Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When is it safe to eat pureed food?

I got sleeved on Nov 7 and been on liquids since. My Dr has me on liquids until Nov 27. In other posts I've seen some people eat pureed food days after surgery. my question is this, What can happen if I start my purees earlier? Is it safe to do so?

Edited by 11072016

I had mine Nov 7 as well. I'd ask your doctor. I'm supposed to be on shakes until Nov 22, but when I went into the surgeons appointment I asked and he said I could start cottage cheese and yogurt to see how I handle it. I've only had the cottage cheese so far, but literally it was the best thing I've ever eaten lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My Dr. won't even let me eat soft noodles just liquids.......maaan this is getting to me and specially cuz I can't stand sweet stuff!!!

Each doc has a different diet progression plan. The best answer is to go with what your doc says. There may be reasons s/he has based on your personal situation for having it as long as you've been instructed. Or it's based on his/her experience as to what gets the best results. If you trust your doc, you should abide by his/her instructions.

When your doctor said you can.

Consider using the "search" feature to seen answers to commonly asked questions. Helpful veterans, the best source of accurate information, get tired of answering the same questions every day.

I had to be on full liquids one week before I could start purees

Follow your surgeon's plan! Every doctor is different and they prescribe (not suggest!) a diet progression for a reason.

I didn't like sweet stuff either, so I feel your pain. chicken broth, pureed Soups, strained egg drop or miso Soup...

This was one of my favorite brands: http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/soups/creamy-soups.aspx

It's only another 10 days! You can do it.

I was sleeved on the 7th also... my first purée food date is the day after Thanksgiving. The surgeon gave me the ok yesterday to bring in yogurts & sugar free pudding a few days early (I was supposed to begin those tomorrow) I've been following his instructions unless he told me otherwise.

Plans vary, mine is 2 weeks full liquid, 2 weeks pureed, 2 weeks soft and then if ready transition to "regular" food. I did 3 weeks full liquid because I just wasn't able to do pureed, it hurt still. Then I did pureed and moved to soft after a week of pureed.

Post op diet Prescriptions are very important. Yes, they do very with different surgeons and different patients.

The main thing is what Your Surgeon prescribed for You.

For me, my post op prescription was: 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks purees, 2 weeks soft/mushy, then gradual progression into solids.

I too had enough of sweet stuff, so, as mentioned by Lipstick Lady, I had Soups galore, such as pumpkin, strained mushroom Soup, strained asparagus Soup, broth and V8 juice.

The liquid phase was the hardest for me, and I was sick of it in week 2, but I soldiered on.

I was too afraid of a leak or possible complications to deviate from My Prescription.

I had mine Nov 9th. I was on shakes and liquids. I started applesauce and cottage cheese already. Today I had some vegetable Soup. Omg it was good. I am so sick of sweet stuff!

I am to progress thru each stage from 2-5 days as follows.

Applesauce, cottage cheese, well cooked mushy vegetables, eggs , Beans ( bean soup), then fish, dark meat chicken then nuts etc...

I cannot take those sweet , chalky shakes anymore. I have to eat a sf Popsicle after just to get the taste out of my mouth.

Oh! And I am allowed a set point smoothie--- handful of spinach, 4-5 strawberries, blueberries, half banana and yogurt or Protein powder blended. It is soooo good!

I had mine Nov 7th and at Stanford it's protocol for the sleeve patients to be on liquid diet for 4 weeks, puree for 1 week, and soft for 1 week. It sounds like a long time but they created a new seem in your stomach and that is a lot to heal where as the bypass patients have less surface area to heal. My friend had her bypass 2 weeks before I had my sleeve at the same place and she is eating food already and I still hurt and can't imagine food yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

For me, it's 3 weeks post op and is only for 5 days. But honestly, I can't stomach the thought of puréed anything. I may do baby foods. I can have yogurt as a Protein and will most likely stick with that plus some applesauce. I feel very meh about puréed. I know some people get excited about pureed but I'd rather skip and move to solids and soft veggies.

I'm not much of a meat eater. It's salmon or sometimes tuna, if anything.

Edited by StephanieS0208