Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can this mean what I think it means?

I am looking forward to being banded in January and am a self-pay. My excitement was tempered somewhat by the following information I found on the risk information tab of the Lap-Band System website (LAP-BAND® - ALB Risk):

Patients can experience complications after surgery. Most complications are not serious but some may require hospitalization and/or re-operation. In the United States clinical study, with 3-year follow-up reported, 88% of the 299 patients had one or more adverse events, ranging from mild, moderate, to severe. Nausea and vomiting (51%), gastroesophageal reflux (regurgitation) (34%), band slippage/pouch dilatation (24%) and stoma obstruction (stomach-band outlet blockage) (14%) were the most common post-operative complications. In the study, 25% of the patients had their band systems removed, two-thirds of which were following adverse events. Esophageal dilatation or dysmotility (poor esophageal function) occurred in 11% of patients, the long-term effects of which are currently unknown. Constipation, diarrhea and dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) occurred in 9% of the patients. In 9% of the patients, a second surgery was needed to fix a problem with the band or initial surgery. In 9% of the patients, there was an additional procedure to fix a leaking or twisted access port. The access port design has been improved. Four out of 299 patients (1.3%) had their bands erode into their stomachs. These bands needed to be removed in a second operation. Surgical techniques have evolved to reduce slippage. Surgeons with more laparoscopic experience and more experience with these procedures report fewer complications.

I think I saw the 88% "adverse effects" number referenced elsewhere on this board, and frankly that doesn't bother me much since most appear to be minor and easily resolved. However, it looks like 25% had their bands REMOVED due to these adverse effects. That number seems incredibly high to me and is a major concern both from the cost aspect and just the fact that so many people would find the band so bad that they would want to remove it.

I assume many have seen this information before. Am I misinterpreting the results? Can you help me put it into perspective? Do the numbers trouble you? I have all but decided to have WLS, and am planning to go with the band. I know it's hard work and I'm good with that, but this concerns me. Paying for the band is difficult enough. I'm not sure I could handle the additional costs and emotional devastation from having to remove it, and if there is a one in four chance of that..... wow! I've been particularly interested in, and encouraged by, polls and posts on this and other boards indicating overwelmingly (90-95% or more) that people believe getting the band was a great (often life-saving) decision. That just doesn't seem to square with 25% taking the extreme step to have the band removed. What are they thinking?

Anyway-- sorry to ramble. I look forward to and appreciate any insight from you experienced folks. Thanks!

Jim

Jim--My name is Clara. I got my band on August 27th. I am the "Murphy's Law of Medicine". If it can go wrong, it will.

About an hour after I woke in recovery, they did a barium swallow test to see if the liquids went through my new pouch and emptied into my "real stomach". Nothing happened. So, I had to spend the night in hospital. I forgot to add that the dr. had to repair a major hernia problem.

The next day, I went for a barium swallow test at 7:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Nothing again. By this time I was a wreck both physical and emotional. I am thinking WTF have I done???? At this point, I was throwing up!!

Next day, I was in surgery so dr. could see what is going wrong down there. Well, the trama from the hernia repair was too much for the new band. It had slipped. Dr. had to put a new band on. Ever since, everything has been fine. A little neausa, but hardly no pain. Would I do it again. Probably. I have lost 22 pounds.

Jim, I might add that with any surgery there is risk. I had total knee replacement in 2003. I developed a blood clot(DVT) and it traveled to my lungs. Thank God, I was still in hospital, or else, I would not be posting this remakr.

In 2005 I had hip replacement. I developed an infection in that hip joint. It is called MRSA, very serious stuff. We fought that infection until June of 2006. Had to have that hip replaced. That hip dislocated on me twice. That hip was replaced in November 2006. So far, real good. So, I am telling you that I am Murphy's Law in medicine.