Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction. Time to Freak Out!

NO RESTRICTION ~ TIME TO FREAK OUT!

17 DAYS POST OP

22 POUNDS LOST

REGAINING ENERGY

LESS PORT PAIN

SOUNDS GREAT?

WELL.........................................

I have no restriction. Today I ordered a cup of French Onion Soup and was able to tolerate the cheese and the bread. No problem.

For dinner I ate 1 cup of Hormel 99% FF chili. That cup didn't fill me up. I felt NO RESTRICTION WHATSOEVER! I'm freaking out.

My weight loss is very good, but I am scared I will fall back into old habits with this new found fact... I HAVE NO RESTRICTION.

My doctor said he waits 6 weeks to do a fill, but I need to go in now. Before I start eating more than I should. Anybody else experience this?:help:

The period between your surgery and your first fill isn't about losing weight. This is when you are supposed to allow your stomach to heal. It's not that much longer until your fill. Just try to watch what you eat.

want2beme-

First, relax...relax...relax! I was banded 6 and a half weeks ago and I had my first fill Monday. From week 4-6 post-op, I would say I could eat everything and anything. As far as portions, I ate less than I did before surgery but eating a cup of food was hardly enough to satisfy my hunger. It's normal to regain your hunger a few weeks after surgery because now you're stomach isn't all swollen. But, it's too early to get a fill. The time in between your surgery and your first fill you just have to be strong and watch what you eat. I'm assuming you're in your soft solids stage, so, ty your best to stick with soft healthy foods. (I know, it's easier said than done!)

I will be honest, I had my fill Monday. As of today, I don't really feel a huge restriction. I'm eating less, getting full faster but I kind of expected to have a much much tighter restriction. From past threads, it looks like most doctors restrict you slowly. So, from my experience, it's normal to feel frustrated and afraid of hunger but this whole thing is a process and it takes a lot of inner strength.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks a lot. I was kinda freakin' out there for a moment. I live in a house where junk food is a staple. Tonight my family ate enchiladas for an appetizer and Rib Eye steak for dinner. Yeah, it's hell. I stuck with my chili and crystal light.

I think I am ready to move on from mushies to solids just because everything goes down easy. I was even going to try to eat a salad. What do you think? I have been craving tomatoes with mozz and basil, O&V. Could I do that? If I peel the skins from the tomatoes? We just have so many tomatoes from the garden, we have to give them away right now. This is the first season I haven't lived on tomatoes. They are the best.

any other tips for filling up?

Thanks a lot. I was kinda freakin' out there for a moment. I live in a house where junk food is a staple. Tonight my family ate enchiladas for an appetizer and Rib Eye steak for dinner. Yeah, it's hell. I stuck with my chili and crystal light.

I think I am ready to move on from mushies to solids just because everything goes down easy. I was even going to try to eat a salad. What do you think? I have been craving tomatoes with mozz and basil, O&V. Could I do that? If I peel the skins from the tomatoes? We just have so many tomatoes from the garden, we have to give them away right now. This is the first season I haven't lived on tomatoes. They are the best.

any other tips for filling up?

Enchiladas AND Steak? Mmmmm!!! :hungry:

Salad...I steered clear of salad because it's sometimes hard to chew it enough down to puree/paste (gross thought). At 2 weeks post op I ate soft cooked veggies like steamed zuchinni or squash. And for tomatoes, I thought I heard to avoid them early on while healing because they are acidic or something. I could be wrong. Some foods that I ate that were on the ok list from my doctor were:

-soft eggs

-tuna

-fish

-cottage cheese

-canned fruit

-soft cooked veggies (avoid stringy veggies though)

-chicken

-cheese

-yogurt

Those are what my doctor recommended at 2 weeks post op. I'd check to see what your doctor recommends though. He should have given you some sort of info on what you can and can't eat during your stages of recovery.

Anybody else experience this?:help:

Every person who has a Lap-Band.

This may help you in understanding the restrictive mechanism of a Lap-Band. The INAMED protocol for Lap-Band fills calls for a six-week delay after surgery, prior to any fills. The purpose for the six-week delay is for the patient’s stomach to heal from the surgery, as well as allowing time for the Lap-Band to “Seat” or “Nestle” into the fat pad between the stomach wall and the interior wall of the Lap-Band. Prior to receiving an EFFECTIVE fill, it is VERY uncommon to have any restriction from a Lap-Band. Some patients will NOT lose weight, or may even GAIN weight until they have received an effective fill in their Lap-Band. Normal weight loss with a properly restricted Lap-Band is between 1 and 2 pounds per week.

The normal cycle of fills, restriction and weight loss is as follows:

1. The patient's Lap-Band constricts when the patient receives a fill. Swelling for a few days after receiving a fill is very common. Many doctors require a patient to go on a liquid diet for a day or two after receiving a fill. A fill may have a “Delayed Action” of up to two weeks. A “Delayed-Action” means that the fill may not become effective for up to two weeks after the fill. That is why the INAMED protocol states that fills should not be performed on patients who will not have access to medical care for at least two weeks after a fill.

2. The patient's stomach capacity is lessened as a result of the restriction caused by the Lap-Band.

3. The patient loses weight because they cannot eat as much food.

4. The residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the outside of the patient's stomach reduces in size because of the overall weight loss in the patient.

5. The reduction of the residual fat-pad causes the Lap-Band to become loose again.

6. At that point, the patient needs another fill, because the Lap-Band is loose, and the patient has a loss of restriction, which allows the patient to eat larger amounts of food.< /span>

7. The patient receives another fill and the process starts all over again.

Most Lap-Band patients receive several fills to adjust the Lap-Band as their weight loss progresses, and there is less and less residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap-Band and the exterior of the stomach wall. Once a patient has lost all of their residual fat-pad, fills become less common. As the Lap-Band patient progresses in their weight loss, the effect of very tiny fills (Less than .2ccs) becomes greater and greater. It is not uncommon for a late-stage Lap-Band patient to experience a significant difference in restriction with as little as .05cc of fill.

my surgery was in april, i just had my second fill. i've only lost 10 lbs and have felt no restriction at all yet. i did pb once, 'cause i ate too fast. it just will take time, you will be ok! you didn't gain it quickly, so it will take time. keep a good spirit.

I was banded 6/26/07 I have lost 26lbs from date of surgery

I did eat tomatoes, but I peeled the skin I stay full longer and faster if I eat the protien first then whatever veggies, but at night I really ant to snack usually popciles but occasionally I will have a tablespoon of Peanut Butter on the spoon with a glass of skim milk.

what is pb?

Kat ~ I have no idea what PB means, but I see people use thost Int all the time.... I want to guess: Public Barf, Puke Butter.... I don't know....

Wendell ~ I am confused about something you said, and I've heard it before I just don't understand it. Why do smaller fills become so effective later in weight loss? I don't understand. I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but here's what's going on in my head: You lose weight, you lose fat, you lose fat on your stomach... I would think that the band would almost get loose, and then become harder to fill and effect the size of the stoma. I'm totally confused.

Everybody ~ Thank you so much for all of your comments. It helps a lot.

ONE MORE QUESTIONS FOR YOU GUYS: Say I go for my 6 week fill down in Mexico. They will do it under flouro w/

opps.... anyway,,,,

They will have me do a barium swallow and all that jazz so they can see the flow on the screen. How much do you think they'll fill on the 1st shot? I want to avoid flying to Mexico every month for fills, so do you think they'll tighten me up pretty good or what?

I HAVE NO RESTRICTION. This is what I ate today:

1 cup chili w/ cheese (breakfast)

1 cup split pea Soup (lunch)

1 cup split pea soup (dinner)

2 eggs w/ cheese (dinner)

Not to mention all the liquids I had like coffee, Water, iced tea, etc.

Wendell ~ I am confused about something you said, and I've heard it before I just don't understand it. Why do smaller fills become so effective later in weight loss? I don't understand. I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but here's what's going on in my head: You lose weight, you lose fat, you lose fat on your stomach... I would think that the band would almost get loose, and then become harder to fill and effect the size of the stoma. I'm totally confused.

Brecause the band is pressing on muscle tissue after the residual fat-pad melts.

pb stands for productive burp. sometimes you burp and food comes with it. Sometimes people just throw up from food being stuck. it's basically vomiting

no matter what they call it!

i had my surgery on aug. 22 and i have absolutely no ristriction except for bread. i am starting to think my band has slipped.

17 DAYS POST OP

22 POUNDS LOST

REGAINING ENERGY

LESS PORT PAIN

SOUNDS GREAT?

WELL.........................................

I have no restriction. Today I ordered a cup of French Onion Soup and was able to tolerate the cheese and the bread. No problem.

For dinner I ate 1 cup of Hormel 99% FF chili. That cup didn't fill me up. I felt NO RESTRICTION WHATSOEVER! I'm freaking out.

My weight loss is very good, but I am scared I will fall back into old habits with this new found fact... I HAVE NO RESTRICTION.

My doctor said he waits 6 weeks to do a fill, but I need to go in now. Before I start eating more than I should. Anybody else experience this?:help: