Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you or wouldn't you...

GO GO GO FOR IT !!! The Sooner the BETTER!!!

Today is my 2 year bandversary - I have my sister, my, my nephew, brother-in-law, mother & toddler-son's birthday's all coming up in the next 3-4 weeks not to mention there is Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I too was tempted to stall but decided to go ahead as soon as they could schedule me. By my son's B-Day I was 3 weeks out from surgery and the doc said I could eat things like cheese by then so I nibbled on the cheese toppings of one slice of pizza at his birthday party, had about 1 tablespoons worth of icecream and a mere lick of frosting off my fingers and was competely satisfied. I think I actually enjoyed the holidays better knowing that the band was in control of my hunger instead of the hunger being in control of me. I still ate nearly every type of food I would have ate before (with the exception of the bread rolls) just in drastically smaller portions. Even the 2 slices pumpkin pie which slid right through the band oh so easily (over a 2 day period) was a big reduction from the 1/2 to entire pie's worth I would have found a way to eat in secret pre-band. And OH HOW WONDERFUL it felt to be down over 30 pounds by Christmas!!! Instead of the 10-20 pounds higher I'm sure I would have been if I had instead waited until the new year. As it was I had to have gained at least 5 if not more than 10 in the last meal syndrome that lasted everyday for the month running up to the surgery. And you know what, considering I can eat pretty much anything except the breads those "last" meals really weren't necessary, oh well.

I wouldnt wait. I had mine right before Christmas, when you're ready and have made the decision, you've already left that part of your life behind. To make the decision but think 'Oh, I'll just get through the holidays first", well personally if I were a surgeon that would be the one thing I'd rip into a patient about. Its just not the right attitude, you are making a life change and a commitment to yourself and who gives a frig about a Christmas turkey? Its just food. I had a small Christmas dinner mushed up in the blender with some gravy. It was as good as any Christmas dinner I've ever had. Everyone was full of well wishes for me and hoped I'd be successful, they werent laughing at what I ate or watching me like a hawk - too busy stuffing their own gobs.

I didnt struggle with the least temptation, I was full of the new hope and anticipation of what I was going to achieve and I was glad I did it when I did. But I've always been good at holiday times, I clamp down and find willpower when I know its a situation when I'm likely to overdo things, its the everyday denial, the cookie with the coffee, the piece of birthday cake etc that I find harder.

Do it, you've made the decision, start NOW.

I would just do the surgery. I gained 20lbs in 2 months waiting to get approved for insurance.

I also was leary of the upcoming holiday season so to offset it, I made a holiday dinner at home...It was my "last supper" complete w/ turkey and all.

Also, based on what everyone else tells me, eventually you will be able to eat like you did before, just less.

The new you is waiting for you!

Hi! I just got insurance approval and I am not going to wait, because I already waited long enough to get this thing started. Lucky for me my family serves chicken Soup at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I figure I will be so proud to show off my thinning body that I don't care about the dinner. I have absolutely NO qualms about doing it ASAP. If you put it off for holidays are you going to put it off again for some other event? Just do it! :clap2:

<p>I would say wait because you dont want to break your diet and eat something that could hurt you...but then again i did my surgery right at the end of the summer when all the last min. BBQ's were going on....I wanted that band asap, to start a new beginning for me....It felt so good to know i left BBQ's not sneaking anything I felt like my will power was top of the line. and like someone mentioned think of how great you will look by Christmas and even new years!!! you will be fine, because u want change and thats what the band provides....BUT you know yourself better than we do. If its going to be a problem and your cooking, and your gonna have to taste the food, and you dont want people asking question, ect. then hold of till you feel ready!!!</p>

I purposely chose 12/21 for mine BECAUSE of the life-changing event such a commitment to HEALTH I was making.

Interesting that Jack waited until after THANKSGIVING to do his surgery...

<grin> Just kidding Capt'n Jack!!!!

Hello,

Thought I would chime in on this one. I am hoping to be banded in November for two reaons, 1 - I have a "deductible" on my health insurance that I've already met and I don't want to pay an add'l $2,000 in 08 for the surgery and 2 - I don't care if it's the holidays, I just really want to lose weight! I'm hoping to be at least 75 pounds lighter by next summer and I'll need those two months to do it! Why wait? Your surgeon may require you to do a pre-op diet, and I know I couldn't do it over the holidays!

Best of luck...

Margie

P.S. There's "ALWAYS" something going on, whatever the time of year. You can always find an excuse to put something off. The first of the year is a "busy" time for a lot of people at work, then it's tax time and who has time to have surgery the? Then it's Spring and who wants to have surgery when the weather is getting warmer, then it's summer and barbecues and vacations, then it's Fall and back to school and holidays!

I'm done with excuses...I would have the surgery done sooner, but I want to schedule 2 weeks vacation and I can't do that until Nov :D

Best of luck...

Margie