Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting sleeved with a baby

Hello everyone. I am the original poster. I did decide to postpone my surgery until June at which point my daughter will be almost 14 months. Now the obstacle I'm dealing with is my family giving me a guilt trip for wanting to wean her. I have just about 2 months from now to accomplish this and I feel it is totally doable but they aren't being supportive. 😕

Do what makes you happy.

Sleeved 4/15/17
Height: 5'6"
HW: 267
SW: 244
Current: 236

This is the hardest obstacle I've ever tackled next to parenting, but I think I got this.

Yes, I breastfed 3 children for a year each.

Transformme is the perfect example of why to wean. She is having major hormonal fluxuations... One day she's crying, the next she's venomous against any naysayers. Sure. As though those hormones won't end up in the milk...

She is correct. Do what you want.

You make a lot of assumptions. Im not being "venomous" towards anyone. I don't think it's helpful to tell people what they can and can not do.

I was upset when I thought my supply was gone (like anyone could be) but after speaking to a group of supportive women I got focused and it's coming back. I am actually quite happy with my life and everyone/everything in it.

You can take what I said however you'd like. 🤣

Sleeved 4/15/17

Current: 234

This is the hardest obstacle I've ever tackled next to parenting, but I think I got this.

3 hours ago, transmformme said:

I'm sorry but I am able to get plenty of liquids down. I'm 8 days post op and drinking 70 fl oz a day Protein and 30/40 fl oz of Water. I have been power pumping, drinking Protein Shakes with added vitamins/brewers yeast/fenugreek and drinking mothers tea to boost my supply, feeding my baby every 2 hours and it's coming back. Anything is possible if you want it bad enough. I had a weak moment yesterday but after support from my breastfeeding group and following their advice I'm in a better place.

Also, my doctor was fully aware that I have a 4 month old and that I am breastfeeding. He told me to bring my pump and pump/dump in the hospital etc...

Ladies do whatever makes you happy. You can do whatever you want! Every single day gets easier for me.

Sleeved 4/15/17

I'm glad you're doing so well, then! If you have the blessing of your surgeon and it's working for you then it's obviously working for you. Wishing you all the success in the world at breastfeeding!

I'm glad you're doing so well, then! If you have the blessing of your surgeon and it's working for you then it's obviously working for you. Wishing you all the success in the world at breastfeeding!

Thank you!

Sleeved 4/15/17

3 hours ago, transmformme said:

I'm not sure why people are posting their personal experiences as if they're the same across the board for everyone. I have a 3, 1 and 4 month old and have been chasing after them since day 3 post op. I am not tired. I have no issues getting my fluids down. I'm not sick. I stopped taking pain meds after day 3. etc...stop discouraging people.

Sleeved 4/15/17

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from anything. Someone asked for advice and I gave the most realistic, balanced advice I could think of based on my post op experience as a mom. I'm glad you're doing so well but you can't expect that EVERYONE will. Hearing multiple perspectives seems the best way to make a well-thought-out decision, is it not? Your perspective, the perspective of someone still having a tough time a month later...

Plan for the worst, then be happy when you get the best, right?

7 minutes ago, transmformme said:

Thank you! emoji4.png

Sleeved 4/15/17

I know firsthand how hard but also how amazingly rewarding it can be. I'm glad you're working through your supply issues and have good support to keep it going. :D I would be very very happy to hear you prove me wrong that it can't be done post op.

Edited by teacupnosaucer

I know firsthand how hard but also how amazingly rewarding it can be. I'm glad you're working through your supply issues and have good support to keep it going. I would be very very happy to hear you prove me wrong that it can't be done post op.

I don't need to prove you right or wrong. It can be done post op. I am doing it now. If you search the forum you will find another thread where people have posted their success with breastfeeding post op. There is also someone who posted it is possible and provided tips on how to do so.

Yes having different perspectives is great but telling people to choose either or isn't valuable IMO. Some people who haven't had surgery are scared, thinking worst case and searching these threads for advice (at which they then take as bible). The last thing they need to hear is someone telling them to choose between having their surgery and breastfeeding their child/children.

Anyway, thanks for the "well wishes".

Sleeved 4/15/17

18 minutes ago, transmformme said:

I don't need to prove you right or wrong. It can be done post op. I am doing it now. If you search the forum you will find another thread where people have posted their success with breastfeeding post op. There is also someone who posted it is possible and provided tips on how to do so.

Yes having different perspectives is great but telling people to choose either or isn't valuable IMO. Some people who haven't had surgery are scared, thinking worst case and searching these threads for advice (at which they then take as bible). The last thing they need to hear is someone telling them to choose between having their surgery and breastfeeding their child/children.

Anyway, thanks for the "well wishes".

Sleeved 4/15/17

I'm not saying you have to prove me right or wrong? I'm just genuinely saying to you I am glad to be proven wrong and happy for you that you are doing well breastfeeding post-op. I'm admitting I was wrong in my initial post. I didn't think you could breastfeed post-surgery due to the typical limitations of the post op diet where many people struggle to get in enough calories and fluids to maintain their own bodies let alone making milk for another person, but you're doing it and that's great. Honestly. I'm really not sitting here hoping you fail just so I can feel superior, okay? I'm really not that much of a b***h LOL.

I didn't mean "choose breastfeeding or surgery" period forever and ever, I just meant... if you feel very strongly about breastfeeding as a mother, then postponing your surgery is the best way to make sure you are able to breastfeed as long as you want. For some people delaying the surgery 6 months to a year is better than potentially risking that chance to breastfeed. That's a fair comment to make. Not everyone is going to make it work as you have. For some people like you it will work and is working, and for some people they won't be able to make it work... and among that second group there will be moms who make the transition to formula without too much guilt or sadness, and others for whom that will be a much harder thing to deal with. Moms in that second group may very well say "it's not worth it to risk having surgery now when I can have it 6 months from now when my baby isn't EBF anymore". I'm sorry I didn't communicate that very well in my initial post, but that's all that I meant. Realistic expectations based on the typical experiences of post-op diet and Fluid intake as per everything I've read and seen from people postop on this and other forums.

As far as I'm concerned, the last thing a person needs to hear is "go ahead and have the surgery and I promise your recovery will go great and you'll definitely be able to breastfeed no problem!" and then that woman not doing as well as all that and feeling like a failure. So how about a balance of "it can be done but depending on your recovery it's not guaranteed so weigh the pros and cons for you and your baby"?

My well wishes to you were and are genuine so there's no need for scare quotes implying some kind of ulterior motive or ill intent on my part. I've been nothing but genuine and polite to you in the course of this thread, but by all means, treat me however you like.

I'm not saying you have to prove me right or wrong? I'm just genuinely saying to you I am glad to be proven wrong and happy for you that you are doing well breastfeeding post-op. I'm admitting I was wrong in my initial post. I didn't think you could breastfeed post-surgery due to the typical limitations of the post op diet where many people struggle to get in enough calories and fluids to maintain their own bodies let alone making milk for another person, but you're doing it and that's great. Honestly. I'm really not sitting here hoping you fail just so I can feel superior, okay? I'm really not that much of a b***h LOL.
I didn't mean "choose breastfeeding or surgery" period forever and ever, I just meant... if you feel very strongly about breastfeeding as a mother, then postponing your surgery is the best way to make sure you are able to breastfeed as long as you want. For some people delaying the surgery 6 months to a year is better than potentially risking that chance to breastfeed. That's a fair comment to make. Not everyone is going to make it work as you have. For some people like you it will work and is working, and for some people they won't be able to make it work... and among that second group there will be moms who make the transition to formula without too much guilt or sadness, and others for whom that will be a much harder thing to deal with. Moms in that second group may very well say "it's not worth it to risk having surgery now when I can have it 6 months from now when my baby isn't EBF anymore". I'm sorry I didn't communicate that very well in my initial post, but that's all that I meant. Realistic expectations based on the typical experiences of post-op diet and Fluid intake as per everything I've read and seen from people postop on this and other forums.
As far as I'm concerned, the last thing a person needs to hear is "go ahead and have the surgery and I promise your recovery will go great and you'll definitely be able to breastfeed no problem!" and then that woman not doing as well as all that and feeling like a failure. So how about a balance of "it can be done but depending on your recovery it's not guaranteed so weigh the pros and cons for you and your baby"?
My well wishes to you were and are genuine so there's no need for scare quotes implying some kind of ulterior motive or ill intent on my part. I've been nothing but genuine and polite to you in the course of this thread, but by all means, treat me however you like.

Thank you for explaining that. I agree with your comments.

Sleeved 4/15/17