Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attn: Catholics - Communion

When someone tells another to go against their doctor's post op diet (clear liquids is NOT wrong immediately after surgery and a bread wafer is NOT clear liquids) the information needs to be corrected. And yes, even if that topic is regarding a religious issue.

Thanks Caligal and Gadgetlady for YOUR excellent communication skills!!

Surfbord: Don't let us scare you. Do what you think is best after hearing all our opinions and views. We do want to help, even if we can get a bit tense while doing it sometimes.... :phanvan

When someone tells another to go against their doctor's post op diet (clear liquids is NOT wrong immediately after surgery and a bread wafer is NOT clear liquids) the information needs to be corrected. And yes, even if that topic is regarding a religious issue.

One more time: I did not tell her to go against her doctor's advice!! You obviously had different advice about the liquid phase from your doctor then I did. MY doctor told me I could take pills (one at a time) and even Advil if I needed it, during the liquid phase. I never had any problem doing either. And since a Catholic communion wafer turns into a liquid in your mouth (being dissolved into your saliva), there is no reason for it to be considered a solid food. I may have been too quick with my answer and should have made sure the poster was not having trouble swallowing liquids before I gave advice, but my advice was not "wrong" and did not need correcting as if had told her something harmful or dangerous.

You did tell her to go against her doc's advice. She explained she was on Clear Liquids. She asked if she would be able to take communion at a LATER time. You told her it was fine to do it NOW. That is not what her doc told her.

bread just isn't a clear liquid no matter how you look at it.

Now, I'm through with this topic, write whatever you wish as the OP will do what she feels is best for her.

You did tell her to go against her doc's advice. She explained she was on CLEAR liquids. She asked if she would be able to take communion at a LATER time. You told her it was fine to do it NOW. That is not what her doc told her.

bread just isn't a clear liquid no matter how you look at it.

Now, I'm through with this topic, write whatever you wish as the OP will do what she feels is best for her.

How much "clearer" can saliva be??? Communion hosts dissolve into saliva, that is it. It is not BREAD, no matter what they call it. It is a specially-made wafer that does not have to be chewed like bread. It dissolves into nothing. Plain and simple. If anyone can swallow spit, they can swallow communion. Since her doctor allows her to drink liquid and swallow spit, I can see no reason to deny her Communion if she wants it. My doctor didn't and I don't know any other Catholics who couldn't take it... even in the clear liquid phase.

This is being nit-picked to death and I am done with it now, also.

Once again, I want to thank everyone for contributing to this discussion. Please don't get angry with each other on my account. After reading all of the opinions, I have decided to wait to take the host until I am on mushies, but I will take the wine, which is also communion. And, you are right. God loves me either way and will understand, so I am going to be conservative. (I see that some doctors allow creamy Soups under full liquids. Mine makes me wait until the pureed phase to have creamy Soups - strained or not.)

Surfbored

Once again, I want to thank everyone for contributing to this discussion. Please don't get angry with each other on my account. After reading all of the opinions, I have decided to wait to take the host until I am on mushies, but I will take the wine, which is also communion. And, you are right. God loves me either way and will understand, so I am going to be conservative. (I see that some doctors allow creamy Soups under full liquids. Mine makes me wait until the pureed phase to have creamy soups - strained or not.)

Surfbored

Sounds good, Surfbored.... you are doing exactly what you should be doing! Good luck on your Band journey and keep posting!

God loves me either way and will understand, so I am going to be conservative.

Good choice. I'm a big fan of being conservative :biggrin1:. I think everyone should be conservative :heh:.

How much "clearer" can saliva be??? Communion hosts dissolve into saliva, that is it. It is not bread, no matter what they call it. It is a specially-made wafer that does not have to be chewed like bread. It dissolves into nothing. Plain and simple. If anyone can swallow spit, they can swallow communion. Since her doctor allows her to drink liquid and swallow spit, I can see no reason to deny her Communion if she wants it. My doctor didn't and I don't know any other Catholics who couldn't take it... even in the clear liquid phase.

This is being nit-picked to death and I am done with it now, also.

Good for you that you have never PB'd or choiked on your saliva. My problem is that you are handing out advice that is not for you to do. You can tell someone about your experience, but to blanket and say you are alike is just plain crazy.

Good for you that you have never PB'd or choiked on your saliva. My problem is that you are handing out advice that is not for you to do. You can tell someone about your experience, but to blanket and say you are alike is just plain crazy.

Well, this is just plain argumentative. I never made a blanket statement and I never said "we are all alike." I told her my experience and that she should be able to take communion because it dissolves in her mouth into nothingness. Obviously, if she couldn't swallow her own saliva, I would assume that she would have put that into her post and I would have given different advice. If someone can't swallow their own saliva, would you advice them not to swallow? And I will give advice when I think it is helpful just like everyone else on this board. You are free to do the same. But please, stop the nit-picking. This issue has been resolved and the original poster has made her own decision.

Good choice. I'm a big fan of being conservative :biggrin1:. I think everyone should be conservative :heh:.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

You can take communion NOW.....it dissolves in your mouth and will be nothing by the time it reaches your stomach. I had my surgery on a Thursday and received communion the following Sunday. No problems!

Gosh, this sounds like you ARE telling her what to do, OR am I rading wrong? No I am NOT nit picking anything. I think 100% what yoiu did was WRONG, as I said it is ok to tell someone YOUR experience but to tell thtem they are NOT GOING to have problems is 100% wrong. I am not nit picking, and anyone that knows me on this thread, and MANY MANY do will tell you that when I tell anyone anything I tell them what MY experiece has been, but they need to check things out for themselves!!

FOR ME, that is part pf being a responsible human being! I would hate to be handing out random adive without being a licensed professional andf telling them they will be ok WHEN I AM NOT THEM, nor DO I HAVE THEIR body!

CALL it nit picking, call it whatever you want I call it being responsible, and I think may many would agree with me. I have been on this board liong enough to know that not everyone is the same as you so imply whether you agree that you said it or not!!

Well, this is just plain argumentative. I never made a blanket statement and I never said "we are all alike." I told her my experience and that she should be able to take communion because it dissolves in her mouth into nothingness. Obviously, if she couldn't swallow her own saliva, I would assume that she would have put that into her post and I would have given different advice. If someone can't swallow their own saliva, would you advice them not to swallow? And I will give advice when I think it is helpful just like everyone else on this board. You are free to do the same. But please, stop the nit-picking. This issue has been resolved and the original poster has made her own decision.

How did yu know what she could or could not do?? YOu assumed. Assumptions are dangerous. I am glad that she has made her decision, but I will not back down from the fact that you gave out wrong information. I am asking you to be considerate and understand that not everyone willmake wise decisions from reading this board.

And I would ask YOU to be considerate and stop assigning evil motives to someone who was trying to be helpful and encouraging, and who was passing on the same advice that my doctor gave to me. All you have given to this thread is sarcasm and insults. For goodness sakes, I didn't tell her to eat a STEAK, I told her what my doctor told me. If you want to lambast me for that, go for it. Your pettiness and nit-pickiness is becoming tiressome and I am done with it.

By-the-way, I know several people who have left this board because they get tired of being attacked for little things like this. The poor original poster of this thread has already apologized for her post because of how ugly it has gotten and that is just wrong.

The question was about Catholic communion wafers. They are not meant to be chewed, they are meant to be held in the mouth until they dissolve and are then swallowed. Again, if you can swallow Water or spit you can swallow this.

So, this was not sarcastic? I had no problem telling her my experience and told her she should ask her Dr. You told her there was no problem.

This is my problem with what you have done. I am sorry if you feel I am being sarcastic, and yes your comment here set me off.

Your sarcastic and downright RUDE comment made me defensive. I have simply pointed out you can and should give your experience but not pass it off as gospel as you are doing.

Sorry if you don't like the truth. I do not mean to be rude, but I am intolerant to those who think they are always right. I have never attacked anyone unless prevoked. Your sarcasm breeds mine, and for that matter others.