Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 months post-op, same weight & UPSET!

Hey all,

I haven't pasted in months (and even then it was only a couple of times) but I really need some insight. I got banded at the end of April and during the liquid phase lost about ten pounds. After a month, I was eating normally again, with NO restriction. I went for a fill at 6 weeks and after a torturous 10 minutes of digging around with the needle (it seriously traumatized me), the doctor sent me to the hospital to get it done under flouro. Still no luck. The port had flipped.

Depressed and mad, I waited another month to get the revision surgery, which after a heated debate, Dr. Alleyn agreed to do gratis. Apparently he put 1 cc in while I was in the operating room, but I'd never know it. Still I was free to eat half a medium pizza, or a large burger, tons of bread or Pasta without blinking. I GUZZLE 16-24 ounce bottles of Water in under 30 seconds. I went back to him two weeks ago to get another fill and GUESS WHAT?? Again he can't find it in his office, again I was crying out in pain from the digging around, and he coolly tells me, "if I had know how squeemish you were with needles, I'd have pushed the bypass." NO bedside manner whatsoever. So I went to the hospital again this morning, and after 10 minutes or so under the x-ray, he found it and gave me one more cc. That's two out of seven cc's my band apparently holds.

At this point I feel so angry at myself and the doc. I'm embarrassed because so many people know I had the surgery and I have lost NOTHING! I gained back the 10 pounds from the liquid diet. On top of it all, I paid out of pocket...$13,500 WASTED. I don't know what to do anymore, besides go back to weight watchers and work out an hour or two every day. I could have done that without wasting a wad of cash.

Anyway, I just needed to get that of my chest. I haven't eaten a real meal since the fill this morning and I truly hope I have an ounce of restriction. If it weren't for seeing the band on the x-ray when I initially got it, I would think he forgot to put it in.

Any words of wisdom or comfort would be greatly appreciated...

Julie 5'8"/31 f

255/255/165

Could you find another doctor in your area that will do fills? If your band holds 7cc, you have a lot of room to work with to get more restriction, so don't be too down just yet!

I would have a hard time going back to a doctor that was being that rude :)

I have had 2 fills and I still don't have any restriction; however, I consciously choose to eat less at a meal. I have started eating 5-6 small meals a day totalling 1500 calories. I make sure to eat Protein at each meal and I stick to healthy options like salad, lowfat cheese and wheat crackers, fruit, etc. I am exercising at least an hour 6 days a week with cardio and strength training. Even though I know I could eat tons of food, eating small meals through the day and exercising has made me lose weight without restriction. I plan to ride this as far as it will take me and then get another fill.

I agree, maybe you need a new doctor who is more sensitive to your needs. Try the six small meals a day w/exercise and let us know if it kick starts your weight loss.

Good luck!

Maybe it's just me, but 1500 calories sounds like a huge amount. I cannot go over 1000-1100 MAX without my loss stopping completely.

I'd give it about 3 weeks and then go back for another fill. I didn't get decent restriction until my 4th fill.

Uh...how many lapbands has this doctor done? I agree about going to another doctor for a fill, if there is any way to do it.

1500 calories is a lot compared to what we are supposed to be eating. 700-1000 is right around where we are supposed to be.

Stella, don't take this the wrong way, but after reading your post I get the feeling like you think that this band is a "miracle pill". If so, you are sadly mistaken. This is ONLY A TOOL to help. You can't be eating pizza, burgers and the like, especially in that quantity, if you want to lose weight. I think that you need to sit down with yourself and rethink your plan here.

I do agree that your physician's bedside manner is terrible and I also agree that two out of seven cc's is not enough, but you HAVE TO change your eating habits. You will continue at the same weight or even gain some if you're not careful. Plus, when you do get a good fill, you are going to stretch the pouch. PLEASE, PLEASE do this right! You will be so much happier in the end if you do!

Thanks for the replies. I know it seems like I think this is a "magic bullet", but honestly, I was better about eating BEFORE the surgery. I think I'm in this awful pity-party cycle that is hard to break... I successfully lost 45 lbs with weight watchers in the past. I thought that the lap band would allow me to occasionally eat a piece of pizza and be relatively satisfied with just one slice. I know I have to just suck it up and start holding myself accountable for my own weight-loss. I am visiting my parents (who actually paid for the procedure) at Thanksgiving and I really want them to feel like they didn't completely waste their money.

Again, thanks for all the thoughts and feedback. :)

Julie

With the right restriction, you will be totally satisfied with one slice of pizza. Having the correct fill makes all the difference in the world.

If I were you, I would definitely be looking for another doctor. Your doctor doesn't sound helpful. My doctor gives fills every 6 weeks. I told him I wanted an aggressive fill, and he listened.

After that, I started losing much better. I was full from a very

small amount of food.

You need to find a fill doctor who knows what he's doing. I never even feel it when I get a fill and the dr uses a flouro every time. You don't have to use your surgeon for fills.....shop around!

Hey all,

I haven't pasted in months (and even then it was only a couple of times) but I really need some insight. I got banded at the end of April and during the liquid phase lost about ten pounds. After a month, I was eating normally again, with NO restriction. I went for a fill at 6 weeks and after a torturous 10 minutes of digging around with the needle (it seriously traumatized me), the doctor sent me to the hospital to get it done under flouro. Still no luck. The port had flipped.

Depressed and mad, I waited another month to get the revision surgery, which after a heated debate, Dr. Alleyn agreed to do gratis. Apparently he put 1 cc in while I was in the operating room, but I'd never know it. Still I was free to eat half a medium pizza, or a large burger, tons of bread or Pasta without blinking. I GUZZLE 16-24 ounce bottles of Water in under 30 seconds. I went back to him two weeks ago to get another fill and GUESS WHAT?? Again he can't find it in his office, again I was crying out in pain from the digging around, and he coolly tells me, "if I had know how squeemish you were with needles, I'd have pushed the bypass." NO bedside manner whatsoever. So I went to the hospital again this morning, and after 10 minutes or so under the x-ray, he found it and gave me one more cc. That's two out of seven cc's my band apparently holds.

At this point I feel so angry at myself and the doc. I'm embarrassed because so many people know I had the surgery and I have lost NOTHING! I gained back the 10 pounds from the liquid diet. On top of it all, I paid out of pocket...$13,500 WASTED. I don't know what to do anymore, besides go back to weight watchers and work out an hour or two every day. I could have done that without wasting a wad of cash.

Anyway, I just needed to get that of my chest. I haven't eaten a real meal since the fill this morning and I truly hope I have an ounce of restriction. If it weren't for seeing the band on the x-ray when I initially got it, I would think he forgot to put it in.

Any words of wisdom or comfort would be greatly appreciated...

Julie 5'8"/31 f

255/255/165

Julie

Frist I am sorry for your flipped port and glad that your doctor repaird for free and sorry you don't have restriction.

But am going to give you words of widsom - not comfort and I don't mean to offend or piss you off, but i think you need a little wake up call.

You are not going to lose weight without #1 good food choices (hamburgers, pizzas, Pasta etc are not good choices) #2 Excercise

The band only controls your portions not what you are putting in your mouth - I understand that you don't have restriction but you gotta make better food choices - that up to you not the band and you do need to exercise too. Imho i think that going to ww in conjunction with the band is an excellent idea - WW you learn to eat healthly and the band helps with Portion Control - That is what i am doing - I don't go to actual WW meeting but I eat like i did when I was on WW, log my food and count calories & Protein - that in combination with my band is why I am losing - along with going to the gym 5 days a week. I feel that i am doing most of the work here as i do get hungry - i do want chips - tacos - fired foods period - but i don't eat then and if i don't get full on my dinner - i add more veggies to my plate - not the rice (which is what i want)

Your doc doesn't numb you up before he fills you?? IMHO that's plain stupid - It took my doc forever to find the fill spot in my port - but he had numbed me up so - he could poke all he wanted to...

You state you haven't eaten all day - you got eat healthy to lose.

My doc makes to go on full liquids for the 1st week of a fill then 1 week mushie - 1 week soft - 4th regular food. Going on Soups for a week helped me - i had restiction that first week - but have loosed up quite a bit -

When you go back to your doc - TELL him to numb you up 1st then meet with his dietician and get some help with what you should be doing to lose the weight - you paid for the help of the band now ask for it from your doctor - he took your $$$

Goodl Luck...

I really think I know how you feel, but there really is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow... I was sooo frustrated! I lost weight pre op and did well on the liquid phase but then...NO RESTRICTION. It was hell!! I could eat whatever, where ever and people were like.."Oh, we thought you had weight reduction surgery.."It was so bad. I thought my band had a leak or was misplaced BUT it was all due to the lack of fill. It took 3 fills and 4.6cc's for me to notice I even have a band. Now finally I can't eat. Any meats, solids, breads etc. cause me to vomit. So now I am finally FORCED to eat soft foods, smaLL amounts and VOILA, the weight is coming off!!! It was all a matter of the right fill. Without full restriction the band doesn't work and it is all too easy to fall back into old habits. We are human, we are over eaters, so of course you are not losing weight until you get proper restriction. And hey, this Dr needs to give you fills under fluoro at all times. What is he thinking...nobody should tolorate being a human pincushion..

:faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint:

Maybe it's just me, but 1500 calories sounds like a huge amount. I cannot go over 1000-1100 MAX without my loss stopping completely.

I'd give it about 3 weeks and then go back for another fill. I didn't get decent restriction until my 4th fill.

Uh...how many lapbands has this doctor done? I agree about going to another doctor for a fill, if there is any way to do it.

I can't go much under 1200-1500 calories or my body goes into starvation mode and I won't lose any. I am losing 2-2.5 lbs per week and I exercise 6 days a week. I feel great! I would agree that most people are eating around 800-1000. I have only had 2 fills and I don't have restriction so I can easily eat enough food to total 1500. I figure as long as I am losing at 1500 why restrict myself.