Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting out of illness

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this... I just had the flu but was unable to vomit... even when there was something in my stomach, it was all dry-heaving. It also seemed more painful than vomiting before the band. Just wondering.

Take care,

Lisa

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this... I just had the flu but was unable to vomit... even when there was something in my stomach, it was all dry-heaving. It also seemed more painful than vomiting before the band. Just wondering.

Take care,

Lisa

Hi Lisa;

If it was me I'd call my Surgeon right away... he may want you to take a GRAVOL or some other antinausea drug... so as not to hurt your BAND..

You wouldn/t want to 'dislodge' it or have it FLIP on you...

Thinking about anatomy:

If we have a sectioned off stomach it stands to reason that nothing would come UP and OUT from the bottom portion of the stomach... as the BAND would stop it right?

the opening is small, hence when we are swallowing food... it has to be SO tiny to enable it to go down..

just my thoughts.

Good luck to you;)

Hi Lisa,

I had the same experience. I felt nauseous, then I had to throw up. I had nothing but dry heaves like you.

What if we get food poisoning? Doesn't our bodies need to throw up to get rid of the toxins?

Then I too thought about our new anatomy and it seems that it is impossible to throw up from our bottom stomach.

Any new info on this?

Thanks,

Miranda

Oh yes. I got travel sickness last spring after having been banded for 4 months. It really irritated the band site, so after I was over the illness, food started getting stuck on a regular basis, resulting in total closure of the band site so I couldn't even swallow my own spit. Had to have an emergency defill. The moral of the story is that if you are feeling even more restricted after the illness, get a few ccs removed and take it really easy on hard to get down foods like bread, or super chew food like meat. The dry heaves really can irritate the band site. Treat yourself well.

I also got sick, and vomitted so much that it caused enough irritation that I couldn't eat and barely drink, so I had to get a complete defill. Avoid vomitting out of sickness at all costs, cause you don't want a defill. (and the other possibilities of slips and such)

And I don't know how it is possible, but vomitting now is just as it was in the good old days... everything that should come up, does. But if I have a dry heave, I make the most god-awful sound... like a very loud, hollow, deep burp... nothing I'd ever had before!

I had the same thoughts about our new anatomy as well. It seems that it would take an awful lot of force to push contents up through the band and then out.

Wow, your experiences sound scary... irritation, slips and possible CLOSURE of the band... eek! When illness does happen again I will certainly be careful to watch my feeling of restriction. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.