Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random Questions...

Vomiting happens I know. But what was different is that before at the first sign I'd throw up once, wait an hour do it again and maybe an hour later once more. (I'm talking stomach flu here.) Since being banded at hour one I'd feel ill but not produce anything at hour 2 the same thing; no vomit, I'd feel worse. At hour three I violently spilled the entire contents of my stomach.

Sex happened when it felt better than it hurt. About the end of week 2.

My daughter was 5 and I told her leading up the surgery that I wasn't going to be able to carry her. I gave her extra pick ups and we had a ceremonious one last carry. She got it later when I said, "remember I can't carry you now?"

The last super thing held no appeal for me because I knew and now KNOW that there isn't a thing out there I can't put in my mouth now. So I just tried to get the nutrition I needed.

As for your insurance and self pay questions, I'm clueless. And I'd not stick my stuff on my insurance's website. If you need to track you info, create a word document or something and do it that way. Just one girl's opinion.

As for vomiting, I got the flu 3 months post-op, and was heaving like crazy. It was miserable like throwing up always was, and I was terrified my band was going to slip.. but it didn't. It did seem like it had a hart time getting through the band, so it was painful.

Sex.. 1 week post-op when I wasn't hurting anymore.

As for health after post-op, being self pay..

I had to go to the hospital a week after surgery, afraid I had blood clots. My insurance paid.

I've had to go to the hospital with my surgeon a few times for fluero, testing, etc.. insurance will NOT pay.

They seem to deny any claims that state something to do with the lap-band (one said injection of saline, fluero, etc.).

One time it was just an x-ray for the band, and they denied that as well.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Okay... I'm 5 days from surgery and as the time stamp will attest (5:00am) I'm getting a little nervous.

Couple more "random questions" for the brilliant members of the board...

(And thanks everyone for their answers to my first set...)

I'm thinking about my diet the next couple of days. I have lost about 12 pounds in the last month so I think that has helped my liver. And I want to "do good" this week but don't really want to starve myself. I'm thinking lots of Water and salads, eh? I'll try to keep away from the fast foods which is a challenge in and of itself for me, but I've got to start tearing away at some point.

As far as today's grocery shopping trip goes. I'm having surgery on Friday. Here's my list so far...

• Sugar-free popsicles
  • Crystal light in those little packet things, right?
  • Sugar-free kool-aid

And that's it? I guess the first week that's your life, eh?

Okay, one more...

Since I am self-pay - how do insurance companies handle health-issues that "may" have resulted from lap-band surgery. I'm guessing just from some of the other problems folks have had things like dehydration if the band is too loose so you might have to go to the ER for an IV. Or if you get acid-reflux that needs your PCP to look at. Or if you're so hot after you get all skinny, that women literally throw themselves at you and you suffer a broken leg.

Will an insurance company suddenly look more heavily at stuff like that and possibly not pay for coverages - I'm not sure how that happens with a "cosmetic" surgery such as my insurance company looks at this as. (The only thing cosmetic is that I'm having the "GOODYEAR" taken off of my side and I won't be flying over the Super Bowl any more...)

Just curious. My guess is that if you were to have a nose-job and then needed help with something sort-of unrelated to that it would be fine. But where do they draw the line?

Oh, one more thing... I've recently changed insurance companies to United Health Care. And they have a really nice website where you can post your medical history. This is great because I don't EVER keep track of that stuff, so if I have the flu or whatever, you go online and put in your doctor's visits, etc. I'm debating whether to put the lap band surgery in there. Wouldn't that allow them to mess with me later on? I don't want to be dishonest, but I don't want to give "them" a reason to crap on an elective procedure down the road.

(Okay... I need to sleep now...)

Thanks everyone! I'm getting really nervous, so keep me in yoru thoughts!!! :paranoid :tired

nkcaump - I can't answer the health insurance questions - I would go ask wasabubblebutt she was self pay mexico - she might know - pm her with your questions.. She is a WEALTH of info...

My personal opionion would not to post your med history anywhere - can be used against you - but this is my personal opinion - if it's on the net anyone can get the info - keep a calendar at home if you want to keep track of info.

As to your shopping list - this I can answer - but first what are your doctors instructions - haven't they given you a list (mine did)

I was on full liquids for the first 10 days - included thin creamed Soups. I didn't see Protein Powder on your list - you need 6o grms minimum daily. I did smoothies in the morning - added it to my soups in the afternoon and dinner. I was allowed sf puddings & dannon light & fit yogurts too. broth, sf hot choc, cream soups, my doc also has (sells) clear liquid Protein Drinks that are great proti15 - grape taste just like grape koolaide - peachmango - yummy and they have 15 grms Protein.< /p>

gotta get back to work - phone rang - so will ck w/you later

good luck - prayer for a safe & speedy recovery