Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking and eating

Um never...it's a life long adjustment

I think when you are maintaining and are a long way out on occassion it wouldn't hurt. Not often but on occassion.

You are not going to die from eating and drinking at the same time but the food will just go straight through and that could cause problems with hunger. Make a decision not to do it until you are at or beyond your goal and then only rarely if its a real necessity or want.

Have you had surgery and if so how far out are you?

Drinking while eating is actually not a healthy thing to do, sleeved or not.

Your stomach acid maintains a ph of 1. That's the most acidic eating possible. Similar to that of a car battery. The acidity of your stomach allows food to be quickly broken down before passing into the small intestine for absorption.

When you drink liquids, you are diluting the acid in your stomach. Anything you eat during that time will take longer to break down, disrupting digestion.

Many of us were used to guzzling Water or wine with meals because it stretched the elasticity of the stomach and allowed us to get more food in at one sitting. That's basically the exact opposite of what we want to be doing.

I'm 3.5 years out and I still don't eat and drink at the same time. At least for me, once I lost that habit, I never wanted it back and the few times I've done it accidentally I have felt weird and uncomfortable. So, I just don't.

I don't know if I can maintain it for life. I have always needed a sip of Water while eating. I try to avoid it as much as possible but sometimes it just becomes necessary. But not gulping or even a drink. When I say "sip" I literally mean a minute sip water. I figure if I'm allowed to have saliva I can handle a tiny sip or two while eating.

I've actually cut out as much salt as possible so to help avoid the need for a sip. loL!

I wouldn't eat and drink at the same because this will cause you to consume more food and then weight gain. Why have the surgery and waist time and money if you are not going to make life changes and do right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the BariatricPal App

I don't know if I can maintain it for life. I have always needed a sip of Water while eating. I try to avoid it as much as possible but sometimes it just becomes necessary. But not gulping or even a drink. When I say "sip" I literally mean a minute sip Water. I figure if I'm allowed to have saliva I can handle a tiny sip or two while eating.

I've actually cut out as much salt as possible so to help avoid the need for a sip. loL!

mu NUT did say to me that if necessary, due to dry mouth or something, you can take small sips with your food but try to avoid bc it washes it out of your stomach too leaving you hungry faster as well and can interfere with full absorption of nutrients...

mu NUT did say to me that if necessary, due to dry mouth or something, you can take small sips with your food but try to avoid bc it washes it out of your stomach too leaving you hungry faster as well and can interfere with full absorption of nutrients...

Yeah, I get a very dry mouth so I just take these TINY sips, no more than a few drops. It's necessary and I choke less. lol!

I can't believe someone asked me why I got the surgery if I wasn't willing to follow the rules! So RUDE! DIdn't even ask if I've talked to professionals about it.

My nutritionist told me that Condiments are going to be my best friend. If something is a little dry, to dip it in whatever my condiment is to moisten it up. She also said I can put an applesauce in the place where my drink would be. Applesauce should also help moisten the food up a bit & help to get it down.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yeah, I get a very dry mouth so I just take these TINY sips, no more than a few drops. It's necessary and I choke less. lol!

I can't believe someone asked me why I got the surgery if I wasn't willing to follow the rules! So RUDE! DIdn't even ask if I've talked to professionals about it.

yeh, some of the people are a little black and white about every little thing like omg, if you take a sip of Water your going to ruin your surgery and gain all if your weight back...yea. Don't think so. Don't sweat it... good to know the risks and weigh pros and cons of everything but most things aren't set in stone... now I imagine saying this is going to bring on a Firestorm of controversy lol...

lol@@Butterflywarrior The truth is I'm calling my surgeon's office so much I started just making a list and limiting my questions to them to once a week. haha! I've asked them all of these things and so much more. I told them that I'm making up for all the people that don't contact them at all, just bringing up their average. hahaha! I don't have a nutritionist, with my program it's done through the surgeon's office.

lol@@Butterflywarrior The truth is I'm calling my surgeon's office so much I started just making a list and limiting my questions to them to once a week. haha! I've asked them all of these things and so much more. I told them that I'm making up for all the people that don't contact them at all, just bringing up their average. hahaha! I don't have a nutritionist, with my program it's done through the surgeon's office.

that's cool, fortunately I can email my nut and call the surgucal nurse any day plus they have on call person

.it's a big staffed clinic. But I still come here and ask stuff at times lol. I call the nurse the most often though... I try to gather my questions as well lol! Ur funny good fortune

I also take small sips of Water if need by when I am eating. I haven't experienced any problems with that so far and my weight loss is steady. But I don't have big sips or try to drink an entire glass of Water with a meal.