week!!

I replied to MVDB and asked if the surgery could be performed in the Manchester Spire, and could he remove the band without damaging it.

Here's his reply...

Another dilemma!!!

Hi freckles, Perhaps is was fate that stopped your xrays arriving in Brussels, and that you were meant to wait for a letter from your previous surgeon, so that you now can assess both options.

Price and convience would be my motivators, but of course yours might be quite different. Can you have the op done quickly in Southampton.

Looking forward to hearing your choice, even if you choose uk please stay in touch with us hear, your input is appreciated. Love mmm

What do you girls think I should do.:wink2:

Hi Freckles. Think the main thing I would be concerned about would be the trust and safety issue, which you say you have got in the UK surgeon. Also on the plus side, the price will be a fair bit lower, especially if you factor in flights and hotels and also, like wishfull says, you will not have the additional hassle at an airport which is definitely a consideration. And you would get 2 fills which would save you around £200? All worth thinking about. Would he be able to offer you a date to suit yourself quite soon? I reckon if the manufacturer were to find the old band faulty, they should be agreeing to foot the whole bill this time (+ compensation!), will you be able to get a copy of the report they make on it? Make the decision which feels right for you - I'm sure after a bit of thinking, you will know - and let us know as soon as you decide. Take care, bigsister x

Hi there

I am totally new to this so please forgive me if I do something wrong and please tell me!!

Well, after battling with my weight for as long as I can remember I have decided to take the plunge and get banded!!

After reading great reports on this forum I have decided to 'get done' by Dr Chris! I have paid my deposit and am booked in for Friday 13th March (I know Friday 13th!! This was the only date that really fitted with my husband. I keep telling myself that I am not superstitious!!) :Dancing_wub: Everything seems to be happening so quickly but when I make my mind up about something I just want it done!! I thought I may have to wait months especially booking so soon after Christmas!

Anyway I am both very, very excited and a little nervous so will probably be on here a lot! I had an emergency cesarean last year and keep telling myself it can't be any worse! :wink2::unsure::Dancing_wub:

Is anyone else out there getting banded by Dr Chris on the same day? If so please get in touch!!

Thanks in advance x :Dancing_wub:

Welcome Sammy, I also booked as a result of reading this thread, its fab, and everyone is so friendly and supportive, I'm being banded on the 13th Feb, one month before you but also on the dreaded date FRI 13th, the closer its getting the less I'm worrying about the date, but I am also getting more excited each day, expecially after such great reports from the post op group. mmm

Hi there

After reading great reports on this forum I have decided to 'get done' by Dr Chris! I have paid my deposit and am booked in for Friday 13th March (I know Friday 13th!! This was the only date that really fitted with my husband. I keep telling myself that I am not superstitious!!) :Dancing_wub: Everything seems to be happening so quickly but when I make my mind up about something I just want it done!! I thought I may have to wait months especially booking so soon after Christmas!

Anyway I am both very, very excited and a little nervous so will probably be on here a lot! I had an emergency cesarean last year and keep telling myself it can't be any worse! :wink2::unsure::Dancing_wub:

Thanks in advance x :Dancing_wub:

Hi Sammy77 and welcome to our 'gang', you will soon feel you know everyone and be right at home to say or ask anything. Whatever it is, someone has bound to have experienced it and have an answer of advice for you. Think we all found that reading through the thread from the start answered most of the questions we had plus a lot more, there is so much info on here like Freckles says. So any specific questions, dive in and ask, we enjoy helping each other on here. Your date will be coming round really quickly, you will hardly believe it and then it will be you posting your experience on here for the benefit of other potential bandsters. Best wishes for making your arrangements, let us know what they are. Take care, bigsister (sister to gillian) x