Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready...Lets talk pre-op diet

Man it seems as if there is no rhyme or reason to the pre op diet all are so very different.

I get 4 Optifast (I’m using slimfast high Protein or boost high protein) 8, 10, 12, 2 and then for dinner 4oz lean meat ½ cup raw vegetables, one fruit and I can put a sugar free Jello in the mix. Because I NEED coffee I have been getting a medium iced coffee with skim and sweet and low, don’t like splenda. I have also been chewing lots of gum.

I'll be banded on 10/2 as well. I brought some Protein Shake and the yuckers ISOpure.. i was trying to see which i like. I am low carbing it and doing well. The nutritionist said to stay on that since i lost 7 lbs.. oops, my uncle told me to say i "released " 7 lbs. If i lost it, mean i gotta go find it.. and im not looking to get that back..

mes

Ok, my diet is different too. I can have two low carb slimfast or other low carb drinks a day, plus 2 servings of vegetables, and 2 servings of cottage sheese, or sugar free yogurt or pudding. And, of course, all of the calorie free liquids I can drink.

I have not been hungry at all, but I swear I have thought of food every ten seconds, and I am on day 3. My surgery is Oct 3. I may be chewing on my own arm by then. But I really think it is just psychological. I'm supposed to eat the veggies raw, but tonight, I boiled a chopped carrot and a chopped onion in my fat free chicken broth. It was great!!! ANd I don't feel bad about cooking the veggies. I pretended it was like a chinese Soup.

How fast does the liver really shrink? Isn't that the purpose of this whole thing anyway? I can't believe it will shrink in a week, but my doctor says it will.

I do great at work, but when I get home, I want to cook and eat! I'm doing ok with this becasue I'm afraid of the whole thing not working becasue the surgeon can't get past my liver.

How do you keep your mind off food?

kygal, I feel the same way you do...I am on day 3 of my pre-op also and am terrified of cheating in case it screws up the surgery! I have done really well, but am obsessing over food... oh well, I am hoping the food preoccupation will eventually fade somewhat - it HAS to right? :) I have the same diet as BuffettPhan basically. My surg isn't until the 11th though.

Good luck to all!!!

Hi Jenne - I'm new to this forum and my surgery is the 11th too. I'm on day 4 of my pre-op diet. My doc didn't really restrict me to calories but gave me a list of do's and don'ts. Basically, I'm on VERY low carbs so I've been doing lots of cheese, Advantage shakes, salads, more cheese, and then more cheese. My dr was pretty rough on us during the pre-op and I figure if I can do this for 2 weeks, I can have some tastes after surgery.

Good luck to you!

I am on 40g or less per day of carbs for my pre op diet (surgery on 10/8). I am really confused! I had no experience with the low carb lifestyle and have been reviewing info online. Can someone explain the low carb/fiber thing to me? As I understand it, you deduct the the Fiber count from the usable carb cause the Fiber doesn't get used/absorbed by the body? I am terrified that I am eating too many carbs even though I have not had anything white, floury, sugar or starch since my appt on 9/26. The dietician gave me a list of foods with the number of carbs in each one (ex. 1 sml apple, 15g carbs). I am having a heck of a time figuring exactly what I can eat since apparently if I have 1 cup of skim +1 small apple =30g carbs, I am already almost at my limit for the day. Any suggestions/answers? ;)

I wish she had given me some examples of low carb foods I can eat.:)

Thanks crazy4jags! Good luck to you too! I have to have 4 Protein shakes per day and then can have a stuctured meal with whatever calories I have left out of 1100 per day. Last night I had a grilled cheese sandwich and Tomato Soup, and that was the best thing I think I've ever tasted....after nothing but yucky shakes all day! I was not given any do's or don'ts, just the calorie restiction and a minimum of 60 g of Protein per day.

Funny how all these surgeons have differnt pre-op plans huh?

*sigh* oh well, almost 5 days down and 9 to go until surgery!!!!

Well today is day 11 of my pre op diet and I am still alive!!! I get 3 Optifast shakes a day and a salad and some berries. I can't always stomach the 3rd shake and occasionally switch the berries for an apple as it is easier to grab for work. I don't think it'll ruin anything in the translation esp. with all the varieties of diets. I do drink tea with a little milk and sugar (milk and sugar aren't allowed either) but oh well, gives me a little burst of energy and I feel cold. My surgery date is rushing fast toward me and I am jittery and scared. Good luck to everyone on their diets!

Wow, Cottage cheese, veggies,apples.

I get 4 slimfast optima a day, all the fat free jell-o I want and diet drinks and Water.< /p>

I have discovered if you put the slimfast in the freezer for at least half an hour and let it get slushy its better.

I have 9 more days to go.