Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I try a diet one more time? Did anyone else feel this way?

I am going round and round with this question.

Should I try a diet and exercise program one more time?

Or should I do the surgery and continue to work on the emotional issues that may be causing me to overeat in the 1st place?

I know this is up to me and only I can make this decision for myself.

I have been approved for lap band surgery. My BMI is 44 and I have been 80 to 100 lbs overweight for 20 years now - since I had my 1st child.

I am an emotional eater. Anyone else relate?

Those of you that are emotional eaters did you find it was easier after surgery to deal with this? I am concerned that I will find ways to cheat and feed my emotions and be one of the people who doesn't loose weight.

This is my biggest fear if I were to have the surgery.

Were you confident this was going to work for you?

I am a skeptic because it feels as though I have tried everything and my emotions seem to get the best of me.

Your response is greatly appreciated!

I said the same thing, I went on line and researched, even spoke with one of the "reps" on the phone, heard the price and decided to diet one more time. 6 months later I had gone from 305 to 290, but had some scary health situations that told me "you better do something quick and permanent". I am so glad I did not go for gastric bypass as one friend had done. I feel the band has taught me better control of my portion size and the speed at which I eat. I make healthy choices 95% of the time. Find I can still over eat if I am "in a mood" and take my time. But those times have been fewer and farther between as time goes by. I believe that one day I will no longer use food as a tranquilizer. My main problem so far, what is holding my weight loss back in lack of regular exercise.

Hi Kims,

I was in your situation almost two months ago and I decided to go ahead with the surgery. The surgery won't solve all your problems with weight but will give you an edge and a tool that you've never had before. You still have to excerise, work on your emotional eating issues, and demonstrate self control.

I just refused to give up and knew I couldn't do it all on my own. I still battle emotional eating issues and go to counsceling and support groups to make sure I'm doing everything possible to battle this demon.

gingersnap

Kims I am in the EXACT same spot as you are! I faxed my application in yesterday and today am thinking --- gee, I should just try it on my own one more time. the diet and exercising, maybe join WW this time... Will/can I for once hang on to a healthy lifestye for longer than two weeks or even two months on my own?? Unfortunately, I think I know the answer already, but this is such a huge decision. Let me know what you decide!

I'll tell you what made me go for it. Yes i could work hard and lose the weight, but i didn't want to spend the rest of my life gaining and losing. i wanted a permanent solution. The truth is with the band you still have to work at it but you have a tool that helps you out when you are weak. Iam almost 6mos out now and i have lost 50 lbs. i still eat pretty much what i want but i try to make healthier choices and always eat my Protein first. I usually get full before i can move on to anything else. i try to exercise at least 3x a week. I lose alot slower if i don't, not to mention it will help things tighten back up. I don't regret having the surgery at all. well occassionally i get frustrated when i want to eat more and i can't but that is what ithe band is there for. Good luck!

I think the key question for you is this, why would this time be any different than the last 20 years worth of attempts?

What you are going through is normal. We all went through it. You'll even 2nd guess getting the band after you are banded. You might go as far as to consider removing it. It's all normal and as it should be.

Maybe it's time to suck it up and admit you are one of us? :D You need help doing this and nothing more. Having the band gives you one less issue to deal with so you can work on the emotional stuff.

Don't be surprised if the emotional stuff is different from what you expected. Lots of new things will come up and you'll discover issues you didn't know you had. It's all part of the process.

Good luck!

As everyone else has said - I think we all go through this.

I can't answer any of your long term questions as I am only 3 weeks out.

I too agonized over something as drastic as surgery. I asked myself how I got to this point? What have I done to myself? Should I try dieting again? What if … ?

I've lost weight on diets before - only to gain it all back, usually plus some. I don't want to go through that cycle any more. It’s not good for you physically or mentally. The rate of people who successfully lose weight AND keep it off for a long period of time is shockingly low.

I finally just decided it's time to start taking care of myself and more importantly stop kidding myself that I can do this on my own.

Good luck in your decision.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hi,

You know, if our way worked to start with, we wouldn't have even thought about having a band. I have had to accept that my way has never worked, and if it did, it was only short term to once again be followed with more weight gain. I am 46 years old and at times I have had great will power to lose weight, but at the times when I was "emotional" eating, there was nothing there to stop me or even make me think twice about it.....then as you know it's too late. With the band as a absolutely wonderful tool, when I do have those times when I want to "emotionally" eat, the band makes me think twice, I get uncomfortable over eating and it stops me.....gives me time to think, hurts if I overeat, etc., etc., etc. There has always been a glimour of hope that I will eat normal again on my own......well I am here to tell you that is HOGWASH! My 25 years of experience show me that.....I was banded on May 24th and am down 60 lbs......I feel the best I have ever felt in my life. I no longer take meds for High Blood Pressure and I am off ALL diabetic medicine....I take no meds anymore. This is not to say my life is perfect, but the band has become my tool and my assistant when it comes to eating. I have had to admit I am powerless of food and my life was totally unmanageable until I got my band. I LOVE IT!! Also, please benefit from the experience of all the old time banders on this site.....their experience is phenominal and sooo valuable......they are our ANGELS!

Welcome, I thought about doing the one last try thing, but really REALLY what is the point? It will end up just like all the rest and I will be pissed off and hate me, so I just went ahead with the band! Best thing that I ever did!

Start your diet now. Start your lap band process now. In a few months you can make either choice. You can always just not get the lapband, if the diet works out.

It's true.. if dieting is all it was going to take to get you there, why hasn't it happened in 20 years?

I don't think you really need a lecture on it, you know :D

Good luck with your journey!

I had the same choice 18 months ago. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and went on a diet specifically to avoid medication for diabetes. I lost 38 lbs in just 6 months, but less than 3 months later I was gaining again, with my blood sugar skyrocketing. I had surgery 2 weeks ago, and I'm still kicking myself over those lost months. I'd be thin and healthy by now! What was I so afraid of? Did I really think ONE MORE diet would be different?

Your approval for the lapband may be based on your current BMI of 44. If you went on a diet and dropped to a BMI of 35 (that's probably 40-50lbs difference), would you still be covered for surgery, or would you have to "weight" until you'd gained everything back again?

Where do you want to be this time next year?

I lost between 80-97 pounds four different times only to gain it all back plus more. I got the band in hopes that when I lose it this time, I will be able to maintain my weightloss. I knew if I tried dieting on my own "just one more time" that it would be "just one more failure."

I am going round and round with this question.

Should I try a diet and exercise program one more time?

Or should I do the surgery and continue to work on the emotional issues that may be causing me to overeat in the 1st place?

I know this is up to me and only I can make this decision for myself.

I have been approved for lap band surgery. My BMI is 44 and I have been 80 to 100 lbs overweight for 20 years now - since I had my 1st child.

I am an emotional eater. Anyone else relate?

Those of you that are emotional eaters did you find it was easier after surgery to deal with this? I am concerned that I will find ways to cheat and feed my emotions and be one of the people who doesn't loose weight.

This is my biggest fear if I were to have the surgery.

Were you confident this was going to work for you?

I am a skeptic because it feels as though I have tried everything and my emotions seem to get the best of me.

Your response is greatly appreciated!

In my opinion, diets do not and never have worked.

The Lap-Band works IF the patient is willing to modify their lifestyle.