Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with Solid Food - too much freedom

Hi fellow sleevers1. I'm ten weeks post surgery and on week 3 of solid foods. I am REALLY struggling with the diet. I did so well the first 7 weeks because it was prescribed - the disciplined approach to what I could and couldn't eat was wonderful for me. Now that I'm on my own so to speak, my bad habits are coming back. I'm really really struggling. My weight hasn't changed in 3 weeks but my body is visibly shrinking. I am so scared. Has anyone found a meal plan that is working for them? I am so good when I know exactly what I can and can't have. This freedom is too much for me. Help!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am doing low carb/moderate-to-high protein/high healthy fat. I did this throughout my six-month pre-op diet, continued it through the food stages (even having to stay on liquids an extra week because I wouldn't eat the food in one of the stages because it was all carb laden), and now that I am "on my own" so-to-speak.

I am now averaging 900-1000 calories per day, less than 20 carbs per day, and around 100 grams of Protein per day.

I lost 99 pounds pre-op, and as of today, I have lost another 47 pounds since the surgery on September 28 for a total of 146 pounds. If you restrict the carbs, it should help your weight loss.

The foods I eat in one day are as follows:

Meal #1: 1 scrambled egg and 2 pieces of bacon

Meal #2: 4 oz cottage cheese with 2 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

Meal #3: 2 oz salmon (cooked with 1/2 tsp olive oil) with 1 oz green Beans

Meal #4: 1 string cheese

Meal #5: 2 oz hamburger steak with 1 oz green Beans

Meal #6: 1 string cheese with 1 oz salmon (cooked with 1/2 tsp olive oil)

Meal #7: 2 oz salmon (cooked with 1/2 tsp olive oil) with 1 oz green beans

Meal #8: 4 oz cottage cheese with 2 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

I eat the same thing every day.

What kinds of things are you eating every day?

Bariatric cookbooks are a great tool.....there are great recipes and u will love the new tastes..u will even find that foods u used to eat cannot be tolerated anymore..just remember you had surgery as a weight loss tool not surgery to handle all issues related to wt loss..don't be afraid to ask for professional help if needed..

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I would absolutely recommend looking at the various bariatric food blogs/sites and cookbooks (Pinterest is a great help as well). If you can get yourself on a meal plan, then it removes alot of those temptations. I know it is hard. I live with a diabetic so you can imagine we are a fun pair to try to feed. LOL Paleo recipies have also been a life saver for us.

I chose to go with rotating meats/fish by day and try to find diabetic and bariatric recipies to go with the meats. cheese is a huge staple of my diet. I love cheese and it's been fun to try new cheeses to snack on. I find that by looking up recipies and planning around those, I feel like I have alot more choices that I wouldn't have if I did a prescribed meal plan. I like choices.

Thank you guys so much. I think I'm in the "Time to Face Reality" phase and am having a hard time letting go of the fact that I have to live on a prescriptive plan. I am fairly certain I have a carb addiction and I just need to let them go as much as I can once and for all. I am going to go see what I can find and am going to set a schedule. I know I can get through this. Thanks for your supportive replies

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

there are several great cookbooks and blogs. On the blog end, I really like bariatric foodie and the world according to eggface. Eggface periodically does posts titles "a day in my pouch" - she had RNY over 10 years ago. In those posts she lays out everything she ate that day and includes recipes.

I also plan my week's meals ahead of time - usually saturday evening, then shop sunday morning and meal prep sunday afternoon. I log everything into my fitness pal ahead of time - that way if i need to make adjustments to get my carb level down or Protein level up on a given day I can adjust before the actual day. Then I stick to that plan. It helps deter me from making mindless choices during a day. I already know what I can have that day and if on the day, I want something additional - I already know where I am macro-wise and whether I can fit it in my plan.

I would also suggest some counseling - quite a few of us need it - to get at the root of why you struggle with the freedom and to help you figure out good coping mechanisms for you on getting past the carb addiction. It really helps.

First off, I totally get you. What helps me is this: Eat your Protein first. If you do that, the way the sleeve works, you'll feel full. When you're full and satisfied, you can make better choices on what you eat next. I know it seems simplistic but it's a great place to start.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App