Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just beginning....questions

Hi. I'm new to all this.....and I have a couple of questions.

I went for my consult yesterday and all went well. It appears that this all will be a pretty easy process for me (I hope). I have BCBS Federal and according to the doc, I'm fat enough to meet the minimum requirements. Wait!!! Is that a good thing....I'm fat enough to do something? Ha that's a first!:D

Anyway, my only requirements from the surgeon is labs and a sleep test. Has anyone out there had one of these done? What should I expect? Could this put the skids on my surgery?

Also, I have to start a high Protein low carb mostly liquid (2-3 shakes & 1 sm meal/day) diet 2 weeks prior to surgery. I'm really picky and don't really care for most of the replacement shakes. They always taste powdery or metallic. Can anyone make any suggestions to some really, really tasty low carb drinks? I'm prepared to suck it up and get over it but if I don't have to...well you know.

Thanks for the help.

I got my band on the 27th of August. The only pre-surgery test I did not have done is the sleep study.

As far as the Protein drinks, I hate them, hate them, hate them. But, I put on my big girl panties and do what I have to do. You can put vanilla extract, raspberry extract, or any extract you like and it does help some. But I guess that is part of the pain (Protein shakes) we must endure!!!

This is a great site for gathering information and talking to people that are experiencing the same things you are. Good luck and keep me posted.

WELCOME to LBT. I'm not banded yet, but I did my sleep study already. I spent 2 nights at the clinic. Both nights they hooked up to a machine to see if I was breathing normally or if I would stop breathing in my sleep. 1st night was without a cpap machine, and they said I stopped breathing 10 times an hour. 2nd night was with the machine. I didn't stop breathing one time. I can honestly say I have not felt more rested in years after the night with the machine. I now have my machine at home and use it every night. It took alittle time to get used to having a mask on my face, but it really isn't that bad.

Good luck!!

I am having surgery on Sep. 17th in Jax. Fla. with Dr. Cywes and I work with him at the hospital every week so I am not afraid with him. I love him and his PA so I love them. I also picked my anesthesia doctor that I

have worked with for 30 years in the hospital. I have to lose 60 pounds and I need to for my knees and hip. I am a little nervous about the change of our lifestyle - we love to go out. I am sure that will not stop just change the places and what to order. So glad I have made this lifestyle decision. If anyone reads this and is in Jax Fla with this surgeon I'd like to hear from you. Mimi

hi dreamin'

i also hated Protein shakes until i found the Isopure powdered Protein Shakes. they are pre-measured packages.

i love the chocolate and vanilla. i mix in banana's or berries with the vanilla one. i use Water and blend with ice....they are delicious.

and only 300 cals with 50 gms of Protein.< /p>

you can get them on the website A1supplements.com

so far i found them to cheapest.

i credit using these and they whey protein bullets with the fact i am not losing my hair because i made sure to get the proper protein in ever day.

good luck

I had a sleep clinic - not bad - I never slept so how did they decide I have sleep apenea? I am on the 10 day out for surgery Sep. 17th - doing the high Protein low carb thing to - not bad - I have love 20 in 3 months so it is a start. I cannot wait to be on regular food - small portions - we can do anything we put our minds to is what I think. I cannot drink the Protein Drinks either - I have a gag reflex - but I did find a place in Jax. Fla that is an Organic Resturant that has a delicious drink that I love - taste like a regular drink - let you know the name they use. I'm planning to use that as my 3 meals a day for the first week. I think I can do this.

I have finished all of my testing and I'm now waiting on insurance approval. I did not have to do a sleep study because I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and have used a C-Pap machine for several years.

As for shakes, I've only tried the Slimfast, a brand called EAS (or some similar initials) and Atkins, all of which were available locally at groceries stores, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. I like the Atkins shakes better because they are not quite as sweet and they have less carbs than most of the Slimfast versions. Slimfast does have a low carb version now I believe, but I'm not familiar with it. I have been using the Atkins shakes for Breakfast for over a year. I'm sure others could speak more to the quality of the Protein in the shakes, but Atkins was easy for me to find locally and since I never really liked Breakfast foods that well, the shakes were a good alternative for me. They are higher in fat than I would like, so I'm looking into trying some of the other suggestions on this thread that you might find useful. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/your-favorite-protiens-38055/

Good luck on your journey.

mimiinjax,

I'm originally from Jax. I miss home so much. Just move to TX about 4 month ago. Can't wait to go home at Christmas! What's the name/location of that restaurant? Just curious. Think I'll give it a try when go home.

The only high protien replacements that i have found and like is the chocolate EAS it is in a purple large canister. The others have grossed me out. I did not have to do the sleep test. I am 4 months out and i have lost 54 lbs and it was a great decision!! You will do great I am sure!!