Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone only get one fill?

I just had my first fill yesterday (4cc) in 10cc. I am still on liquids but I feel like things are tighter if that makes any sense. Has anyone only needed one? Also, how soon have you been able to tell? I am assuming that I will know when I go back on solid food on Monday.

wow..I know my Dr. only gave me 1.5 cc my first fill and he told me that was actually .5 more than usual for the first fill because I had one of the newer bands that had just been being used with this hospital. I have never heard of 4 cc's the first time, but I really only know what my Dr. does and I will be curious to hear if anyone else has had that much each time. My Dr. does the first fill 6-8 weeks post op and then adds every 6 weeks for the first 4 months or so, depending on tolerance or success. Maybe your band is different in diameter or something. I don't know much about the aparatus other than the things I've read make them all sound pretty much the same.

Also, reading the part about the eating rules, it does sound as if your Dr. just has a different way of doing his fills--I'm sure they all do. I watch "Big Medicine" on TLC and they do it different than you are saying and different than my Dr. too...so I'm sure it is just Dr. preferance....on my first fill I only had to have liquids the day of the fill, the next morning could eat full liquid or mushy food (scram eggs/ mashed pot.) and if I felt good with that, then I was free to have solids for lunch and supper.

Let us know how it is going. I'm sure you will be successful either way. I have only had the one fill and am supposed to go in on Monday and have the 2nd one, but still feel that I am getting full with the amount I have--so I will be curious on my ownself too!

jteastside - what size band do you have? Mine is a VG band and I think that the initial fills are bigger. Mine was done under a fluoroscope so I am hoping that this means that the doctor feels more comfortable giving me more to start with. I kind of have a lump in my throat now but maybe that is my imagination!

I am so bad, I don't remember the name, but I know he told me. I just did the fill in the office and didn't have to use xray or any scopes...just the syringe and my skin!! But I know they do use the scope or xrays alot when the port is harder to find.

I too get the lump in the throat when I'm full--like my stomach isn't so much feeling it, but my throat is, very strange!