Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chewing but not swallowing

I know how hard this is but you have got to get your head in the game. You are sabotaging yourself. Is the food really worth it?

Sent from my VS880PP using the BariatricPal App

I take it you didn't read any of the previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No need to be hateful. I have horrible internet and hardly any of the posts load. Have a nice day.

Wasn't trying to be hatful. Just stating because it seems everyone is very quick to say something with out reading what's been said. I understand and appreciate everyone's advise theirs just no need for constant repetitive things. Sorry about your internet. @geyenevere

*hateful

Wasn't trying to be hatful. Just stating because it seems everyone is very quick to say something with out reading what's been said. I understand and appreciate everyone's advise theirs just no need for constant repetitive things. Sorry about your internet. @geyenevere

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App*hateful

When you post a question on a PUBLIC FORUM, you are going to get the PUBLIC's OPINION. They may or may not read all the responses, they may decide to add their thoughts even if a like opinion has already been stated. You will like some responses, dislike others.

My best advice? Take what you like, leave the rest. If the responses bother you, unfollow the thread. If certain people bother you, block them.

It's really quite simple. You can't control what other people post on the internet. It's seriously an exercise in futility.

@@atzvsg sugar-free popsicles were my go-to 'chew' food early on. I also chewed gum, my surgeons don't restrict gum or straws. I remember than intense need to chew and it was hard to ignore! I still love my popsicles, they're pretty much the only fake food I'm eating anymore, at 5 mos post op.

@lipstickalley just like people choose to not read I have the same right to respond as I would like on a public forum, I've seen you say this in many forums and how take what you want, personally I find as you said in someone else's forum you don't speak empathy, and that's fine but if people are going to speak in something obviously they should read because it's quit silly to say the same thing over and over again. Again I stated I'm a pretty new im assuming your not. Thanks again for your advice.

@@ShelterDog64 yeah they are a good send. I was never big in chewing gum in the past, but I get this chewing urge, not a so much need to chew food that I've learned a few things that have helped although I find it hard to drink from a straw still it makes me feel like I have air but I do chew on the actual straw I've also been chewing gum, sugar free popsicles.

@lipstickalley just like people choose to not read I have the same right to respond as I would like on a public forum, I've seen you say this in many forums and how take what you want, personally I find as you said in someone else's forum you don't speak empathy, and that's fine but if people are going to speak in something obviously they should read because it's quit silly to say the same thing over and over again. Again I stated I'm a pretty new im assuming your not. Thanks again for your advice.

I never said you don't have the right to say what you want, I merely suggested you stop telling others how they should respond. Big diff.

I also never stated I don't "speak empathy". I have said I don't speak warm and fuzzy. Another big misinterpretation of my words.

I'd tell you good luck with your journey, but I've said it twice already and I'd hate to sound "silly". ;)

That's funny bc you said empathy I don't speak it. And I said if you could read the past post including what I myself had already said. And again you can say that your not condescending but you are and you know it. But like I said thanks for your advice.

Some people need to be more sensitive in there reply to this topic in my opinion we're not all perfect hence why we needed this surgery in first place

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I liken this to an alcoholic saying "I just HAD to have a taste, so I swished it around in my mouth and spat it out."

o.O

Yes, most of us are here because we have food issues. No, we're not all perfect. But as a support group, we need to do more than say "that's ok, we're all human." We have to support each other in moving toward a healthier interaction with food.< /p>

It's easy to think "oh, it's just for this short period of time when I can't have [insert food here], and what's the big deal??"

Heck, I admit to licking a Dorito hubby was eating at about day 5 post-op when I was looking at another 9 days of liquids only, and thought I was going to die if I didn't get something other than my Protein shakes, Jello, and popsicles. All of us who have had the surgery have been there. No one is saying we don't sympathize with the thoughts/feelings that we just HAVE TO chew something. What others are saying is please don't start down a road that may injure your health.

The problem is that chewing and spitting is a bona fide eating disorder, right up there with bulemia. It has health repercussions that don't have anything to do with calories. Others have covered the issues with the saliva starting the digestive process, etc. so I'm not going to belabor it.

If we all had perfect control, it probably wouldn't be an issue to one time or maybe two times chew something up and spit it out. But if we had perfect control, we wouldn't be here.

Alcoholics can't touch a drop of alcohol or they risk losing control. People with food issues have to be very careful to stay away from maladaptive behaviors, even if we justify it saying "it's just this once" or "it's just until I can have solid food again". Justification is what got a LOT of us in the place we were to need the surgery.

So please back off the vitriol for the vets who are trying to save you some pain when they share their experience and advice.

@@theantichick I said thank you to everyone and that I took their advice already. What I don't appreciate is being antagonized. When someone says the exact same thing someone else said over and over with out reading or following a topic it's going get quit irritating. I understood clearly that it's a Nono and also said I found new coping methods with my urge to chew.

@@theantichick I said thank you to everyone and that I took their advice already. What I don't appreciate is being antagonized. When someone says the exact same thing someone else said over and over with out reading or following a topic it's going get quit irritating. I understood clearly that it's a Nono and also said I found new coping methods with my urge to chew.

It might be better for you and the other poster if you just ignore the multiple responses, then. It's been this way since the olden days of the internet when listservs ruled and no one had ever seen a fancy message board like this! Lots of folks read the original post and answer that, because they don't want to take the time or don't have the time to read dozens of responses but want to try to help you out.