Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Status Update For Vermonters

Hi Michelle,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your band. I hope you have care soon. i hope you don't have to wait until November like to do just to get into the hospital. I guess, I also find it hard to go the Williston office just to be told yes I can have an adjustment and then billed for 114.00 for a two minute visit. Then I have to wait two months. After that my visit is 300.00 and I have not been restricted. My patience is running out and I just become frustrated.

I hope you are relived of your reflux soon. I wonder why it is intermittent? Is it the type of food that could be causing the reflux as well?

Do you think we are getting substandard service because it is a weight issue? It could be people do not find it important or valuable to us to have the proper service because they feel we are unworthy because we are overweight. They do not understand that we do not ask for it and that we are trying to better ourselves. There have been many times throughout my life when people do not think I am worthy because I am fat. It is sad and true.:thumbup:

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Cyndi

Oh, boy, as a newbie to the lap band world, I'm getting nervous about the after care I'm reading about on the Vermont posts. I am currently doing the 6 month supervised diet with Dr. Forgione and waiting for a surgery date, but am concerned about what will happen after my surgery. Have many people been dissatisfied with the after care they are getting from Dr. Forgione and his staff? Getting a lap band is a huge step for me to take, and I want to make sure I have the best team working with me through this adventure. I'd love to hear about experiences others have had with Dr. Forgione and the lap band.........

Hi all

My name is Carollee and I live in Winooski. I am a patient of Dr.Forgiones', I am due to be banned Sept 24th on Wednesday, although sugery hasnt' called me yet

Hi everyone -

I've been reading this thread and feel like I have to chime in as well. I was banded in July, so my process began with Dr. Forgione and staff in January. I can say that it has been nothing but professional, timely and successful since then. Yes, DW can be off-putting, but I believe the rest of the staff has been great.

I know I wanted a quick fix. But here are the realities. We must follow a low calorie (I'm at 1200 calories/ day) and we must exercise everyday at an aerobic pace. Also, eat slow and chew and don't try to "test" the band.

Like the band, Dr. F and staff are there as a tool. It's still 90% up to us. I do believe he is conservative. But, you can talk it through with him and he is blunt, but honest about the process. I think that's what we want and need.

We need to remember, we were told we would loose an average of 1-2 lbs a week if we followed the plan.

Here's why it's working for me: I log everything that goes in my mouth, I try to stay under 1500 calories, I exercise "hard" at least 5 times a week.

Yes, I hate that it's still hard to loose weight and I thought the band would make it easy. But, I wouldn't change it for anything.

Hang in there. And, try to stay positive.

I agree I work at Fletcher Allen and get to see the effects of obesity and diabetes that are out of contol and do not intend to end up like this

Dear Boos..

You are 100% right! I cannot say it any better. Thanks for the encouragement.

I have an adjustment in two weeks. I too log everything. I need to kick up the exercise to a harder level.

Thanks again for the support.

new2tch:smile2:

Hi I was banded 9/24 at Fletcher Allen by Dr. Forgione and had no complications, today is is the first day I went out of the hospital and I took a bus up here to check my emails. I went into the surgery wieghing 243 and this am wiegh 239.5. Still a little woozie and I will go back to work on Thursday

Hi I was banded on 9/23/08 I managed to gain back a couple of pounds. I am just a little confused. I am supposed to be on soft foods and I dont have hardly any restriction. I see Dr F on Nov 6. I have trouble recording wierd mixed food and sometimes I work 14 hour days so I get totally lost:frown:

Hi Carolee -

It seems off that you are still on soft foods. You should be transitioning to more solid foods. I have been banded for 3 months and have two fills. I still have no restriction. It's hard because I can still eat as much as I want. I have a hard time sticking to 1200 calories.

Soft foods are similar to "slider foods" which means they don't stay in your upper stomach very long. Hopefully once you eat solid foods you will feel full longer.

As for recording foods, I use thedailyplate.com. It's helpful breaking out the weird combinations we sometimes eat.

Good luck and hang in there.

Hey Folks. I'm scheduled for surgery on December 15th. Today is my preop appointment. I have gained a couple of pounds and I'm so nervous they are going to cancel my surgery. I fell into a slump and it took me a couple of weeks go get out of it. I'm back on track now and dedicated to getting the lap band and the plans afterwards.

How many of you are in the Chittenden/Franklin County areas? There has been some talk about a weekly support group meeting. Would anyone be interested in attending?

Hi Tamra - Not many people get to this site. Good luck with your pre-op appt. A little weight gain should be ok if you've hit the target they asked for. I see you post on the pats_laps site too. I hope we can get a support group going.

I'm back from my appointment and things are still a go. They actually didn't even say anything about my weight gain. Maybe I didn't really gain anything? I didn't dare ask what my last weight was because I didn't want to put a spotlight on it. LOL

The hospital was too busy to have me stop by for my pre-op so I don't do that part until 1 Dec.

Anyone else on here have a surgery date of Dec or Jan?

Hi all! I just got my surgery date (April 15th) yesterday and am very excited. At times I have been really frustrated with 'how long things are taking' but then remind myself that I am in control of what I am doing every day...I can do my food journal, do my exercise, in the meantime and still be on course. I started this 'exploration' in March 08 with my first curious phone call. It's been an interesting 11 months, and it's all finally coming to fruition!

I have to chime in that having only one surgeon in the state who does Lapband is a pretty big responsibility. As long as I am treated with respect and dignity, I will be ok!

Thanks for all of the information that has been posted. It's very helpful to read different points of view.

Kel

Hi Kel -

Good luck with this journey. Dr. Forgione and his team are great - very respectful. I need to say that this is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I was banded in July 08 and have only lost 25 lbs. The band is only a small part of it - you will be doing all the work - trust me!

Having said that I still wouldn't change it - I need to change me. If you are in the Burlington area there is a weekly support group that meets. Feel free to join us. You can get more info from pats_laps on yahoo.

- Kathy