Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My whole adult life I've been heavy. That's about to change.

Sleeved on 11/21. Beth Israel (BIDMC) in Boston.

Wednesday will be my 30 day anniversary.

That FLEW by... I mean, FLEW by. I can't believe it's been 30 days this week.

Anyway...

My pre-surgery weight was 348 (11/1)

My surgery weight was 339 (11/21)

As if 12/18, I'm 316.

Total weight loss as of 12/18 - 32 lbs.

The journey started off a little bumpy.

This whole thing started back in 2014 when it was recommended by my primary that I should look into surgery. My wife balked as she stated it was "dangerous" and was concerned that it would be something too "risky".

We actually attended a seminar and I was impressed with the advances, but my wife was still concerned.

My physician tried to assure her, but we both decided that I should try more traditional means.

Of course, 6 months with a personal trainer lifting weights and doing cardio took off 27lbs, but I hurt my my hip and my knee, stopped working out and quickly gained back that 27 pounds PLUS another 10 on top of that. Yes, the Yo-Yo effect is something I've dealt with for years. Work also hadn't helped. After selling my company in February of 2014, it was expected that I take over a team in New Jersey. Let's just say living in a Hilton with too much eating out, too many meetings with wine and drinks, I put even more weight on.

By the end if the summer of 2015, I had another doctor visit who then looked at my numbers and said the following:

"You're not diabetic, YET. Your blood work is passable, not great and your blood pressure is just about normal, but it's getting higher." She then approached the topic of WLS surgery and said, "I'll talk to your wife." We decided this was the right option and moved forward.

After originally getting a surgery date of 9/12, my insurance provider (which was through my wife's employer), actually blocked it. Apparently, large companies can do a "Chinese Menu" of health care they provide to their employees. To get better prices, they pick and choose what procedures they can keep and strike from plans to get better rates. Of course "Weight Loss Surgery" was off the list as of 2014.

We had no idea until we got all the way to the surgery date then it was blocked. Oddly enough, they covered all the pre-surgery costs (Endoscopy). To make a long story short, switched providers in October to my employer, approved 100%. The crazy thing? Both companies used the same carrier -- Yep. Same damn carrier.

The good news? Surgery was done on 11/21.

No issues at all with the surgery. I stayed two nights, and was home the day before Thanksgiving.

sleeping was a bit of a chore (I'm a stomach sleeper) so I had to sleep for about 10 days on a recliner but was back to normal and work about 10 days after surgery.

Edited by BostonGary