Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ouch!! Pain in the middle

Help to those with experience! I'm at almost 2 weeks post-op (feels like 2 months!!) and I went out to "lunch" with coworkers. I had the chef blend me the Soup to make sure it wasn't solid - it was a black bean Soup, and it was pretty liquidy!

All afternoon, I felt awful! My middle part, right in between the bottom of my ribs had this dull yet really unpleasant pain that just made me want to lie down. As a matter of fact, walking helped a little, and I even kneeled in front of my computer for some relief! It's as if I had a REALLY tight girdle squeezing me right in my upper middle below my chest.

What is it???? Ugh, I think I might have felt the same thing with a yoghurt, although less intense? Although it was the weekend and I could lie down, so maybe it would have been as bad.

Your thoughts would be infinitely appreciated!

Danielle:faint:

Hi Danielle,

sounds like a PB to me. When you eat something too fast or too hard or too large or otherwise not great for you, the item gets stuck. The pain is intense, and unlike anything else you'll experience, I'm sure. It can last a few minutes or well over an hour. The end result is usually a PB - a productive burp - which means that the bite of food that is hurting you simply comes back up as a nasty slime ball. It's not like vomiting, where you have the low abdominal heaving and the burning stomach acids - the PB is easy and fairly non-traumatic. My very first experience was the one that took over an hour. I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. But once I let it come back up again, I realized it was over, as easy at that. Since then, it has happened about 4 times, and only when I'm not paying attention to my eating, but I don't let it drag out anymore. I stop eating immediately and if I decide that if it's not going down, it's coming back up. The trick is to not let it happen at all, of course. Chew, Chew Chew and avoid the foods you can't tolerate!!!! Hope this helps, Janey:high5:

Hi - thanks for the reply. Is a a PB possible on "soft" (if not liquidy) foods? this was a blended black bean Soup - even before blending, it was pretty mushy - and after being blended, it had only 1-2 pieces of mush. And can PB also be a dull heavy pain? I thought it would be sharp, like a heart attack would feel (I imagine!) This took all afternoon (from 2 until 5 or so) and there was no sliming (that I can tell - never had it).

Can it still be a PB -- "milder" version?