Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEED FEEDBACK FROM VETERANS VSG

Hello all this is bothering me I was suppose to have surgery October 20 2016 had a case of cold feet and cancel here is my problem why I just can't commit I know I have a problem with food and I try to eat clean but I can't break this cycle it's the cravings, the not feeling full, I can get home from work eat dinner and 20 mins later looking for stuff to eat. So what I want to know is how is VSG one plus year out does the cravings comeback do you find yourself having a hard time eating clean since the honeymoon phase is over I know VSG is not a magic surgery and you have to work at it but in my head I am thinking if I can't do this before surgery how am I going to do it after surgery after the first year. I read a lot of post on here I just don't want the feeling of buying a new car and the first year your always washing, waxing, cleaning and then the second year maybe once or twice a year please give me some feedback thanks you all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

It's really impossible to tell in advance how one particular person will experience life after vsg. Some people have greatly lessened hunger, others don't lose any hunger. Cravings -- which are different from hunger -- are another thing that may or may not come back.

For *most* people, they experience much lower hunger, at least for many months after surgery. Cravings usually are gone for a while as well, but eventually both things may come back -- but usually to a lesser extent. When they do come back, you'll have a good tool to assist you in dealing with them.

I can't promise you that you won't need to work at your weight and health for the rest of your life. I can't tell you that it will be easy. I can tell you that losing weight and maintaining weight loss will be *possible* if you are willing to do the work. I know that for me, losing weight and (more importantly) maintaining weight loss was impossible prior to my surgery. I mean, I tried my whole life, I have been morbidly obese since early childhood, and had never gotten close to normal weight. With my surgery, my hunger and cravings, which had pretty much ruled my life, went away completely for about eight months. I did gradually get my hunger and cravings back, but to a much lesser extent. Also, I was so close to my goal weight that I had incredible motivation to stick to my plan. That made it easier than it had been before.

I do still work at maintaining my new body. I can't just eat whatever I want and not pay attention to things like calories and carbs. I have to be vigilant. Sometimes it is hard. But I can do it, and I never could before.

Good luck to you!

I had VSG 4 years ago and it was a great stepping stone to feel what weight loss surgery really is... restriction. It doesn't stop the cravings, the emotional eating, etc. I am getting ready to work towards a revision into gastric bypass and now I feel ready. I understand that my relationship to food is an unhealthy one so I am working on eating to live not living to eat. I first had to get my anxiety under control and actually saw a psychiatrist. food is a great comfort for me so I feel that I need more restriction to help me lose the pounds I put back on over the years. If you are worried about your relationship with food, I'd recommend seeing a mental health provider ( psychiatrist, therapist) to get down to the root of why you don't "feel" full. Some people just love food too and that's ok, we just have to learn to choose high Protein foods before the carbs ( the majority of the time )

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I looked at it as kind of a "do over", so it's been fairly easy for me. At almost 2.5 years out, I'm still rarely hungry, although I do have cravings when I give in to junk. To prevent that, I try not to give in. You don't miss what you don't have. I understand it's not as easy for others, and I highly suggest some kind of support, whether it be groups, books, therapy, other people who have had surgery, whatever. Do whatever you need to do to help make you succeed. I'm still early out, and understand and know I've got a long road ahead of me as the effects of the surgery wane. But it's my hope I have cemented the habits I need to get me through when that happens. That's really what the first couple of "easier" years are for. Take full advantage of it!

I think the fact that you are so concerned about succeeding is a good sign :)

I absolutely could not have lost 160 pounds without the help of my sleeve. But more importantly, I could not have kept it off without the help of my therapist. I was in the OR for about an hour, but spent 3+ years with my therapist. The combination has resulted in going from a BMI of 50 to 23 and holding strong at 6 years postop,

Like others mentioned, all surgery does is restrict your portions... And even that is just for healthy, dense foods, it does nothing for sliders and liquids which you can easily consume in quantities to totally derail your weight loss. It does nothing for cravings or emotional eating.

It's the psychological aspect that will make or break your ultimate outcome. If you can't afford or are unwilling to try professional therapy, there are dozens of good books available, addiction recovery programs, support groups, online forums, etc. Your concerns about what happens after that first year are very well founded. That's when it gets hard and hopefully you will have found a way to conquer your food demons by then.

Edited by Dairymary