Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a glass or two of merlot wine before bed.

I have always been a wine drinker.

Do you think this is bad?

Will it stall my weightloss?

It does relax me at night.

I do enjoy the taste as well.

Yeah or nay?

It's wasted calories, but I guess if you alocate those calories for the day, it would be like eating anything else with those calories.

However, I read the other day the way your body 'burns' stuff...

It said first it burns Alcohol, then carbs, then Protein, then stored fat (I believe it went this way.. I do know Alcohol was first and stored fat was last).. so if you add alcohol, it's longer on the chain to get to the stored fat.

I would say nay, but I also don't have a taste for alcohol, so it's really easy for me to say nay!

I smoke, and I wasn't willing to give up smoking after surgery even though it's the healthy thing to do.

my personal feelings, its wasted cals and has no nutritional value what so ever.

do i drink alcohol ... sure - maybe once every other month. but i notice i retain more Water and just feel crappy after.

My opinion is the question has nothing to do with the band, per se, so it's really your decision! Meaning, it's empty calories, but there's nothing about being banded that changes your choice whether the benefits of alcohol outweigh the calories. You can absolutely still have it and since you're cutting your cals from food, still lose weight. You'd just lose faster without it, which would be true without the band as well (again b/c empty cals).

But if you want to have it, it's completely your choice! You may find that you want it ndow, but you get kind of addicted to losing weight and that the payoff of losing weight faster will, at some point, outweigh your desire for those calories.

Good luck. You're going to do fine.

My opinion is the question has nothing to do with the band, per se, so it's really your decision! Meaning, it's empty calories, but there's nothing about being banded that changes your choice whether the benefits of alcohol outweigh the calories. You can absolutely still have it and since you're cutting your cals from food, still lose weight. You'd just lose faster without it, which would be true without the band as well (again b/c empty cals).

But if you want to have it, it's completely your choice! You may find that you want it ndow, but you get kind of addicted to losing weight and that the payoff of losing weight faster will, at some point, outweigh your desire for those calories.

Good luck. You're going to do fine.

:clap2: VERY well put!

Julie...you're only 13 pounds from goal????? WHOOO HOOO!!!! You go girl???? Have some b4 & after pics???

I can appreciate a good glass of wine as well, but one or two each night isn't going to do you any favors in the weight loss area.

Try this. Cammolie tea is excellent for helping you rest. I love a cup with just a tsp of honey before bed some nights. It is also called "Sleepy Time" tea. Some boxes have a picture of a bear in a night cap.

You shouldn't have to give up on your melot, just think about limiting your self to just a few glasses a week instead of every night.

hope that helps.

So nay?

Man it's like you have to give up everything.

The nutritionist said one-two glass 4 days a week was ok.

I don't know.

I know I can only tolerate that much anyway.

A glass of merlot before you go to bed sounds like a lovely, civilized pleasure to me. It certainly doesn't fall into the same destructive category as a bucket of icecream or half a pizza as a midnight snack, and it is this kind of behaviour - that of eating large quantities of the wrong kind of foods - which has caused us to become fat. The band is designed to stop us from eating large portions. The band rules are all about getting us to eat the right foods, healthy Proteins and vegetables/fruit. If you follow the way of the band you will lose weight. Why not keep your small civilized pleasure and enjoy your glass of merlot? I can't think of a nicer way to unwind. :bounce:Small pleasures should be a part of one's life, I think. :wacko:

I second that, Green! (she said sipping her Chardonnay after a long day at work).....aaaaahhhhhhhhh

I haven't given up my almost nightly glass of wine, but in the same way that I switched to tiny plates bowls and cutlery, I just got myself a tiny wineglass.

I realize that it's empty calories and I am indeed a slow loser, but I feel a fair bit of stress with major lifestyle alterations. Just having the band and being careful about how I eat is enough for me to deal with without eliminating all my comforts.

Thanks green kacee,devana.

For a minute I was feeling bad!

I follow all of the band rules trust me.

I just need some quiet time where I can sip and relax.

I know it is wine but it sure isn't a cupcake.

I am one of those fat unfortunates who are allergic to most of the sweet indulges that most eat.

I walk 2 miles a day also.

I think one glass is enough however.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I love this board!