Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op gas pains

Hey guys. 5 days post op surgery was 10/31. I am having major gas pains and having a hard time pushing to pass any gas. I have been walking and it helps burp sometimes but this morning i was up for several hours with intense belly pains. Pain medicine doesnt touch the gas pains. Do yall have any suggestions on what else i can do? My nurses in the hospital wouldnt let me have stool softeners. I have called my surgeon to see if they recommen it but no word back yet. Also, was anyone allowed to wear some sort of stomach band like a splint to hold the incisions while walking so its not kinda hanging. Any advice or recommendations are much appreciated!

HW: 404.8

SW: 362.9

Sent from my SM-S820L using the BariatricPal App

I would suggest Gas-X Strips to cope with the gas pain...if you haven't already tried them.

This is a post I just received that provides a solid overview of the issue of gas following bariatric surgery:

Gas Relief After Weight Loss Surgery

bodyweight.png?ts=1478273018

Edited by RonnieBob

There were two things that helped me deal with the gas pains and they were both suggestions by the nurses staff in the bariatric section of the hospital.

While sitting or laying a heating pad helps lot

Gas X chewables or strips.

They both helped deal with the gas pains. Also lots and lots of fluids will help push all those toxins out of your body and will also help with consitpation. I would keep pushing on your surgical team on the stool softener thing especially if you are taking pain medications.

Best of luck and hope you feel better soon!

Hey guys thanks for the tips! After Friday the gas pains kinda took care of themself. I began to pass more easily. First BM was rough because i hadnt had one in a week. Not even with milk of magnesia. And enema finally worked. Tmi i know. Lol post op tomorrow excited to see if I've lost anything more!

Sent from my SM-S820L using the BariatricPal App