Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would you do???

I visited my primary care physician today to get her blessing for my lap band surgery. She believes I'm a "poster child" for the procedure but wants me to try one more diet....with drug assistance (topamax pm and adderall am). The diet is very simple...protein 4 times a day with moderate meals Monday through Friday. weekends free eating. I'm pretty disappointed as I was quite psyched about getting her clearance for surgery.

It's my choice: diet or lap band. What would you do?

215 lbs and frustrated!

:rain:

Very well spoken Jack... I would question a Dr that wanted you to do another diet and fail instead of encouraging you to get the lapband and successfully lose weight.... (Just MHO)

I be;ieve that we all knew when we reached the point of..NO MORE will I do the roller coaster thing. We made a decision to have lap band. It is the best decision I have made FOR ME in very long time...no regrets!...Banded April 2003..95-98 lbs lost..maintaining for over 2 yrs..when is last time you maintained for over 2 yrs?? I never did before! Good luck to you!

deb

I didnt tell my primary care doctor until 2 weeks after banding. I didnt need his approval for my insurance to pay. He can be short and abrupt and I didnt want to listen to him. I have heard people say that their doctor didnt want them to do it, because once they get in better health and off of their meds they dont need their primary care doctor as much. At 52 I felt like I was running out of time to do anything to make a difference.

What happens after you stop taking the diet meds???

2bthinagn - Amen to that. I didn't tell my PCP until I went to have my BP meds adjusted after 30 days. She was practically jumping for joy when she saw my weight loss, but I don't know how receptive she would have been had I approached her before banding. I am finding that a LOT of professionals are pretty in the dark about banding. They know bypass, but NOT banding!

I am not a Dr & I know that some drugs can be used for different reasons. I am just curious if you have Migraines because Topamax is used for migraines & for Epilepsy. I have used in the past & I hated the way it made me feel. Also Adderall is meant for people with ADD/ADHD, so basically your Dr is giving you a legal form of speed to take.

I am not banded yet (but will be on Friday) but I think you & your husband have made the right decision!

hey there...i don't know about you...you may do wonderful on the drug...but I took topamax as well in hoped for weight lose (as well as for other reason)....it didn't work for either problem and gave me some screwy side effects that lasted for quit some time.

anyway, just my thought on that drug...i know they do work differently for ea. person. Best wishes to you and GBYalways

Try the diet first. The first 6 weeks after the banding there is not much restriction and you are basically doing it on shear will power now after the fill I am sure that is a different story but I have not had one yet.

I also had very good restriction after surgery. I was banded June 4th and I have had 2 fills... and I'm down a little over 40 pounds. I feel healthier than I have in a very long time. The thing is, we aren't on a diet anymore. Diets are over... this is a new way of living. You don't need drugs to use as a crutch. Your body and your band is all you need to get healthy. At least for me anyway. :)

Good luck! I hope things work out for you!