Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Surgery Questions

Guest barbarab

Guest barbarab

I am scheduled for a lapband surgery this coming Tuesday, December 21. I have some questions which I haven't seen answered well on this site.

1) Do you have any tips that might make the surgery easier? Would you have done anything differently before the surgery, in hindsight, to make it easier after the surgery?

2) I am told that after the surgery, I am only supposed to 'sip' liquids and not to 'gulp' liquids. I have been trying to do this prior to the surgery, but don't understand how you 'sip' vs 'gulp' - can anyone shed some light on this for me?

3)During the first month after the surgery, before they adjust the band, does the feeling of hunger go away, or are you usually hungry?

4) Do you have any specific tips for getting through the first couple of days after the surgery?

5) Are there any foods that you where told you could eat, which you found to be problematic when you actually to tried to eat that food?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Wish me luck on Tuesday!

Barbara

Barbara,

You're the third 21st band I've read today, I'm 10 days post-op, and 17 lbs down.

This is just how I felt, everyone's different, but I felt great the first two days, day 3 & 4 were kinda poor pity me days. I got over the hump and never had any problems with pain, after the 2nd day.

Sips would be like you're sipping very hot hot coffee, vs you're dying of thirst and you take big gulping swallows. It really comes natural those first few days because your stomach is swollen from the surgery. What kept me strong and honest to my band is, "this is a time for your stomach to heal", if you eat at all or drink too much, too fast, your tummy has to digest and work, remember it needs to heal properly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ready for some substance of food now, I hope I never have to eat Jello again. Some things I used were the broth from wonton Soup, eggdrop Soup, those Campbell "hand" Soups, but put in a cup, don't drink out of that nasty can, and sugar free popsicles, yum!

Hope this helps and good luck! Stay in touch and keep us all posted on your journey.

My only advice would be, no matter how good you feel in the first few days or week after surgery, don't overdo it. You may not have any pain, but your body is still healing and you should be nice to it and go easy on yourself.

Nancy

Hi Barbara B,

This is another Barbara B! AKA Babs in TX! I will try to answer some of your questions:

1) Do you have any tips that might make the surgery easier? Would you have done anything differently before the surgery, in hindsight, to make it easier after the surgery?

Not really

2) I am told that after the surgery, I am only supposed to 'sip' liquids and not to 'gulp' liquids. I have been trying to do this prior to the surgery, but don't understand how you 'sip' vs 'gulp' - can anyone shed some light on this for me?

If you gulp, you are taking in a lot of air and because of the band placement this can result in the hiccups! With good restriction it is difficult to drink quickly anyway. The liquid hits the band and the esophagus and it needs a moment to go through. IFyou drink fast, it can feel like the Fluid is backing up into the thoat. Not necessarily painful, but a little uncomfortable as it works its way through.

3) During the first month after the surgery, before they adjust the band, does the feeling of hunger go away, or are you usually hungry?

Everyone is different, but I was ravenous until I got my second fill. I wish that someone would have told me this was possible pre restriction and I needed to be reassured by everyone that this was normal. I have a friend that was banded in January and she has lost 150 pounds without a fill and has good restriction. She has never had that hungry feeling, but most of us prefill have felt true hunger.

4) Do you have any specific tips for getting through the first couple of days after the surgery?

Walk around a lot and get lots of fluids!!!

5) Are there any foods that you where told you could eat, which you found to be problematic when you actually to tried to eat that food?

None with the exception or loaf bread from the store. I no longer eat bread unless it is toasted.

Babs in TX

334/188/170

6/23/03

Hi Barbara,

I'm also being banded on the 21st. Exciting, isn't it? Who is your doctor?

I have been very excited about all of this, but today am exceptionally emotional. I don't know if it's because of the upcoming surgery, Christmas, work issues or just a combination of all of it. Are you feeling that way? Did anybody else have this?

Take care all.

Barbara and Infaith, Congratulations and Welcome to Your New Improved Life!

Riding that roller coaster of emotions is very normal. Being nervous, but excited about the surgery is normal.

Please get up and walk around as soon and as much as you can - after surgery. This will prevent blood clots, pneumonia, gas pains, and help you get your strength back quicker. You won't have any trouble sipping. Gulping is uncomfortable at that point.

Don't be surprised that you'll be hungry. But it's very important to follow your surgeon's post-op rules and give everything time to heal before you start eating foods again. It's temporary and well-worth it!

Try to keep yourself busy with non-food related things. Avoid t.v., too many food commercials! I really haven't had any trouble with any foods. I do try (most of the time) to make healthier food choices.

I've reduced my health problems and prescriptions by half. I feel better physically and emotionally than I have in years. I enjoy bicycling and mountain hikes now. I'm taking part in life and not sitting on the sidelines anymore!

If you weren't nervous, you wouldn't be human. It really is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I would do it again in a minute. Keep reading and you will get all kinds of tips. I went back and read lots of the old posts too, I found all kinds of valuable information on this board.

Good Luck to you both!

) Do you have any tips that might make the surgery easier? Would you have done anything differently before the surgery, in hindsight, to make it easier after the surgery?

I made sure I had all my Clear Liquids, chewable Vitamins, liquid tylenol, gas X, on hand and ready for me when I got home from surgery, that was helpful also pack lightly, you will not need much in the way of clothing, be comfy

Sip is just one small swallow not two or three

3)During the first month after the surgery, before they adjust the band, does the feeling of hunger go away, or are you usually hungry?

Everyone is different, I was fortunate to not be too hungry after the band I had my first fill at 9 weeks post op and the first 3 weeks post op, no appetite at all.

Rest, hot baths, Gas X, heating pad, comfy place to lay down, sleeping on your back

That depends on your current fill level at the time you are eating, bread was OK prior to my fills, now it is not OK 2 fills later.

Best of Luck to you

Guest Lisa K

Barbara,

Congratulations on having your surgery date and I'll keep you in my prayers this week. I am 10 days post op and these are the things I can tell you from my experience. First of all, know that everyone's experiences seem to be a bit different as you can see from the posts. So it could be different for you.

I did have on hand and made up prior to surgery a Jell O buffet (lots of different kinds) and lots of different caffeine free teas - loved the Almond vanilla and it made me feel better to think I could have more of a choice - after all how much choice is there with Clear Liquids. I also thought no problem eating this way for a couple of weeks, but it is taking its toll no matter how different kinds of Jello and tea I have - it's boring. I can hardly wait for some texture.

I heard about the gas pains after surgery, but had no idea what to expect. Found it is not a good idea to be in a public place because of the screams they would cause me. They don't give a lot of warning either. My pains were mainly in my left shoulder area. Took a box of Gas X (not at one time) and it didn't seem to give me that much relief, but would recommend having one on hand.

Walk around and getting your fluids is a great tip! I did go back to work the Monday after my surgery on Thursday.

Take it easy - don't think you are Super Woman you will pay for it - one way or another. It's funny how your body will "scream" at you when you don't take care of it. I learned this by Tuesday evening I was on the couch by 4 pm in tears, exhausted, and wiped out. I rested a while and felt so much better, so rest when you can so your body can heal. I felt really pretty much back to normal by the 7th day. The port incision is still tender however.

I also tried to get by without the pain meds when I got home, there is a reason they give you the pain meds so feel free to use them and not try to be a hero for the first couple of days. I hated the fact that they would make me fall asleep - but in hind sight, that's not a bad thing -helps in that healing process.

I also found that using a straw helps me take a sip and drinking hot tea is another way to change any "gulping" habits. The other thing I wanted to share with you is that you may feel a tightness in your chest - right between your breasts - I couldn't tell if that was I was hungry, full, surgery, etc. But I guess it is normal from the posts I have found now, so check those out.

It is crazy because there are times it seems I can't get full and other times I eat a half of a yogurt and feel full. So just start looking for the "full" feeling, you'll know it and I am practicing now not to push the bar for when the fill comes, I am not wanting to practice the PBing. I find it hard to also get in enough Protein and eat all that the nutritionist wants me to - so I would encourage you to get some high Protein shake or I got some Protein powder that I can add to my Instant Breakfast or pudding or yogurt - it's flavorless and not bad and gets me lots of Protein, with no fat or sugar.

Bottom line always follow your doctor's orders and you'll be on your way to a new way of life. The posts here are also very helpful and looking forward to using this resource to its full potential.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Banded 12/9/04

13 pounds down

Guest GreshamGal

Me too! Actually, my sister, Theresa, and I just both got banded on Dec. 21st , also in Tijuana. Would love to keep in touch. Our Doctor is Dr. Kuri. What an angel. We have battled our weight our hole lives. I am so excited. I feel great, other than the horrible pain in my left shoulder. Can't seem to get relief.

Hope to hear back.

Lori

Dr. Kuri

Dec.21, 2004

299/