Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does food getting stuck get better?

Hey friends,

I had the lap band for 5 years. food would always get stuck, and then come up. I got to a point where I couldn't keep anything down due to slippage so I had the band out after being hospitalized for dehydration.

Fast forward 18 months and even though I worked hard to keep it off (diet, counseling, meds for BED), I put on enough weight to be eligible for another surgery. I had the bypass (my second WLS) done on Oct. 28.

I have had 2 instances since my RNY where I thought I was eating the right amount and I thought I was not going too fast (eggs and tilapia respectively, both on my approved list), but I got the stuck feeling again and had to vomit it back up. It is almost identical to what I felt for years with the band, only more uncomfortable and it lasts longer.

I'm pretty sick of the feeling and my question is, as I heal and adjust to the bypass, does it get better? Please tell me it does.

Thanks!

SW 1 - 350

LW - 180

Band had to came out

SW 2 - 266

CW - 238

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by twhy48

I should have been more specific. My question is for gastric bypass forum. I am particularly interested in hearing if things improve and when I might be able to expect that. My last episode with being stuck (this morning) happened after I ate 1/4 cup of flaky tilapia in a thin sauce. I used a baby spoon and chewed every bit at least 30 times. Directions are being followed.

I'm 5 months post op and it has gotten a little better. It's weird though. I love chili and it goes down easy. So one day the same exact chili goes down like it's nothing. Then the next day it gets stuck. It's really strange how some days food gets stuck. Trust me, I hate it. It's one of the worst feelings. I eat very small bites and chew very well, yet things still get stuck. At times my wife tells me I should get my opening stretched, but I don't know. One day it's fine and the next it's not. A couple of months post op and I literally almost threw up on a daily basis. Then all of a sudden things were going down fine. I can only assume with time it'll get better?

It happens to me occasionally. You'd think that salmon salad couldn't get stuck, but that was one of the worst. It does happen less the father out I am, but it certainly hasn't gone away.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Generally, it does get better. Of course, if you have a stricture, you could need to get it dilated. I experienced a slight stricture, and chose (with surgeons recommendation) not to have it dilated.

I am 9 months post-surgery as of today and for the most part do not have that feeling anymore, but it took many months to go away.

It also may just be certain food. I struggled with both Tilapia as well as eggs. I still don't eat either. eggs make me nauseated. I can eat them IN things, but not by themselves. As far as fish goes, I generally stick to sashimi as I've had several bad experiences with cooked fish (Tilapia and Salmon), so I just stay away.

One other thing I've mentioned in previous posts - I have learned that if I get a stuck feeling when starting to eat, I stop for awhile and let it work it's way through. I might take a 10-20 minutes break the second I feel like food could be getting stuck. If I do this, I can actually feel it get "unstuck", then I can proceed with eating with no issues.