Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have an addiction to food. HELP!

I have grown up yo yo-ing with my weight since before I can remember. I joined weight watchers, saw a nutritionist, tried cross fit, cycling, and even had the gastric sleeve surgery all before I was even 21. After on and off diets, I am finding myself feeling hopeless again. I have an extremely unhealthy emotional relationship with food that I am starting to believe is an addiction. I have dealt with a lot of difficulties in my life and have always turned to food to be my support system. Food has always been there and hasn't ever emotionally hurt me, so I continued. It has now become apparent to me that in order for me to finally lose the weight I need to in order to be healthy and avoid health issues, I need to deal with my addiction and break my emotional relationship with food. I feel really lost and really wish I could make people understand just how deep my relationship with food goes. I am tired of yo-yo-ing and running the risk of having health issues or even getting winded walking up stairs. I really need some support from feel who know exactly how I feel and some advice. I know the best thing would be to go to therapy and/or a nutritionist to really work on my issues, but I just don't think I can afford either (especially both) right now. Anyone in the same boat?

A lot of members have issues with food addiction, myself included. Have you considered attending an Overeaters Anonymous meeting?

I strongly suggest finding a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Mine has been invaluable to me in this process.

Theantichick, startingyoung specifically said she could not afford a therapist so while that is good advice I'm guessing she can't take it. I think lots of folks on this forum are dealing with food addiction including myself. I'm struggling and have my slips. Overeaters anonymous is a great place to start. If you can't get to meetings they have phone and online meetings. I've only been to a couple but the people there are so nice. Hopefully, startingyoung, you live in an area that has in person meetings so you can connect with folks struggling as you are.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Theantichick, startingyoung specifically said she could not afford a therapist so while that is good advice I'm guessing she can't take it. I think lots of folks on this forum are dealing with food addiction including myself. I'm struggling and have my slips. Overeaters anonymous is a great place to start. If you can't get to meetings they have phone and online meetings. I've only been to a couple but the people there are so nice. Hopefully, startingyoung, you live in an area that has in person meetings so you can connect with folks struggling as you are.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sorry, missed that part. I need to slow down when I'm reading. :)

OA can be helpful, I went to a couple of meetings and it wasn't my scene. It is certainly worth a shot.

For me, the therapist was thousands of times more helpful than a nutritionist. If you have a basic understanding of how food works (e.g. the difference between carbs Proteins and fats and even better the difference between simple and complex carbs) then a nutritionist isn't going to add that much other than to give you more specific guidelines that may or may not work for you. So if you have any funds available and are choosing, my money is on therapy.

Also, if you have insurance check the coverage. Mine pays about 1/2 of my therapy costs. There may also be therapists available through the county mental health department on a sliding scale. You probably wouldn't be able to choose a specific therapist, but it's an option. Also, if there's a university nearby with a social work or psychology department, many times graduate students doing their internship are available for reduced fees (and they work under the supervision of a licensed social worker and/or psychologist).

Hope that helps.

Of course professional psychiatric therapy would be my first suggestion. You may check with your insurance to see if it is covered. If not, there are self help books out there, free support groups through local bariatric programs, etc. Look for books or programs that deal with addiction and cognitive behavior therapy. Do whatever you have to to find the help you need. You need to uncover the reasons you turn to food and work to develop new outlets for your emotions.

Another addiction recovery program mentioned in my support group was Smart Recovery. It appealed to people who weren't comfortable with the 12 step process of OA. They offer online, personal and group support.

food addiction is hard. I know I would not have been successful postop without the psychological support. 1/2 dozen books, 3+ years of personal therapy (which was more valuable than surgery itself), 5+ years of group therapy (free) and now free online forum support.