Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Theresa Marie is home!!!!

Hello Adorable Friends, I am home and so GLAD to be home. The surgery went fine, recovery room was a little scarey, I had never been anesthesized before and I was very uncomfortable coming out of that. There was a nurse right there every time I opened my eyes assuring me what I was feeling was normal. My Mom came and spent the day and evening helping me get around; wow, what a blessing she is. My throat was very sore from the tube, that actually hurt worse than my tummy. Today now my throat is better and the port section of tummy is very sore, but none of the gas pains that some of you dear ones suffered with. Hopefully, I will be spared.

To be home in my own quiet comfy house, great bed -- wonderful. To have my husband taking care of me from head to toe -- priceless.

I want to thank each of you for your support, friendship and prayers. I learned so much from you and will always be thankful to each of you. All I want for Christmas is for us all to continue healing and growing in our journey of becoming a butterfly. I told one the nurses Ryan's analagy that I am in my chrisalis stage now, but soon I will be emerging and learning to fly as a beautiful healthy butterfly. She thought that was great and was going to share that with others who are going through this surgery. Ryan, you are famous. I will be your agent and arrange your book signing tours. Thanks so much, Theresa Marie -- the newly banded butterfly-to-be.

That coming out from under is a strange feeling, isn't it? To me it's like swimming to the top of a pool of thick gravy. You can get your eyes open, and you can observe, but each time you sink back down for a bit. I found it a bit unsettling. But it was worth it!

And you'll think it's worth it, too. Now remember, little butterfly, when you emerge you will experience a healing time, while your wings dry, and your soft shell hardens in the sun. Don't expect to fly just yet, but rest, spread your wings and relax. When the band is healed in, then you will get a fill, then the next journey starts.

Once emerged, the young butterfly crawls out into the sun, her gossamer wings glistening and wet, her young body soft and supple. Soon the breeze comes by and begins to dry her, and the sun hardens her exoskeleton, she stretches, arches her strengthening back, and in one steady glorious motion, the wings spread. They catch the sun, then the wind, and she drops from her perch and falls for a bit, then catches a puff of breeze, and flutters her new wings, and through the dappled halls of the forest she rises, to soar into the summer sky.

Theresa Marie, Welcome home, Bandsister! Please give yourself plenty of time to rest and recoup. So glad that all went well and you have a loving family there to take care of you. Please try to walk around as much as you can and hopefully you'll avoid those surgical gas pains. Keep sipping that Water. It's very important not to get dehydrated. Congratulations on becoming a Bandster! 2005 is going to be a great year!

Sooooo glad to hear that you are home safe and sound Theresa Marie! Isn't it wonderful to have a great hubby! I can't imagine having gone through the surgery without my DH. Sip... Sip... Sip... no straws please.... and walk as much as you are able! Your port site will probably be quite sore but I promise that it will get better with each passing day. :) Welcome Home!

Darcy

So glad to hear all is well, Teresa! :) It'll be no time at all before you're telling us how much weight you've lost! Welcome to the fold!

Sip... Sip... Sip... no straws please....

Darcy

When I had my nutritional class for the surgery, the nutritionist was very adamant about no straws. So today I had a fill, and they had me sip some Water to make sure it was flowing through my banded tummy. Yep, you guessed it, the Doc gave me a cup with a straw.

Hmmmmm.

I have used a straw since my first day home from surgery. I'm not sure I understand why some say no. I think it has to do with swallowing air, but I gotta tell ya. I can 'sip' a whole lot better with a straw than I can sip straight from the glass.

Also.. when moving to full liquids, it is said 'anything you can sip through a straw' is legal for that phase, so that pretty much tells me I could use a straw. Funny how each doctor makes up their own rules.

I've noticed that I always swallow a little air with a glass, and not with a straw. Maybe it's just one of those things that work on paper, but not in real life. You know, like it's been proven that bumblebees and junebugs can't possibly fly.

When I worked on the surgical floor we never let post-op patients use a straw... I don't know if it is a proven fact that one swallows more air with a straw but I took the advice at face value. :( I still don't drink with a straw simply because I don't want to risk belching or farting more than I already do now that I'm banded...lol. My brother's would be so proud of my new gas passage abilities... too bad they don't live close by... I'd gladly lay a roaring belch on them. :confused:

Darcy

Congratulations TM, I wish you the best on your new journey.

When I left the hospital my doc said I could have any liquids I could get through a straw, (it's amazing what you can actually get through a straw), and the nurse came in and said, "remember, sip, don't use a straw". Only time I use a straw is in public restaurants, I'm funny about putting my lips on those glasses, ewwww.

Oh yea, the am after surgery and I had my swallow test, yep, big old straw was used.

Theresa Marie,

What a Great Christmas Present. Welcome home and get alot a rest

You are a Beautiful Butterfly Already