Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you/did you pay for this?

I found out today that my insurance company excludes weightloss surgeries, no ifs ands or buts. No first denial, appeals or anything. Just not even an option. So, I guess the question is, how do you plan to pay for this surgery or how did you pay for the surgery? I need ideas and suggestions.

Thanks all!

Hi Ryan, I used a home equity line of credit for the $16,000 I paid. I'm in Canada and there is an outfit (Credit Medical) that finances 'cosmetic surgery' procedures (which the band is mistakenly classed :angry). I don't think they require collateral but probably would need to have a good income/steady job-I'm sure the interest rate is on the high side. I don't know if there is a similar type of company in the States-most likely there is.

It seems that a number of folks travel to Mexico to get the procedure done at a significantly reduced cost. I think someone considering that would need to research that option well because either you go back to Mexico for fills/de-fills or you'll need a local doctor willing to do them-no doubt for a significant fee.

Good luck!

Hi Ryan, my insurance would'nt pay for my surgery,so I had a low interest credit card took a loan out for $8000 went to Acunia Mexico to have my surgery. The cost then was about $7,300. That was October 2006. ~Betty

Hello~ I am also self pay. I ended up putting mine on a credit card with a pretty low interest rate, then playing the balance transfer game to get even lower interest. It was somewhat of a difficult decision, because I do have some sizable bills to pay off. But, I don't have a car payment, and I figured many people spend more than $10k on a car, and I needed the surgery. Once I committed, the rest was easy for me! There are also medical loans if you put that in a search engine, but you have to watch the interest rates.

That said, I was going to go to Mexico because there are fabulous surgeons, but I hit road blocks when it came to fills. I did research and ended up choosing Dr. Kirshenbaum at Lap Band Surgery in Denver Colorado | Lap Band Surgeon in Denver | Gastric Band Surgery Denver | Bariatric Surgery in Denver. He is INCREDIBLE!! TOP NOTCH surgeon, wonderful personality, and I can't say enough about him. He is doing the LapBand for $9950, as he wants an alternative to the Mexico doctors for his self pay patients. His price does NOT mean lower quality or care!

I had my surgery last week. I am a 6 hour drive from him, then there was a gentleman from NYC ($27k there!), and one from Kentucky. He has had patients from Alaska, Canada, and more.

His first 3 months of fills are free, then $15 from then on. Many folks get a plane ticket to come back for fills, because that is often cheaper than a local doc (if you can find one who will do a fill!)

Let me know how the journedy goes!!

good luck!

I took $6000 out of my 401K another $2000 from my savings and had my band put in in Monterrey Mexico. When I filed my taxes this year, I paid tax on my $6000, but found there was no penalty because it was to pay for a medical procedure....that is exept from the penalty! The doctor and hospital in Mexico were wonderful, follow-ups/fills have been easy too. I do live 10 mins from the Mexico border and speak Spanish, so that helps!

People do all kinds of things to pay for surgery. They do anything from taking it from savings, obtaining a bank loan, medical finance co's, etc.

I've seen people refinance their homes, sell personal belongings, and even dumpster dive for treasures and sell them on ebay.

There is usually a way and if you want this badly enough, you'll find the way that is best for you.

Mexico is around $8K give or take a couple of hundred dollars. It can be a very safe experience but do your research. Research absolutely everything.

Thank you so much. That is a MUCH more doable option. I have a great flexible spending account too. So, fills may be doable locally. I'll have to research that. I'm also in Kentucky, so seeing that there was a patient from KY gives me a little bit of hope. I'm feeling much better about all of this since I got a good nights sleep last night. My 3 month old actually slept through the night. YAY! My FIL works in Denver very frequently too. I'm so happy that a Dr. feels strongly enough about this that he is trying to give an alterntative to going out of the country for this!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thank you so much. I agree that if you want it bad enough you will make it happen. And I want this pretty badly, so I am set to do what I have to. Like I said in an earlier post, I was pretty devistated yesterday, but after a good nights sleep, I'm ready to figure out how to make this work.