Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are Tummy Tucks a must after losing 100 plus?

Hey Guys,

Has anyone lost 100#s or even more and the skin seemed to tighten as the weight was lost? If so, any secrets? Lotions or oils used to keep the skin elastic? I am sure the age of the person will make a difference as well...

Please share your thoughts and experiences...

Thanks a bunch!:confused:

It really depends. I'd say for most of us yes PS is inevitable, or at least the desire for it. Things that my doc says works against you are your age, existing stretch marks, fair skin and if you already have a pannis hanging down.

Being younger and of darker complexion though is NO guarantee that you won't need PS. There is mixed advice out there about exercises and lotions. But the prevalent medical opinion seems to be that it really won't help shrink the skin. Exercises work muscle not skin. They can help a little in making the skin hang over nice muscles instead of flab but it won't really shrink the skin.

I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that lotions or wraps with seaweed extract are being found to help promote better skin elasticity and therefore "shrinkage" but haven't been able to commit adequate time to using it to see if it really works. The information I had said it worked best if applied with heat for 15+ minutes once a day. I have the lotion but not a good way to apply heat or the time it would take to slather myself up, heat and rinse with a full time job and a toddler running around.

The other non-scientific method I've heard of involves intense massage. This one sounded as lame as the other to me but I had seen some promising before/afters on a TV show so I gave it a try on just one arm. If you do a search for a thread marked "excess skin issues" you will find some photos of my arms. I actually managed to lose 3" in my left arm just from massaging it. Now I'm working to get my other arm to catch up.

I don't know if i will have to continue to massage my arms to maintain the loss or if the change is permanent. But even if I have to do it once or twice a week for the rest of my life I think I could manage.

genetics, age, Water intake, smoking........ all factors.... who the heck knows if you'll need it or not............ only time will tell

I think I'm going to do a search on the thread Diane mentioned above about massage for my batwings............ flap flap :confused:

yuck..they actually have a name for that thing that hangs down off the stomach. Pannis :confused: I would love to see how your massage works. Is it a special massage or just stimulation of the skin? I can definitely handle a massage routine if that works. Just trying to get a good game plan when the weight starts falling off :) To bad the extra skin doesn't just fall off too :)

I just rub the heck out of them for short periods of time whenever I think of it throughout the day. For example while sitting at a red light in traffic or now while I'm posting this. I doubt I rub for more than a minute or two at any given time. But I do rub hard enough to occasionally turn the skin pink (very fair skinned). Kind of like when you give someone a knuckle rub on thier head, or holding my hand in a rigid karate chop type pose and using the side of my hand to rub.

Haven't figured out how to do this very effectively to my inner thighs though and haven't been able to convince DH to consider it part of intimate foreplay:eyebrows:.

I did start seeing results on my arm within days. It took about a month to get to 2" and maybe 2 months to get to 3" though I don't do it as often as I use to, skipping days here and there. I would LOVE to have someone else here give it a try. Take some pre/post measurements and let me know how it works.

Diane, That picture is pretty convincing that it works! wow! Have you started working on your "pannis"...or the personal fanny pack? :rolleyes: I have some wooden foot rollers that may work without the sore arm issue. I may have to give it a try. One arm only....just to see if it works. Awesome idea!

Ok, is it suppose to be painful? I'm trying it, figuring out what you're talking about.. but it hurts.. I know beauty is pain, but wanted to make sure this is right!

Heather - because of my shoulder pain and the fact I'm already scheduled for PS on my tummy in 3 weeks I haven't really done any serious massage to my pannis. Though I would think if it really is helping the skins tone and overall "health" that it might help with a quicker recovery and better results, at least it couldn't hurt.

I've also heard recently about a technique called "skin brushing" that is suppose to help but haven't tried it yet.

Skin : Women Beauty

Whole Health Clinic - Dry Skin Brushing

I rub it hard enough it sometimes turns the skin pink but I can't say that it ever hurt the arm I was rubbing. The shoulder of the hand I'm doing the rubbing with has been a different story though. I went at it a bit too vigourously at the start and somehow pinched a nerve in my other shoulder. Or it might be just a coincidence and I just slept on it wrong. But if it is hurting I'd say take it just a bit easier. And PLEASE let me know if you see any results within a week. I'd love to know I wasn't crazy.