Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you use for "security" on the road?

Jacqui, I don't eat in my car either, my sliming issue come from a piece of chicken I had eaten earlier while shopping---another stupid move!!! I managed to use a cup to slime in....eeeewwww!!!!

Terribarri---yes a PB is a bandster form of throwing up---sometimes a simple hiccup of the food, other times, forceful, projectile type of ejection. It is usually caused by over eating, eating too big of a bite, or not chewing well enough, and something cannot pass through the squeezed down area where the band is placed. The body tries to help by producing copius amounts of "slime" a grossly thick and gooey saliva. Trying to slick things up and help push it through. The problem is our pouch is small, and already full, or stuck, and the slime makes us even more over full (I know not really a word!!!) The best way to try to avoid a full blow PB is no spit the slime, and not attempt to swallow, but even then often times you end up throwing it up---or PB'ing. Same as people without a band, that affects us all differently. Some people are in pain for hours, and finally manage to get the offending food out, others upchuck it simply and it is over. You may experience both types within your banded times!!! The biggest difference in a PB and vomiting pre band, is that with a PB you have slime, and chewed food, no stomach acids.

Anytime you PB, depending on the severity, you need to be cautious---if it was BAD, go back to straight liquids for 24 hours or so....mild, eat soft food with care, and see how it feels.

I have been banded for 17 months, and had 2 PB's....they are not really good for your band, so do what you can to avoid them!

Now---as for the bag, the price was nowhere near what I would have expected them to charge!!! I can just imagine your fellow passengers in a plane though, thinking OMG that woman just puked in her purse!!! I know that is not what you want it for, I just had that visual.....maybe because no matter what, no matter where, when my oldest DD puked, it ALWAYS got my purse!!!!

Kat

I read somewhere on this board moons ago that papaya enzyme can help with a PB. I have a tin of chewables that I will give a go when this happens to me. Got them at GNC. Don't know if it is going to work for me yet or not but I'm willing to try it!

I think it's a good idea to have a large cup in the car.... thanks!!!

I have these bags at hole that are super thick. they are for Oil or Grease from cooking. They belong in an oil trap that i have kept under the sink I have bought extra of the bags for a few dollars for like 8 or 10 bags.

Maybe something like that will work. thicker and not too big but big enough and not too expensive you dont feel bad about using them.

What do you think?

TerriBarri, I am with you. I am soon to be banded and I have read a lot about the PBing. If I really stick to the program I assume this won't happen. What is causing this for you guys and how do we PREVENT it

I recently had to use a water bottle too! That really sucked. I was in the back seat traveling with family trying to be discreet as I am a closet bandster. It was hell! I didn't eat in the car either. I had lunch and it decided to get stuck once we were on the road! In my own car, I swiped air sick bags from the plane, and I have a bazillion napkins. For the newbies, the best way to prevent a PB is to CHEW thoroughly and eat SLOWLY. But, sometimes it happens anyway! I get swollen around my period and things that normally go down, get stuck. Or stress, weather, etc. might tighten you up. Just be careful, but be prepared!

Little Roo- I have used Papaya enzyme and its not a magic bullet, but it helps. It really only works when you are stuck. A PB generally happens to fast(at least for me) to chew a pill and get relief. It's kinda too late at that point.

It's NOT like throwing up (which is accompanied by violent stomach contractions to push the food up and out). This is more like a drain that is clogged. Ever flushed a toilet and watched it start filling up the bowl instead of going down? That's exactly what happens. Problem is, it comes up your esophagus....it just starts backing up, sometimes fast, sometimes slow....but steady. It just comes up and spills out and there's not a darned thing you can do about it except find a place to put it (that's why the Water bottle was so bad...it comes up in more bulk and faster than you could "spew" daintily into the top of a water bottle...)

I don't eat in my car either, but I do keep empty plastic cups around the house (mostly places like on my computer desk or night stand), for any PB moments.. which are very few and far between. But sometimes chicken sneaks up on me, and here we go!!

I have done it in a Water bottle before, it wasn't necessarily *hard* to do, as it was *NASTY* to do.

Well, I had my first ever PB the other day. I though it was going to be like burping up something. Mine was a cross between a cough and a heavy. But to compare PB with vommiting, I would have to say the PB was quite nice. I mean I would prefer not to do it at all but at least it wasn't full blown puking!! LOL! Just wait TerriBarri, you will soon find out. Let me just tell you chew the heck out of meat cause that is what gets me everytime. It seems like no matter how much I chew chicken, it gets down to that band and my stomach says "no way, no how, this has gotta go!" Also terribarri the best advice we can offer is to take small bites, chew your food WELL, and don't be in a rush. This is so hard for me cause my Hubby eats like a starving child who might have to share his food with somebody.

Cerrin,

What a great idea! Folded, those bags will easily fit in a pocket or purse, they are thick enough to hold whatever may come (foil-lined, they are not see-through like Zip-Loc bags, and they have tabs at the top to seal them up. My fat container (that uses these bag) is called The Fat Trapper. Here is a link to a page where you can see what the refill bags are like:

Fat Trapper Refill Bags

Surfbored

This is so hard for me cause my Hubby eats like a starving child who might have to share his food with somebody.

LOL Mine too! I keep telling him "slow down!!!" because he takes HUGE bites and chews it maybe 4 times.

socalgal3 - I appreciate the feedback about the papaya enzyme! Thank you!! Yes, getting stuck and PB'ing are two completely different things and I'm not thinking clearly! Ha!!

I'll have to check out the grease bags. I know that we already have a bunch of dark colored doggie doo bags that we carry around and you can't see what's inside. Although they are "scented", I'm getting an aversion to the scent because it is associated for me what usually goes inside so they might not work too hot if I'm sick. :paranoid

Yeah that is it the fat trapper. I bought my extra's at wal-mart. I have seen them in walgreens and target too.

It is one of my big fears to PB in public. My parents and close friends know about the band but the rest of my family dosent know. Seems backward I know but if you knew my family you would understand. They are the "You dont NEED to be eatting that" while they are eatting it. Or even the Here Save the big portion for Cerrin you know she eats a lot.

Geesh can we point out what I eat and make it any more embarasing. My sister even went so far as to tell my niece her daughter. you shouldnt be eatting that because you dont want to grow up to be fat like aunt Cerrin do you? I was sitting in the next room. Talk about a stab in the back geesh gotta love my family. sorry for the small rant.

:) Oh Cerrin, those comments were not called for or deserved. You'll show them!!

I'm a closet bandster - only 3 people in my offline life know about my band. I was afraid of the situation you are having with people "watching". Hang in there!!

Rants always welcome here!! :biggrin1:

If you go past that point you are decribing you could PB.

I pb when I get something stuck, or when I have an onset of my nasal drainage, or if I eat too fast.

Sometimes I just get it, and not sure why, but generally I know it is my fault. It can be avoided for the most part, listen to your body! :)

Thanks for the understanding. I do apreciate it.

So do you "feel" a PB comming on?

Or is it a all of a sudden thing?

Do you have time to get to the bathroom or not? is basically what I am asking.