Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Eat Out With Friends?

IF WE CAN ONLY HAVE 1/4 CUP OF food, HOW DO WE GO OUT WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND NOT BE THE FIRST ONE TO FINISH? MY HUSBAND AND I EAT OUT ALOT BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD STILL EAT OUT OR TRY TO FIND SOMETHING AT HOME?:hungry:

I always plan ahead. If the restaurant is online, I will look at a menu and make my decisions from there. At least the pressure will be off while you are ordering. Depending on where you are in your adventure will be dependant on what you can order. I always look at the kids meals and the appetizers. I also ask for a togo box when they serve. At least then I feel like I can be one of the group. Eat very slowly and remember no drinking in between. That is normally the hardest thing for me.

I just order an appetizer or off the kids menu and say that I am dieting. If I can't find anything on the menu I know I can eat I just get Soup. They all seem to accept that. I definately don't try food in public though. I have only PBd once and it was a long ordeal, thus I never want to experience that in public.

Thanks Guys That Is A Big Help. I Have Already Been Checking Out A Few Foods I Could Have, I Know After Monday I Would Be In My Peree Stage. Any Advice On What To Eat If Eating Out?

Soups, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes are all great choices at your stage. You can also ask for eggs if at all possible. You would be surprised what is out there. Also look at the ala carte menu and order side dishes when possible. Good Luck!

First of all, I eat more than a quarter cup of food, only the first few days following my 2nd fill was I ever so tight that was my limit. I eat more like a cup or so.

When we go out, I have adjusted through the stages, what I eat. Now for instance, we went to Chilis the other night---He ordered chicken Fried Steak, baked potato, and veggies, it come with garlic toast. I ordered chicken fajitas. When the fajitas come, I pushed about 1/4 of the mix of chicken, and peppers and onions to the side, I sprinkled the cheese, and the pico de gallo on it, added some sour cream, and proceeded to eat them just like that. With my small bites, longer chewing time, and sitting my fork down between bites...I finished my small portion about the same time DH finished his entire plate. I put the tortillas and all the leftovers into a to go box, and his lunch was ready for the next day!!!!

No one around you will likely pay you much attention....unless someone is making loud smacking sounds or something, I never notice how someone at the next table is eating!!! We go out with friends, and they always laugh at me, taking so much home, they never notice that most of my meal is left!!!!

Chilis is very good about letting me order off the kids menu, not all places are. Some are downright rude about it. I too order sides...or find something, that one of us will eat as a leftover!

Most restaurants have soups....Mexican food has always been and continues to be the easiest of any food for me to eat.

Dining out soon becomes a non issue---nothing to worry about!

Kat

I eat more like a cup too. I order what I want and stop eating when I am full. I really do not understand people's anxiety over this one. What's the big deal about not cleaning your plate in entirety or "wasting" your food? I just eat what I need. I would have done the same pre banding only I could fit more in, but I still often left restaurant meals half finished as they were so big.

I'm never the first one finished either - it takes me longer to eat a cup of salad than most people take to eat a whole bowl of Pasta.

Truly, noone notices, we're chatting, having a wine, having fun, nobody is watching what I do or dont eat or how fast or slow I eat it.

I keep seeing DH. Does that stand for Darling Husband?

Kat817, Thanks Htat Really Helps Because My Hubby And I Eat At Chills All The Time. I Really Think That Will Help Me Alot. With Me And My Hubby Working We Eat Out Alot But I Am Going To Make Smart Decision So I Can Lose The Weight I Need To Lose.

Thanks,

Redgirl

DH===Dear Husband, Darling Husband, Damned Husband---whatever fits at the time!!!

DW=.....wife

DD=....daughter

DS=....son

MIL=mother in law

FIL=father.....

You get the idea---there is a thread with all the acronyms....maybe under general discussion, possibly under introductions, I don't remember---only that it is there and goes into all of them.

Kat

I eat less than everyone else, but I am normally last one finished. I take a lot longer to eat something small, than they do something big.. like Julie said!

And I don't get what the big deal about 'how you look' to friends or whatever.. I've never in my life had someone say "I can't believe you're not going to finish xxx".