Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is April, but you will know me as Ganuple from this point forward. I'm 29 (really...I'll be 30 in November!) . I have not yet been banded, but I am researching it. I am 5' 8" tall, 300 pounds, and have a BMI of 45.6.

My DH does not want me to get banded because he is scared of complications from the surgery. I'm scared of complications from staying as heavy as I am. I have tried many diets and exercise programs and nothing seems to be working.

I'm looking for all info about lap band...the good, the bad and the ugly. I'd like to be well informed and be able to explain to my DH and to my other family members what I am planning to do.

Welcome Ganuple---you have found a great place to start some research!!! My suggestion to you is to simply read through a variety of the threads, ask any specific questions you or your DH may have. You might consider reading some of the threads together.

Now, keep in mind, on this as well as most forums of this sort, there will seem to be a high percentage of complications. That is because when people have a problem, or just a question, or a fear, they post. There are not hundreds of posts each day stating "Another wonderful day" Another Trouble free day!"....when we have no problems we tend to just chat, and do our best to support those who are not having an easy day. Find out from your Dr. what he has as the newest stats on complications. Then come back here and read some more, and you will see that some of that VERY small number of complications---are not BAND problems, they are BANDSTER problems. Not a day goes by that someone does not post that they are eating when they shouldn't, or eating or drinking things they shouldn't, or are over filled, and they choose to stay that way....the band does not do this alone, and in order for it to be successful, it is something you must work to do. The statistics of complications are very low---but the vast majority of those are caused by the person, not the band!

I began this journey 17 months ago, at about your size. I am 5'9" and was 289 pounds. I have lost over 100 pounds, and I have my life back!!! I am in control again!!!

I cannot tell you how the band has helped me change my life---I hope to keep my band forever, and love what is has given me the power to accomplish.

Maybe your DH will go to a seminar with you---they give all the info there.

Good Luck to you----hang out, you will learn so much about the lap band!!!!

Kat

Hey Ganuple,

If your husband has doubts, get him to read the article Everybody Dreams at Medical Weightloss - world leader in gastric banding lapband surgery - Surgeon George Fielding talks about obesity surgery - NYU Medical Center, New York

This was written by a doctor who has had the lap-band himself. He explains about obesity, and how it is a medical condition just the same as any other adiction. You could also take him to a wls seminar if there is one near you. I did this with my hubby and he realised how serious I was. I am now booked in for my first appointment on Tuesday.

Keep researching, make a list of the pros and cons for both yourself and your husband. You don't have to rush the decision, and you do have to be sure it is right for you.

Hi there and welcome Ganuple!!

The last 2 posts are spot on! Great advice.

All I want to say is the article sewenup1 provided a link to is fantastic. I have been banded for 4 weeks and this article made me so emotional. I'm going to get my husband and parents to read it so they fully understand why I am on this journey. They have been supportive but this explains things so well.

Good luck with your journey and thanks sewenup1!

Nikki

I think this message board is just what I needed. I had lap band surgery 4 weeks ago, and do not know anyone else who has had it. I do however know several ladies who have had gastric bypass. I really did my homework and easily decided banding was the best method for me. I am 5'7" and weighed 259 pounds on August 1, 2007. I began the pre-surgery Protein diet the next day and had to stick with it for 3 weeks due to scheduling of my surgery. As of Tuesay this past week I have lost 29 pounds since that August 1st weigh in.

I do however need advice and support. Especially ideas of what to eat.

I made a mistake last week and had Peanut Butter toast for Breakfast two days in a row and suffered tremendously before I figured out what caused the pain. Looking forward to advice. :eek:

All,

Thank you so much for the welcome! And thank you for the links. I am scheduled to go to a wls in 2 wks. I'm going to do what I can to get DH to go w/ me.

I am so happy that I found this message board before I begin on this next phase of my life. :eek:

Y'all have a great day!

Ganuple

I just joined this site moments ago and like your hearts to track your progress, how can I add that too?

Here is the link for the ticker. Weight Loss - Diet Ticker

It will help you set up and then you just copy and paste into your address on this board.

Enjoy finding the ticker you want - there are hundereds.