Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removed

Well, I'm bandless. I went in last Tuesday to have it removed due to the erosion, Doc. said I should go home the next day if no problems. Well I didn't get to come home for 8 days. I ended up getting an infection, which the infectuous disease doc, doesn't know if it was there prior to surgery or not. I had so much inflamation in there, they put in a drainage tube, and I had to wear it home, I go back next tue. to hopefully have it removed. My hemoglobin level dropped so low,that they were on the verge of giving me blood, which totally grosses me out. My white blood count was super high, but once they started me on the iv antibiotics it started to go down, and my fever started going down. They finally agreed to let me go home if I could eat something, take oral antibiotics and keep them down. I'm glad to be home, but not looking forward to life after band. The doc. said that by the looks of the erosion, it had probably stopped working for me six months after getting it. I only had it a year. Like my aunt said today, that was a lot of money to spend to lose 54 pounds. Oh well, we live and learn. So to those of you who still have your bands, best of luck to you, to those who are getting a band good luck to you. Keep in mind that not all bandsters end up this way, I am just one of the unlucky ones. Take care all, chrissy

Chrissy,

I am so sorry to hear you lost your band. Do the Doctors know what caused the erosion? What were your symptoms if you do not mind me asking.

I am sorry to hear about what you went through. Were their any signs? Did anything cause the erosion? Are their more details?

Sorry, I'm nosy!

Kim

Chrissy, sending you (((hugs))) and prayers for a complete recovery. I'm sorry you lost your band. But I'm thankful you found out about your problems and got the band taken out before something worse could have happened. Please take care of yourself and give yourself time to recoup.

This is from the book I got:

Erosion is considered a major complication. Erosion is when the stomach is perforated by the band. This is not an instantaneous event. This is more a slow process that takes place over time. Eroision is kind of like a worn sock. Once the heel is worn, the rest of the sock more or less stays the same. The mechanism of erosions is unknown. The only explanation is already given: The Lap-band is foreign body and such is subject to the body's own reeactions. An eroded band is a band that is beigh partially eliminated by the body.

We know the following:

Erosions are very rare and tend to be fewer as experience grows.

Erosions tend to have a benign evolution.

Erosions are usually not an immediate surgical emergency, though they should be treated as soon as detected.

Eroisions may appear initially as an infection at the adjustment port area.

Erosions may be totally without symptioms.

Erosions do not seem to be associated with anit-inflammatory medications, as once thought.

Erosions can be treated by surgical removal, repair, and replacement.

Each patient is different and responds differently to the same problem.

Since erosions do not have a precise mechanism of cause, follow the guidelines as much as possible; always consult your doctor if in doubt; and cherish your band every day of your life.

Chrissy, my heart hurts for you. I am genuinely sorry. I worry that I may be in your shoes since my port incision has been infected and problematic since Day 1. I've been portless since June, and still have an open incision. I have an endoscopy scheduled for January 6, so I may wake up unbanded myself. This is your post, so let's not anybody worry about me here. This post is for Chrissy.

Betty, thank you for sharing that! I'm glad to see a well-established band surgeon talk so extensively on this. Anyone of us can have problems.

*Sighs*

Chrissy..As everyone else here..I'm so sorry to hear what you have gone through.Waht an ordeal for you emotionally and physically. I too am sending you ((hugs)).Please Take Care of yourself and know that we all are thinking of you and wishing you the best!

Yes Betty thanks for sharing this info with us, it was very informative especially the part about the anti inflammatory medicines..I ve been afraid to take advil for my headaches or aches and pains, now maybe I will ..was it from Ortiz's book?

Chrissy, it sounds like you were very sick for a while there so I'm grateful that at least you are doing better. I am sorry you are having to go through this, though. But 54 pounds is a lot of weight. I am sure that by having the band you learned more than you knew before about what a reasonable portion is and I hope that you can continue to use this information. Let us know how you are doing.

Nancy

Yes Michelle, it was from his book. I hope he doesn't mind me posting that, but everyone has always had questions about erosion so I thought it might help some of us.

Oh, Chrissy, what an ordeal! Infections are nasty, nasty, nasty and so much worse when the body is already trying to heal. I'm so glad you're doing better and hope you will progress to a quick and uneventful full recovery. Please do let us know how you're doing!

Hi Chrissy,

I'm sure sorry about the loss of your band. You are dealing with something that is a fear for all of us. You didn't go back to Lopez for the removal did you? I'm thinking about you, Teresa