Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gall bladder out AND LaPband at the same time?

Gallbladder out AND LaPband at the same time?<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <hr style="color: rgb(233, 233, 233);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Anyone have this problem? Was told today my gallbladder is borderline and the doc may remove it but if he does have to, then he won't do the lap band at the same time because it will/can cause an infection and then he'd have to go back in and remove my lap band anyway! I am very upset!! AND to top it all off, I won't know until I wake up. *sniff-cry*think.gifthink.gif

Anyone had anything similar??? Anyone had both out at the same time?? Any percentages of infection? Geez. I'm set to have my surgery this Monday morning. So I need info fast. help.gif

I really need to know what the percentages are of infection for people who have had ther gall bladder removed and the lap band put on at the same time... HELP.

Hi Kittee... I don't know of anyone that has had their gallbladder out and the lapband put in all at the same time.... there are however, several people that have had their gallbladder taken out and then after they heal up from that with no problems then they have the lapband put in...

I would listen to my Dr on this one.. Sometimes those things happen.. They are unfortunate, but it is for the best....

I had my gall bladder out and 2 weeks later had the band put in. At first I was upset with 2 surgeries but in the end it worked well. I hear of lots of people having their gall bladder out a few months later and that would be more of a drag!

I called it my starter surgery just to get me in the mood!

Goo Luck

I had my galbladder out 8/14/07 and then I had my band put in 8/21/07. When I asked my doc if he could them both at the same time he told me also because of the risk of infection it's safer to have it done separately. I had no problems. Did you have an ultrasound of the abdomen to check out the gallbladder? That's how they found that I had one huge gallstone and needed to have it out. I would talk to your doc about it. Good luck!

I found out that I have gallstones, and my surgeon is going to remove my gallbladder before banding. He said that if it's inflamed or if any bile spills into the abdominal cavity when he removes it, then he won't do the lap band at the same time. I'll have to wait for three months, and then have another surgery.

I posted earlier about problems with my insurance. I decided not to switch to a private pay but instead asked to borrow the money from my company. But they want me to wait a few months before they will pay for it for a few reasons.

I have gallstones and have had some problems with them over the years, mainly nausea. Both my mom and my older sister had theirs taken out and I thought I would ask my doctor if he would do both at the same time. He said yes provided the gallbladder is "not too sick." So I am going in for an ultrasound on Oct. 12.

If I get them done at the same time, it seems the insurance company may pick up the tab for the anesthesiologist, etc! which would save several thousand dollars, and my company wouldn't make me wait a few months.

I'm kind of confused - I think the ultrasound has to show gallstones but not too many gallstones that he won't do the Lap-Band at the same time?

In the past I have done gallbladder "flushes" to pass stones. Should I do this again before the ultrasound?