Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endurance sports post-op

I'm planning on a long hiking trip in May. A friend felt pretty strongly I should speak with my doctor about how/how much to eat during the trip. I did the same trip 3 years ago, and I'd say a typical day probably required around 3,000 to 4,000 calories given the long distances covered.

Frankly, I'm not concerned. Do others have experience with endurance sports post-surgery and dealing with the higher calorie need? I figured I'd graze during the trip or just shed a lot of weight (and probably both).

Thanks

@@ryan_86

Congrats! how long is your hike?

My disclaimer* :P I'm not a medical professional. I am into distance running. Always check with your dietician.

Increasing your calorie intake is an all day project with a tiny stomach. You also have to consider waiting a half hour to drink after you eat.(you don't want to get dehydrated)

Bariatric dietician suggested low carbs while in weight loss mode while competing up to a 10K race.

Sports medicine dietician suggested low glycemic carbohydrates with extended distance runs. I eat more carbs three days before a race. then back to my normal diet after training. Half marathon last year. Full marathon this year.

Honestly, it's hard for me to get 2100 calories in. I eat from 7:00am until midnight. I keep a small cooler with me. I eat in my car, at work, at home..at the gym. Never thought eating would be a chore.

About 85 miles over 6 days.

@@ryan_86

Congrats! how long is your hike?

Also trying to figure out how to get enough Protein without carrying a canister of powder or 10 pounds of Protein Bars. Ideas very welcome!

@@ryan_86

You did this hike before surgery. Out of curiosity...What did you take/carry for food on your last hike? What do you do for Water?

@@jenn1

This isn't a wilderness hike. It's a pilgrimage trail, the Camino de Santiago. sleeping in hostels, eating at cafes, so there's plenty of food and drinking Water on hand, but the food tends to be very carb heavy.

How did you get into running? I've been thinking about trying it. Last time I tried I developed stress fractures in both legs within the first week of mild jogging/walking on a treadmill.

@@ryan_86

Can you look up the cafe menus online? It will help you to pre-plan meals. Most restaurants slap the carbs on with your meal. I just eat the Protein and veggies.

I was inspired by bariatric patients that got into different sports. My first local bariatric meeting I met a woman that rode her mountain bike across the state of Iowa....Who does that? lol She's in her 60's she's amazing~!

I'm a stress eater...I changed that bad behavior into taking my stress to the gym. I started jog-walking. My goal was 5K in memory of my mom...I haven't stopped since. It's my best stress relief and I get runners high.

I'm older. It takes more time to bounce back from injuries. My goal is to continue this into my 60's and beyond if possible.