Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea & Anasthesia

Hello everyone:

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or tell me about there personal experiences with having sleep apnea and undergoing WLS?

The reason I ask is because I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP machine for about a year now. I usually have trouble sleeping flat on my back so I have to sleep sitting up a bit reclined.

I keep worrying that during surgery I may stop breathing or that the anesthesia will make me sleep to the point that I don't wake up again. Because I already have issues with breathing while sleeping, I worry that being put under could be a big risk and that things might be complicated somehow. Am I just worrying too much about this or is it something to consider?

I would appreciate any advice or personal stories about this.

Thank you for anyone that shares and helps to calm my mind a bit :)

Sent from my LG-H830 using the BariatricPal App

You are worrying too much. Make sure that they are aware you have sleep apnea but know that the people taking care of you are professionals. You won't be the first person that's had anesthesia and suffers from sleep apnea-I actually have it too and had my revision surgery done on 10/18/16.

They will be monitoring you the entire time so don't drive yourself to crazy with worry. It won't help!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You are worrying too much. Make sure that they are aware you have sleep apnea but know that the people taking care of you are professionals. You won't be the first person that's had anesthesia and suffers from sleep apnea-I actually have it too and had my revision surgery done on 10/18/16.

They will be monitoring you the entire time so don't drive yourself to crazy with worry. It won't help!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for the advice. I am hoping things will go smoothly and am trying to calm my nerves down hehe. Hope everything is going well with you :)

I don't have sleep apnea but I'm a nurse and have seen plenty of people under anesthesia for surgery. During surgery you will have a breathing tube that keeps your airway open and makes sure you are getting plenty of oxygen. The sleep apnea and needing your cpap will come more into play during recovery when the breathing tube is out. They will likely ask you to bring your own mask (probably not machine) so that you can use it during this time and when you are sleeping like normal. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone

I don't have sleep apnea but I'm a nurse and have seen plenty of people under anesthesia for surgery. During surgery you will have a breathing tube that keeps your airway open and makes sure you are getting plenty of oxygen. The sleep apnea and needing your cpap will come more into play during recovery when the breathing tube is out. They will likely ask you to bring your own mask (probably not machine) so that you can use it during this time and when you are sleeping like normal. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you for that info. Yes it does help some. I am trying to remain calm hehe. Thank you for being so helpful :)