Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What You Wish Someone Told You Before Surgery

I'm only 17 days post op, but one thing I've realized is that everyone's experience is completely unique. Use all available info to prepare yourself, but there will be something about your recovery that you're completely unprepared for. When that happens, don't freak out, call your doctor and do your research. Good luck,

I wish someone told me about the saliva over production!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have the opposite, my mouth is dry as the desert 24/7 no matter how much I drink.

The change in my taste buds has been the biggest issue for me. I am 7 weeks out tomorrow. I had no pain after surgery (morphine is amazing) and zero pain from my incisions ever. I have never vomited. My stomach gurgles and can be loud after I eat but I have no foaming or saliva issues.

BUT, I really thought I could just force myself to eat/drink whatever I needed to get it. I just can't stand to force down Protein shakes (I have tried dozens) or those chewable Vitamins I bought from my surgeon. The old me would just force it all down, I have never been a picky eater, but I feel nauseated when I try to make myself eat or drink something I just can't stand post-surgery.

The main challenge for me has been starting to eat again. Lots of things I used to love taste terrible now. That may change over time but for now it is so hard. I feel hungry but 3 or 4 bites of something fill me up. I struggle to get enough Protein and calories in. I see people eating things (and amounts) at 3 or 4 weeks that I STILL can't eat now.

The number one thing I wish I had known before surgery is that I would wake up with horrible pain in my chest and shoulders due to the air they use during surgery. It felt like I was having a heart attack. Walking and more walking helped ged rid of some of it, but it took a few days.

That I will be cold 24/7/365

Im from MN here its cold 6 mo out 12mo I suffer sooo bad

I am cold even when its 80F outside ...

BariatricMatters

Try taking an Iron suppliment if you don't already

Sent from my VS987 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you, I think my Iron level was alittle down how many mg should I take?

BariatricMatters

I wish someone told me about the saliva over production!!!

hi, happens to me when I am super full after I ate too fast

BariatricMatters

I would only take iron supplements at the direction of your doctor. It can cause nausea, heartburn, diarrhea, and Constipation. Or it can build up in your system and result in fatigue, weakness, all the way up to organ damage if you take more than you need.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Pmease check with the Dr on tje Iron. Taking Iron by itself can kead to nauseous ness and you will want to take that a few hours after or before your Calcium as both fight for absorption. All of this takes time to develop a routine but it is so worth it!!! I am nearing 2 years post op and still learning. 2 years ago, I was 405 lbs....weighed myself yesterday and was 230.8!! post-238057-14820890526177_thumb.jpg

Hello! My surgery is scheduled for 1/9/17 and I'm looking for advice and guidance! What are some of the things you wish people told you before you were sleeved?

After mine I ended up having a 42 day "period" and it was basically because I was losing weight so fast. And I unfortunately did some selfsabotage I didn't see it then but I now see it and am tryn to get back in track and it's very hard... so never give up an stick to ur basics small portions and Protein first... no snacking either.... good luck you will do amazing

Sent from my SM-S920L using the BariatricPal App

Make sure you try many different Protein Shakes, your favorite now may not be after.

Don't forget to walk right after surgery and at home even if it's to the end of your driveway and back and then to the end of the block.

Take care [emoji6]

Hello! My surgery is scheduled for 1/9/17 and I'm looking for advice and guidance! What are some of the things you wish people told you before you were sleeved?

I wish people had told me less to be quite honest with you. But I do wish they had talked more about how to handle family and friend's reactions --especially the negative. People have asked me how I'm losing or why I'm not eating at all or much at all and I haven't been honest. I feel like a fraud.

I was expecting nausea, vomiting, smell and taste changes, constant coldness, no hunger, etc. I have only vomited once and it was early on. Everything smells and tastes the same except peppery things. I am very sensitive to hot food at least for right now. Even lemon pepper bothers me and I used to LOVE hot food. I'm average cold; I'm never really freezing or super hot. The scale has moved but my clothes size really hasn't. Water can make you nauseous. Yes. Water. I get hungry but it's a different kind of hunger which will not make a bit of sense until after surgery. I tried to understand it before surgery but you just can't understand it accurately when you've got an abundance of ghrelin I don't think. Some days I'm realllllly hungry and some days I feel no hunger at all. They tend to rotate. You may not feel like a new person immediately. I get tired. I get little aches and pains. I get little asthma flare-ups. I get grumpy.

Keep your mind open and remember every day is different. Take it all in stride and remember that you are unique. No two people will have the same experience.

Edited by StephanieS0208

I'm almost 1.5 years out.

I wish I knew most of the things I was worried about were temporary. I can drink Water fast now, I can eat "normal" when around other people if I so choose to. I basically have a normal life except I eat healthy and I am not a slave to my appetite.

You can take normal Vitamins, no reason to take nasty chewables. I really hated them to the point I didn't wan to take Vitamins. I wish I had went back to my normal vitamins sooner.

Losing weight, a lot of weight is a different set of problems from being morbidly obese. Being thin or thinner isn't a magic solution to life.

The hormonal issues for me have been pure torture. I won't go into them but they are the biggest long term side effect and no one tells you about them or properly prepares you for them (talking about medical professionals) and even worse, there is no help, you just have to let it work itself out. Pure hell.

Following this topic as my surg date is 1/10/17 ;)

@@Tootsietoes this is something I do worry about.. do you mean you have acid reflux?? I have never had heartburn so I do not even know how it feels. What do you do to make it feel better or does it go away?? Please let me know anything you can about preventing it. thanks

My only regret is not having the single incision operation, which would have cost only $1000 more through my surgeon and left me without visible scars. The coordinator I worked with when booking my surgery (I had it in Mexico because I didn't meet insurance qualifications for having it locally) had encouraged me to opt for the less expensive procedure, with the rationale that I'd probably have loose skin I'd eventually want to have surgically removed, so the scars would't be as relevant. She'd lost over 200 pounds after having the VSG and said the surgery to remove the excess skin removed the scars. I had far less to lose, and doing so at a slower pace resulted in having no loose skin, and therefore no need for a second surgery. The scars aren't horrific, but for they are visible. This summer was the first time since my early teens that I felt truly confident to wear a bikini at the beach, but the scars held me back. Still, I felt fortunate to have that problem, since for years I didn't want to go to the beach at all out of self-consciousness, despite living near it.

I also wish I'd been less worried about all that could go wrong and instead more focused on all that could go right. I do think it's very important to make yourself aware of complications, and all the other potential problems or setbacks you might face, prior to having surgery, so that you're prepared. I've had no complications, no loose skin, minimal hair loss, and was able to lose weight as hoped. The coordinator was sincerely trying to be helpful in making me aware of what many other people have experienced. She'd asked me if I wanted to have my gallbladder removed during the surgery, free of cost, and said that if I didn't I'd likely need to have it removed within the year. My doctor disagreed, and I didn't have my gallbladder removed, and have had zero problems with it.

I wish someone had told me about the dry mouth/thirst. Ugh! Still having issues with that at almost 4 months out.

The big thing I wish I had known was that maintaining a social life was only going to be as difficult as I make it. Finally I am really in control of my own body. I can still go out and socialize in restaurants and bars (I live in Las Vegas, so this is what people primarily do and I have an inordinate amount of visitors) and not have to partake in bad food or drinks. I can go, choose something appropriate for me, and enjoy the company. In fact, I was out with visiting friends for dinner within 2 weeks of surgery and had no issue enjoying my Water and their company.