Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Hi Gillian,

Good luck with your GP (and me too when I build up the courage to go!), but in the end it is our decision and not something we have taken lightly. The email address Frederik repled to is 'frederik.serneels@ecfs.be'. He informed me the cost in 2009 is 4070 euros for a standard package as they are now including an xray the day after the operation to make sure everything is fine before you leave Belgium.

His email advised the following:-

Standard Package: 4070 euro

includes: - GASTRICBAND

- 6 taxi trips between airport, hotel, consultation and hospital.

- 3 nights in the hotel (***) near the hospital for 2 people. This means that you stay 1 night before and 1 night after the operation in the hotel.

- Your companion can stay 3 nights in the hotel (because most people bring someone with them).

- Your personal coach visit you the first evening in the hotel to explain the schedule, answer your questions and you receive his personal visitcard in order to reach him if you have problems or questions.

- Consultation at Dr. De Bruyne’s home office the evening before OR

Your personal coach accompanying you to the OR and assisting Dr. De Bruyne during the operation.

1 night in hospital after the operation + X- RAY day after operation.

Visit from your personal coach to give advice and diets to make a successful story and to give date’s and addresses for fill and unfill’s in your home country.

I was originally going to go through an agency but found the direct contact details from this forum and you save about £200 which is the agent's fee I think.

However I tried to get the 400 euros deposit transferred today and I need more info from Frederik before it can be done (not the easiest process in the world), so if anyone has any tips on transferring the deposit I would be grateful.

I am going to order a copy of the book you mentioned as it sounds very good ( one can never be over informed!)

I also hope someone else from the UK is having the op the same time as me (or at least someone who speaks English!) I am travelling with my husband, but it would be nice to meet someone at the hospital/hotel who is having the op at the same time, although I'm sure we will be fine with the support from this forum.

OMG only 58 days to go for you, that means only about 76 for me!! - I hadn't worked it out as my stomach does a flip every time I think about it :D.

Take care and let me know how you get on with your GP and Frederik. x

Edited by TC27

Hi Vanessa, thanks for the reply and for being honest with my questions..Im sure Ill have many more to ask you over the weeks to come too..youll be fed up of me! Its great to speak to people who have recently gone through it all..Im scared of running out of any available door at the hospital when its my time too! ( i wonder if anyone ever actually has?!) Let me know how your fill goes tomorrow,what city you having it in? Im interested to know how they do it,is it under xray etc? is it a 9cc band you have in? suppose he works with the same bands on most people? Did you have to give yourself the anti clot injections when you came out from banding? if so how long for and what are they like??.I hate needles!.Thanks anyway..I appreciate your honest answers..good luck for tomorrow!, Gillian x

Hi Gillian,

Good luck with your GP (and me too when I build up the courage to go!), but in the end it is our decision and not something we have taken lightly. The email address Frederik repled to is 'frederik.serneels@ecfs.be'. He informed me the cost in 2009 is 4070 euros for a standard package as they are now including an xray the day after the operation to make sure everything is fine before you leave Belgium.

- 3 nights in the hotel (***) near the hospital for 2 people. This means that you stay 1 night before and 1 night after the operation in the hotel.

- Your companion can stay 3 nights in the hotel (because most people bring someone with them).

- Your personal coach visit you the first evening in the hotel to explain the schedule, answer your questions and you receive his personal visitcard in order to reach him if you have problems or questions.

Your personal coach accompanying you to the OR and assisting Dr. De Bruyne during the operation.

Visit from your personal coach to give advice and diets to make a successful story and to give date’s and addresses for fill and unfill’s in your home country.

I was originally going to go through an agency but found the direct contact details from this forum and you save about £200 which is the agent's fee I think.

However I tried to get the 400 euros deposit transferred today and I need more info from Frederik before it can be done (not the easiest process in the world), so if anyone has any tips on transferring the deposit I would be grateful.

I am going to order a copy of the book you mentioned as it sounds very good ( one can never be over informed!)

I also hope someone else from the UK is having the op the same time as me (or at least someone who speaks English!) I am travelling with my husband, but it would be nice to meet someone at the hospital/hotel who is having the op at the same time, although I'm sure we will be fine with the support from this forum.

OMG only 58 days to go for you, that means only about 76 for me!! - I hadn't worked it out as my stomach does a flip every time I think about it :thumbup:.

Hi TC! thans for all the info you sent me..I think it works out not much different to paying seperatly now..Ill prob be paying about £70-£80 more, but I pay nothing until I get to the hospital and I dont want to lose my date im booked in for now as I have arranged all travel,work and childcare and my 2 dogs care around that date ,but thanks anyway i appreciate that..still Ill see if Frederick gets back to me!. I have nearly read that book I think, but its good to keep for after the op as there is lots of advice in it post op. I havent read it front to back though, I just pick chapters on various things that sound interesting and have got through it that way! wish it had more pictures in it though..and in colour! Vanessa on this forum is going for her first fill tomorrow,she has been banded 4 weeks now, so it will be intersesting to know how she goes on..she has been good enough to answer some of the questions I have asked and is honest in her answers too, which is what we need!,hope she goes on well tomorrow. where do you live TC? Im in Sheffield so the nearest place for a fill would be manchester for me I think?..Gillian x

Well it's a little over 2 weeks until i'm banded and i'm really nervous! in fact i have butterflies writing this!! funny how i've wanted this op for years but now i'm scared!!, this forum has really helped me tho think i'm worried about the travel arrangements more tho to be honest! anyone else being banded on 28th nov?

Hi Gillian,

OMG only 58 days to go for you, that means only about 76 for me!! - I hadn't worked it out as my stomach does a flip every time I think about it :thumbup:.

I transferred the cash prior to travelling...

ask to pay via worldpay.. it costs £9 compared to the other rate of £25.. quite a saving and one which my bank teller didnt offer ..it was quite by chance I found out about it.. once I got all the details correct from Frederick, the transfer of monies was very smooth...

I didnt tell me gp until after I'd had the op.. was so scared but she was very nice about it..

xray post op is a good idea.. I would have liked one myself.. the peace of mind is worth the extra charge.e

Hi Vanessa, thanks for the reply and for being honest with my questions..Im sure Ill have many more to ask you over the weeks to come too..youll be fed up of me! Its great to speak to people who have recently gone through it all..Im scared of running out of any available door at the hospital when its my time too! ( i wonder if anyone ever actually has?!) Let me know how your fill goes tomorrow,what city you having it in? Im interested to know how they do it,is it under xray etc? is it a 9cc band you have in? suppose he works with the same bands on most people? Did you have to give yourself the anti clot injections when you came out from banding? if so how long for and what are they like??.I hate needles!.Thanks anyway..I appreciate your honest answers..good luck for tomorrow!, Gillian x

HI Gillian.. dont worry I wont get fed up.. I'll be keen to know how you get on too..Im having my fill in Manchester.. its on an industrial estate just off the airport.. Its not under xray, you have to go back to brussels for that.. but you can have a fill under xray in MRI for £150..(not under Dr Chris) As for band size, he certainly put the same size in all us ladies that day.. not sure how he decides on size, maybe a question to ask him? let me know what he says..

As for injection, yes you have to take them for 5 to 7 days post op.. they supply youwith them.. inject into your stomach, grab a lump of flesh to the side of you belly button and plunge!!.. it stings but you get used to it.. alternate sides for injecting.. avoids bruising..

hope this is all helpful

vanessa

hi.. how did you get to see it on xray?..I should have weighed today, but have put it off cos i think I might have gained due to a very good appetite!!..

hi vanessa, before we could leave the hospital we had to go for a x-ray, we had to drink this disgusting laxative drink standing on a board with a xray machine in front of our tummy and swallow when told, so that he could make sure that the Fluid was going down ok. afterwards he asked us if we wanted to see the x ray.

Do you have any probs eating anything at all?

hi vanessa, before we could leave the hospital we had to go for a x-ray, we had to drink this disgusting laxative drink standing on a board with a xray machine in front of our tummy and swallow when told, so that he could make sure that the Fluid was going down ok. afterwards he asked us if we wanted to see the x ray.

Do you have any probs eating anything at all?

hi... I was banded 4 weeks ago but wasnt offered an xray.. shame cos I'd have like to have seen the band in situ.. Initially I had no appetite due to nausea, a couple of weeks actually.. now though, I can eat everything.. sometimes I get a heavy feeling in my chest , that can happen even if I havent eaten much..but it soon goes... I try to make a conscious effort to chew well.. apparently thats the secret to eating proper food with the band..

Hi, I have just been reading your comments about the travel and accommodation arrangements and I am just about to book the same package with Frederik. When do they give you all the information, regarding check-in hotel times, taxi tranfer etc.

Really confussed!!

Thanks

:D

Hi, I have just been reading your comments about the travel and accommodation arrangements and I am just about to book the same package with Frederik. When do they give you all the information, regarding check-in hotel times, taxi tranfer etc.

Really confussed!!

Thanks

hi.

e mail all your flight details to Frederick he will then arrange your taxi's... but he may not tell you its all arranged! so be prepared to email for confirmation nearer your departure.. The taxi driver will have an ECFS card, look for that, your name might not be on view...(this happened to me).. he will take you to your hotel.. book in as normal... Frederick will see you at your hotel . he will tell you what time you will be picked up the following morning..for me it was at 06.45am..Post op.. wait in reception, taxi will pick you up from there.

Hi TC, Chrissy and all you other ladies,

I have been reading your threads and its making me feel even more excited, if that can be possible LOL! Its great to known that others are feeling and thinking like me, its so reasurring. Thanks to you all for answering so many questions. I have booked my op for 16th December!!!! Can't wait and can't think of anything else.

Hi Gillian and other pre-banders

I have book for my band on the 16th December '08! Can't wait!!!! What about you, January is not that long away.

I love everyones comments, they're great. It's so nice to talk to people that know what it's like to be fat and unhappy about it. At last we have the courage to do something about it that will change our lives. I can't wait to see the slimmer me!!!!!!!!!

Hi Gillian.

That's no problem - the arrangements you have already made seem fine and not much more than I will be paying. You do seem very organised, I'm impressed.

I ordered the book you mentioned yesterday, so I might have it by tomorrow or Friday (looking forward to a good read)

Vanessa has kindly answered my questions too, so fingers crossed for her tomorrow.

I live in Sunderland, so I think the Edinburgh option would be the best for me, but Manchester is not that much further and either would be good to include a shopping trip/weekend away! x

Hi Vanessa

Thank you very much for that info. I got an email today from Frederik with the extra details my bank asked for, so when I go back to the bank I will ask if I can pay by worldpay. I will let you know how I get on, although Frederik did also say if there was still a problem with the bank I could pay the full amount when I get there. I would rather pay the deposit at least though and then it seems more real.

I'm unsure whether to go to my GP before or after my op -if I wait until after at least she wont be able to try and talk me out of it :)

I agree the x-ray the day after the op is a good idea and well worth the extra charge (not looking forward to the laxative drink mentioned by joyoyoung though!)

Good luck with your fill - let us know how you get on x

Hi Greek Lady

I think the people on this forum are great. They are so helpful and understanding. It's just nice to talk to people who know exactly how you feel about the whole process. I am still nervous but I'm also finally starting to feel excited that for once I might eventually be the slim person I long to be.

It's not long for you now - you will have to keep us all informed of your progress and just think by this time next year we will all be able to wear that little black dress at the Christmas parties and not the nicest looking tent from Evans (hurray!!!) x