Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgical Weightloss Centre Mississauga

Hi All,

I am ready to get the band and have made a step in the process by visiting my family doctor and getting his blessing. I was going to see Dr. Lance Tin at Credit Valley but he has not responded to the referral. Also the more I read here, the more I see a lot of you have been to Dr. Mumford in Mississauga.

For those who have been to Mumford or his colleauges can you please list a detailed step by step of what you had to do from consult to surgery date? Include any forms you had to fill or have filled out, any tests you had to have, any diet you had to go on and how long between each passed? I am just curious on what the steps are and what I can expect. I just hate surprised and would like to know exactly what I am gettting into.

Thanks so much in advance!

call the clinic and talk to them - it is a very simple process - consult, decision to surgery, pay fee, pre-op checklist completed by family doc, bloodwork and ECG if age > 50, consent forms, order Optifast, surgery. First step would be to order an information package to review and compose your questions.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy. I am most wondering about the "pre-op checklist completed by family doc". What kind of things on that list? I just went to see him and had blood done and blood pressure. Did you need more extensive done from your family doc?

Thanks for the info!

Hi All,

I am ready to get the band and have made a step in the process by visiting my family doctor and getting his blessing. I was going to see Dr. Lance Tin at Credit Valley but he has not responded to the referral. Also the more I read here, the more I see a lot of you have been to Dr. Mumford in Mississauga.

For those who have been to Mumford or his colleauges can you please list a detailed step by step of what you had to do from consult to surgery date? Include any forms you had to fill or have filled out, any tests you had to have, any diet you had to go on and how long between each passed? I am just curious on what the steps are and what I can expect. I just hate surprised and would like to know exactly what I am gettting into.

Thanks so much in advance!

In my opinion, get TWO consults... one from SWLC Dr. Mumford/Coburn and also go and see Dr. Yau at Toronto Lap Band Clinic... nothing like comparison shopping to see who YOU feel is the best fit.

I was banded at TBLC Jul 11th everything surgically went very well. I've had 2 fills now and am losing weight well..

Good luck in whatever you decide. If you'd like to Private Message me I can provide answers to any ques. you may like to ask.

This is very good advice - two consults - make sure to ask about follow-ups. When I had my consult, I did not know about alternatives - I liked what I heard from Dr. Cobourn and have not regreted it. But I have a background that really helps in determining appropriate health care (for me).

I have a master's degree in health studies - and part of the studies involved research, alternative health care delivery, and organizational behaviour - that along with 27 years in the health care field lets me make decisions armed with lots of confidence.

This also means I know the value of encouraging everyone to make those decisions for themselves - no one but you can (or should) determine what is best for them - my "rule" for all my nurses, and I remind them of it on a regular basis, is that their job is to find out what their patients want and then devote their energies to supporting that decision - not always easy for them to do - but we work on it. Good luck with your decision.

Cindy

Hi Jaclyn

One of the things that you may also want to consider is proximity of clinic to your home, for ease of fill appointments. After doing my research on both clinics mentioned by Peaches, I found both to be competent, and would have felt comfortable at either. SWLC is about 12 kilometres from home for me, along the QEW. I had a fill this morning at 9:00 and was at work by 9:30. I wish you the best of luck on your research and your journey to health with the band

Hi Jacklyn, I am Bob. Banded Aug 7 by Doctor C at S.W.L.C. There is a physical you need to have your family Doctor due and then sent to the clinic and blood work sent also. There is a release form that you must read and the person taking care of you must sign and return.

Good luck to you, I had a wonderful experence with this place and I love my band,

Bob

Hi Jaclyn

One of the things that you may also want to consider is proximity of clinic to your home, for ease of fill appointments. After doing my research on both clinics mentioned by Peaches, I found both to be competent, and would have felt comfortable at either. SWLC is about 12 kilometres from home for me, along the QEW. I had a fill this morning at 9:00 and was at work by 9:30. I wish you the best of luck on your research and your journey to health with the band

Wow!! It's great to find some Canadian info.!! i was actually booked at the SWLC for July 24, but havd had to postpone it due to a family emergency. has it taken you time to get back to work? How was your experience with Dr. C.? :

http://www.LapBandTalk.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Wow!! It's great to find some Canadian info.!! i was actually booked at the SWLC for July 24, but havd had to postpone it due to a family emergency. has it taken you time to get back to work? How was your experience with Dr. C.? :

For me Bob ( I was not sure if you were asking me ) I like Dr. C. he spent time answering all my questions and was extremly professional. I like the staff they were great. I was totally calm during the whole procedure due to them. The follow up is great, that is important as this is a long term relationship. I would do it again there in a heart beat.

,Bob

There are lots of posts on the boards talking about Dr. Cobourn and the clinic - just type Dr. Cobourn into the search engine and they should come up. The following is one:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f76/post-operative-care-dr-coburn-40175/?highlight=Dr.+Cobourn

Cindy

In my opinion, get TWO consults... one from SWLC Dr. Mumford/Coburn and also go and see Dr. Yau at Toronto Lap Band Clinic... nothing like comparison shopping to see who YOU feel is the best fit.

I was banded at TBLC Jul 11th everything surgically went very well. I've had 2 fills now and am losing weight well..

Good luck in whatever you decide. If you'd like to Private Message me I can provide answers to any ques. you may like to ask.

I think consult and make comparisons is a great idea. Im doing that at the moment and Ill have my first consultation (for free) at Toronto Lap Band Clinic. It feels soooo nice and I feel am on the good track when I read these messages from you guys. yeaahhhhh:clap2: