Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurence issue

Now that i am considering Lap band surgery I have come across a major obsticle!!!!!!! Private health insurence! Up until today i thought I was covered with Medibank Private however when I called them today they said that a direct debit attempted to come out in January and was declined and therefore my health cover had been cancelled. It is my own stupid fault that I didn't check my account I just assumed it was being paid. They also had my address incorrect (#8 rather than #11) They have sent my concern to the arrears department and it is possible that I will be able to pay the back pay and then I will be fine although I am concerned that they wont approve this as it is the 2nd time this has happened! So my dilemma is now that my surgery may have to be put on the back burner as I know with any health insurence there are waiting periods. Does anyone know if it generally 12 months everywhere or there are some insurence companies that may have less of a time frame. I would wait 6 months however 12 months seems like a long time for me. Any advice or companies that anyone may recommend? Also does anyone know the procedure code for lap band surgery for when I make enquiries?

Thanx

Hi,

I've had private health insurance (mid level hospital + extras) for over a year and thought I'd be covered too. Turns out not so much. The most they kicked in for was $300 for the shared room for the night and $89 for the Anesthetist. The bulk of the $7500 hospital bill (mainly theater fees) was not covered. The medicare item number is 30511 by the way.

I've posted the following before, but it might be useful to you. I had the funds released from my Superannuation to cover the whole lot, hospital costs, surgeon gap fee, everything.

If you're interested have alook here - Early Release of Superannuation Benefits . The actual section is "specified grounds for release" and not financial hardship. Basically, you need to fill in the form and return it with:

• a letter from your GP
  • a letter from your surgeon
  • a quote for the costs.

APRA take 7 working days from when you submit your paper work (they don't need originals, faxing is fine) to decide if they'll let you release the money early. I've heard though that providing you include the two required doctor's letters they don't often refuse the request (since it's accompanies by medical advice). Also, once you get their decision back in the mail you need to send it to your superannuation company. Again, with APRA's okay, they don't need to do anything except release the funds (mine was a funds transfer and took about a week).

Good luck :D

hi, I joined up with medibank private last week they said i would have to wait 12 months for the surgery but that it is covered after the waiting period - i also got their high extras to cover for dietitian visits etc. kind regards m

hi, I joined up with medibank private last week they said i would have to wait 12 months for the surgery but that it is covered after the waiting period - i also got their high extras to cover for dietitian visits etc. kind regards m

Hi Striver,

I'm with Medibank Pvt. I have top hospital cover with a $250.00 excess - means my premiums are a little cheaper and only have to pay $250 per calendar year if I go into hosp. So my hospital is all paid for, my surgeon fees will not be fully covered and so altogether will cost me about $3,000 to $4,000. I'm thinking of applying to APRA to release some of my superannuation to pay for this amount.

The costs include all the pre-operative visits including the dietician. And after the op, the Dr bulk bills for fills etc.

Danna

im medibank private too....i didnt pay anything for the hosp...and just got the account from the surgeon so will send it into medicare for the tiny bit they will kick in....still waiting on account from anaethisist....but she said about $300 out of pocket.....and also got an account for the barium swallow so better put that into medicare too...

getting a release of super is a great idea if you can

my surgeon is happy for you to pay it off at a minimal amount each week if needed.

I do hope you can do a back payment to the health fund

Leeanne

Hey M,

How did your information night go? Still want to be banded?

Danna

Dear Danna,;)

I was convinced b4 but after the info night my friend and i are ready to sign on the dotted line - 11 months to go and counting downnnnn

We were very pleased with the info night and for us the team sensation really worked for us.

I want to feel when i get my lapband I have entire team behind me.....

how are u doing?

kind regards M:whoo: