Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Me... my history... and a bowl of beans?

Back in Feb. or March, I went to my doc. to start checking out some health issues. I ended up with some deppression, exhaustion (graveyard shift), and some other things. Doc. sent me for a sleep study. Boy that was a LOT of wires. They said I snored all day! But no sleep apnea! Yeah! I have since changed jobs and i get to sleep at night now. My emotional healt is swinging back to the healthy side, I have 2-3 mo. till LapBand. I am now probably 170 or so Lbs. from where my doc, and I agreed would be a good goal weight. 220-225 lbs. I am looking forward to getting my healthy energetic body back again. I feel like I just slothed my way through my 20's. I will be 30 this year. I have a 2.5 yr old boy and another boy on the way. He will be here just after my surgery. By the way I am a guy... my wife is the one that is pregnant. I have been considering LapBand for almost 3 years now. However, I just decided back in may to finaly go through with it.

I come from a history that is pretty much text book LB'er. "Clean your plate, Your good if you finish your food" etc. I just think that when I have the band... My boy will still be young enough to not see daddy binge on food and pick up my addiction to the monster called food. He is now a Lean-Mean-Playin'-Machine. I do not want him to start bingeing and be an obease kindergartener. Have any of you taken advantage of the opportunity to help change your families future health? What positive things (besides your improved health) have you seen in your family and your families daily life that is a direct result from your having LapBand?

What are some of your favorite meals with the band? I know we are supposed to eat protien first... I was thinking that Beans and black-eyed peas would be great. It is a protien and it is very soft. I cant see them balling up in the stomach like they say bread can and will.

I just wanted to say howdy to everybody and get into the swing of this forum. this seems like a great place to get a lot of info. and support.

It is time for:notagree NOW!

Hiya Cagstorm! Welcome to LBT.

What positive things (besides your improved health) have you seen in your family and your families daily life that is a direct result from your having LapBand?

My whole family (my almost 11 year old, and husband) have become so much more active. We all eat so much better than before, and I think we are just more aware of our bodies, and what we are doing to them, and putting in them.

What are some of your favorite meals with the band? I know we are supposed to eat protien first... I was thinking that Beans and black-eyed peas would be great. It is a protien and it is very soft. I cant see them balling up in the stomach like they say bread can and will.

I have never really subscribed to the whole "Protein first" thing. I eat a balanced diet, and while that (to me anyway) includes Protein, it also includes veggies and carbs. But to answer your question, Beans go down great! I would starve without them (I am vegetarian)

I wish you the best of luck on your banded journey!

Hey cagstorm...welcome dude! You are to be commended for being proactive and getting this done at this time in your life. I agree 100% about setting an example for your kids. I see so many obese parents with obese kids...it's one thing to do it to yourself, but to allow a child to get in that predicament is a crime. Your boys will have a healthy father to raise them and get them pointed in the right direction. Good for you and welcome to the club!

I eat a lot more eggs now than I used to. You can make a really healthy and delicious fritatta/omelet with eggs and fresh vegetables. An egg has approximately 70 cals and yet is loaded with vita Bs and as well as containing other Vitamins and several minerals.

I'm on mushies right now, but I can tell you that I'm loving my Beans right now!

I put black Beans (or whatever) into a bowl, mash them up really well, add some salsa, stir, and then I sprinkle some low fat cheese on top. Microwave and it's like a fiesta! I tend to not eat refried beans as there can be some yucky stuff added to those. I only tell you this if you are having problems eating your beans and peas - just mash em up!!

In the future, yes, I'm going to try to eat my Protein and veggies first, carbs last until I have a really good idea of how much I can eat so I don't get full and skip them.

Thanks for all the replies folks! I forgot about eggs! I love eggs. we get farm fresh eggs from my Mother-in-Law. The yolks are road stripe orange and boy do they taste better than the store bought eggs. I am excited to get this journey underway.

Thanks for all the replies folks! I forgot about eggs! I love eggs. we get farm fresh eggs from my Mother-in-Law. The yolks are road stripe orange and boy do they taste better than the store bought eggs. I am excited to get this journey underway.

Hi Cagstorm, and welcome. I am a pretty to this posting thing too. I am planning on getting my band in late Nov. or early Dec. I too am looking forward to losing weight and being healthier. Brenda

Welcome to the group. This is the best thing that I have done in a long time. I will be three weeks on Wednesday and my wife will be 4 weeks on Wednesday. If you have any questions just ask. We are all here to help you.

Chris