Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to deal with Coworkers knowing you're getting this surgery! Tell or not to tell?

I didn't tell anybody for 2 months (sleeved 11/7/16). I just started telling a few people last week bc they've commented on my weight loss a lot. My face, hiney & belly are starting to get noticeably smaller. I felt I would rather tell a few people myself than have them speculate & gossip with everybody else. I didn't really want to tell anybody, but it's really getting obvious.

Plus, once I let the cat out of he bag I felt a high relief.

It's different for everybody - good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I see there are gossipers & nosy nellies in every office! :(

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I haven't told anybody except my close friend, husband, and a friend who had WLS. I was nervous about telling my friend because of the judgment of people having this type of surgery. I think that people are more open minded than you would expect. If your coworkers are going to find out anyway, beat them to the punch. Tell them your decision and be confident that you are making the right choice. Those people who are going to judge you for having this surgery are most likely going to be the same ones judging you for being fat. This surgery is for you and your well being and that is what is important.

I also decided not to tell any of my coworkers as they too love to gossip. I just feel that it is none of their business. I live in a very small town and also in medical field and i believe as soon as i tell one person that the whole town will find out in a matter if minutes. I dont want to be known as the girl who "took the easy way out" coz obviously ppl like to judge.

I had the VSG in August of 2015 and to date not a single coworker knows about it. I'm a very sociable person, but it's my preference to keep personal matters private. I started biking to work (perk of living in LA where we have nice weather year-round) two months post-op, and making healthier eating choices, so as I've lost weight they've assumed it was due to those improved habits.

Even though you work in the hospital, it seems like there would be some privacy provided for you if you sought it. If you do wish to share, go for it, but if you don't, that's your prerogative.

Yeah where is the hipaa and the privacy laws these days!! Everybody at my work knows and is gossiping behind my back about it but no one dares to confront me about it!! And every time I walk into the room it's like the white elephant!! And I can tell my boss is pissed off that I'm taking 3 to 4 weeks of FMLA, and being in the health field were always shorthanded!! So now all my coworkers have to pick up all that extra slack at work!! I'm at the point to just get the surgery and start looking for another job!!

well don't tell if they see your records then they'll know. I haven't explained myself to anyone except my mom, no one else deserves an explanation. What I choose to do is my business regardless how anyone feels. So relax and do what you feel is best for you. good luck : )