Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here

Hello everyone. I am a new member to this forum. I am soooo happy I found this website. It is awesome all the support and information they have. I am in the first stages of beginning the lap band process. I have decide to go with Dr. Debarros at WILA. I was very happy to see all the wonderful things people had to say about this program.

Now, I have heard conflicting reports about the hospital stay. Some pt's had to spend the night, some were outpatient. I would love to hear everyone's experience about the actual hospital stay (how long, swallow test, etc). Thanks guys. :clap2:

Hope to join the lap banders club soon. :whoo:

Hey, Iluvcarbs! How nice you found us over here.

Actually, I haven't logged in for quite a while. I'm surprised by how quiet it is. Where did everybody go? Well, no matter. You are here!

As for the hospital stay, I think a lot of it depends on your insurance, what time of day you have your surgery, etc. I was a cash-pay patient and stayed overnight. I think all of the others that had their surgery on the same day I did ended up staying overnight, as well. A lot of it may be personal opinion. If you have the option to stay overnight, I would recommend it. But, that's just me. It certainly wasn't a peaceful night's sleep; The silly IV machine kept beeping all night long. They couldn't get it to stop, even though they changed machines and changed my IV twice. Then there were the respiratory therapy people that came in every few hours to make you breathe. Hmmm...... on second thought...... just kidding.

OK. The swallow test. I have a lot of experience with that one, since I have had 4 of them. I did overhear a nurse recently say that they were no longer going to do those routinely on every patient, just if they think it's needed. I don't know if that's true, but wouldn't it be nice! Anyway, my first swallow test I had just come out of surgery. Well, at any rate I was still trying to wake up. It was an awful experience. I was so asleep I couldn't stand on the machine and almost rolled off. They kept yelling at me to wake up and had to get some guy to come hold me on so I didn't fall off. My first time around, they had the machine upright so you had to stand on it and then they moved you down to a laying down position. Yeah, that didn't go over very well with someone who was still trying to wake up. Then they kept yelling at me to drink.... drink.... drink...... and there was the straw. And all I kept thinking about was "I'm not supposed to use a straw". It was nuts. But, hey, got through it. The subsequent tests went much better, mostly because I was actually awake. And on the subsequent tests, they had you climb up on the table which was already in a flat position, so there wasn't as much moving around. The stuff you drink tastes terrible, though. Have some mouthwash in your room to rinse with afterwards.

The recovery from surgery wasn't that bad. I know a lot of people say they were themselves again in a day or two. Well, realistically for me I'd say it was about day 10 or so before I felt "normal" again. But, it went by quickly.

Finally, let me just say that I think you made a great decision going with Dr. DeBarros. He's the best and he'll take care of you. :wacko:

Good luck to you and keep in touch!

Thanks so much for all the info SElaine. You were so honest. It is nice to hear a first hand account of what goes on. I am glad to hear I made the right choice going with Dr. Debarros. My mom is working with Dr. Orris (Dr. Debarros didn't take her insurance). I saw your progress. WOW! From size 28 to 22. That is awesome. I can't wait to feel better, but I must admit it is going to be nice to shop some where besides Lane Bryant. :D

Holy cow! My progress..... I just realized I haven't updated that thing for a while. I've since lost 20 more pounds! OK..... after this I've got to update it.

I had a crazy morning. I really haven't bought clothes since the surgery. I've been meaning to, but really it's been difficult to find the time. I've been sick lately, school started, busy with the kids, etc. Anyway, I do have that ONE outfit I refer to whenever I need to go anywhere. It still fits OK, you know? We had a party to go to this afternoon so I put the outfit in the washer and the dryer to be ready to wear. To my horror, one of my cute little innocent children had either put crayons in the dryer or left some in a pocket somewhere that I missed and melted crayon had ruined my outfit! Dang, and it was almost time to go. I was going through every drawer and every outfit in my closet trying to find something to wear. Finally I found a pair of denim shorts that didn't look too bad and a shirt that was obviously way too big and went to the party.

Well, to sum up, some people at the party felt so bad for me trying to keep my pants up, they offered to watch my kids this afternoon so I could go shopping. Isn't that nice? So, off I went to AZ Mills this afternoon. I was absolutely shocked at what I found as I was trying on clothes. I could actually fit into a size 18 in some things! OMG! I haven't been an 18 since shortly after high school. Still a 20 in some things, but..... hey! Four months ago I was a 28. This is what you have to look forward to!

Is your mom having the surgery, too? Wow, how nice to have someone to go through it with. Dr. Orris is great, too. I've actually seen both of them several times and had a surgery with Dr. Orris as well. They make a great team. I looked at several places and I'm still very happy with the decision to go with WLIAZ.

So, how far along are you in the process? Do you have any idea when you will be having surgery?

Hey SElaine. Congrats again. From a size 28 to 18/20. That is awesome. In 4 months, that is even more amazing. I actually have my first appt. with Dr. Debarros on Wed Sept. 12th. My mom has already started the process (testing, nutrition, psych). Right now I am doing my part to get as much info as I can so when I go I will have most of the paperwork. I have been running all over town getting all of my medical records. I have BC/BS of California. They told me I needed a letter of Medical Necessity, Psych, and Nutritional eval. So I am praying I get approved.

I was curious SElaine, I keep reading threads about people eating and experiencing the dreaded PB. Has this happened to you? (you don't have to answer if you don't want to) Also what is your diet like post lapband?

Thanks.

Seminar Sept 1st

First Consult Sept 12th

WILA Dr. Debarros

Hey! What time is your appt. on the 12th? Is it the four hour appt? I also have an appt. on Wed. the 12th. Mine is in the morning, 8:30 am, I think.

As for the dreaded PB.... nope. Can't say that I've ever had one. The thought certainly is scary, isn't it? The worst thing that ever happened to me was when I was on vacation. We were in a hotel room and I was STARVING! Well, of course I didn't have anything smart to eat in the hotel room but I did find a bag of chips my kids had. I ate two chips. I ate too fast, or didn't chew well enough, or both........ and started producing mouthfuls of saliva for 3-4 minutes. (Sorry to be so blunt..... I don't know how else to describe it. I guess it's what people here refer to as "sliming".) I just went over to the sink and spit it out. It wasn't painful or anything.... just weird. But, after that one experience it hasn't happened again.

My diet has been pretty normal, just smaller portions. Of course, after surgery you go through a phase of liquids only, then "mushies", then soft food before you progress to regular food..... but it goes by quickly. The best part is because I don't get hungry, I also don't get cravings like I used to. As long as I eat when I am supposed to, I'm fine. There have been a few adjustments-- I really haven't tried rice or Pasta since the surgery. A lot of people have problems with them getting stuck because they are sticky. I don't eat as much bread as I used to. I still have bread, but not the really soft doughy white breads. I prefer making wraps with whole grain tortilla's instead of a sandwich. For me it just goes down better.

Hi I'm going to see Dr DeBorris on Oct 1st. I have BCBS insurance and just finished my 6 month diet and exercise that they require. I only lost 2lbs. I have a clearance from my doctors to have lap band surgery. I have sleep apnea high blood pressure high chloesterol GERD and a hiatal hernia. Do you know if they fix the hiatal hernia at the time of surgery? I'm hoping to get approved fast so I can get the surgery ASAP. Anyone know what time frame I might have. I have already had a sleep study, EGD, Psych eval, colonoscopy and my yearly pap smear and mammogram. I'm hoping I will just need blood work to have all my testing done. I know I will have to meet with their nurtritionist too. What else would I have to do before having the precedure done? Thank you Diane

Hi Diane! It's great to see you back on the board. Are you in town now?

It sounds to me like you have done your research and have about everything you will need. Have you already requested copies of all your tests be sent over to them? If not, I would do that ASAP so they have it before you ever go in. (Maybe have copies with you as well.... in case anything gets "lost".)

Meeting with Mike the nutritionist is not a big deal and you will probably meet with him at your first appt. (Sidenote: Mike is really a great guy and has really been a help to me. ) Since you appear ready, I think your timeframe is going to depend on your insurance and how long it takes them to get you pre-approved. As soon as you get your insurance approval, it's usually two weeks till surgery. You'll schedule your pre-op appt. and start your two week liquid Protein diet.

Oh, and about the hernia.... I have heard several people in support group meetings say that they had hernia's fixed at the time their lap-band was put in. So, I am pretty confident they will do it at the same time.

Good luck and keep me updated on your progress! :rolleyes:

I fly in on Oct 1st and have an appt with Dr DeBorris on Oct. 3rd. I have some copies of my tests and old doctor's records and my doctor is suppose to send everything to Dr DeBorris by Oct 1st. I will call them befor I leave and make sure that they did it. I thought I would start the low fat liquid diet when I get to Az to get a jump start on it. I'm so looking forward to starting this journey. I hope I get a speedy approval. Thanks for the info. Diane

Shauna

You have done wonderful with your weight loss! How is it going with the lap band? Are you feeling full after just a little bit? I hope I do as well as you! Diane

Hi Diane! Thank you. I am also pleased with my weight loss thus far.

Currently, I have no fill in my band and I've actually gained a few pounds over the past few weeks. No worries, though. I get a fill tomorrow!!! (I was ill for quite a while and had to have my fill removed.)

Yes, when I have a fill in my band and I have restriction I do get full after just a small amount of food. And the best part, I have found, is that I don't have the cravings I used to have and I don't think about food all day long. I certainly have noticed the difference these past few weeks without having a fill. It makes the world of difference.

Good luck to you. I hope we will be able to meet up at a support meeting when you get here. We have them once a month on Monday nights, and once a month on Saturday afternoon.

I'm seeing Dr DeBorris too. I go for my first visit on Oct 3rd. I hope it won't be long to get approved from my insurance. I'd like to be banded by the end of Oct. I have all my tests done. I should only need blood work done. Diane

LOL! I guess it's all relative. I look forward to actually being ABLE to shop at Lane Bryant. They only go up to a size 24, leaving those of us who are bigger to shop at Wal-Mart (ugh! don't get me started) or Catherine's, which is pricey and ill-fitting (for me, anyway). One of my pet peeves about the plus-size industry is that they assume that we are all tall, big-boned girls. Pants, sleeves, etc. are always WAY to long for me. I'm a "petite"(LOL) 5'3";. I can't wait for the day that I can actually shop in the petite section of a regular department store!