Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey friends.

One week post op and I'm consuming "full liquids" now. I really don't have complaints about hunger, but energy level is a different story. I can eat what I'm supposed to and it's been easier to get things down, but I saw someone write "getting full is bad"....

The shakes get me full after 3-4 "sips" but I can't imagine that being bad? Isn't the point of getting half your stomach removed to feel "full" on less?

No bitterness here, just curious!

Ps. Will the energy level return? I am a server/bartender out of work for another week and if I am trying to work on this energy level, I'm in trouble!

:)

-Chris

Your feelings of "full" won't be normal for some time, so stop if you think you are. You can always sip some more later to make up calories or hit Protein goals, but it's better to go a bit less each meal (and just have several small meals) than too much.

The concept of a normal "full" you are thinking about may also be something you'll need to figure out once you're eating regular foods again. Most of us that gained enough weight to be considered obese have very flawed perception of fullness. I used to eat to the point of feeling sick sometimes. Portion Control was a foreign concept, and even now, I have to remind myself I can always eat more later if I am genuinely hungry, but the food won't disappear forever and I can have whatever I'm eating any time.

And once you are on solids (especially hitting your Protein goals and eating healthy veggies and complex carbs in moderation), your energy level will start coming back. I feel pretty darned great and have a high energy level now.

It just keeps getting better every week, so just keep plugging away at the basics (protein/water/moderate activity whenever possible) and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Just don't push it to where it's uncomfortable, you don't want to cause problems with the staple line or a leak. Take it slow and steady with the sipping. It will improve over time.

I understand what you are saying about feeling full. I had the same experience while on liquids. I still get full at 4.5 mths out on a Protein Shake. However, being full on liquids vs solid food is very different. Once the swelling goes away and you are feeling good, it is a very fine line between feeling satisfied and feeling full. One bite too many is extremely uncomfortable. All a learning process.