Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandsters...wish you did Bypass instead?

Guest Debbie1956

Lapband was my only choice.

I remember going for a consultation and he asked bypass or lapband.

I said lapband quick and with confidence.

He said wow you have really been doing your homework!

i went to a meeting last night and got very discouraged, but now after reading everyones post on here i am feeling better. A woman in the meeting said she had her lapband on aug 23rd and she feels hungry all the time. Then the man running the meeting said if u want to lose 100 lbs or more then lapband isnt the way to go because u usually only lose 50 to maybe 75 pounds.I want to lose 100 pounds!! I have my last weigh in next thurs and then i wait for all to go to my ins co and then my date.

Thx for making me feel i made the right choice now ;)

Debbie, You are like me, as to where we need to lose 100 pounds or less, with LB you only need to take off a week off work, (a lot of people go back before a week is up.) I had the LB surgery on July 23, 2007 and I have already lost 28 pounds, yes with GB you will lose a lot faster but in the long run which surgery has the best out come. I know 2 people who have had GB surgery and gained all, and most of their weight back and guess what they have decided to have done....... They are going and having LB surgery. What they are telling me is that since putting their weight back on they have stretch the stomach out.

My opinion is with the amount of weight that you need to lose the Lap Band would be the Best for you. Good Luck on what ever decision you make!

Hi everyone,

I my first DR appt on the 11th and I haven't decided what I am going to ask for, LB or Gastric Bypass. I have about 90 lbs to lose and a BMI of 38.

Do any of you with the band wish you'd done something different like bypass? Anyone discouraged at your weight loss so far? My readings on this list seem to show that weight loss is kind of slow with the band.

Any comments would be really helpful!

Debbie in GA

i went to a meeting last night and got very discouraged, but now after reading everyones post on here i am feeling better. A woman in the meeting said she had her lapband on aug 23rd and she feels hungry all the time. Then the man running the meeting said if u want to lose 100 lbs or more then lapband isnt the way to go because u usually only lose 50 to maybe 75 pounds.I want to lose 100 pounds!! I have my last weigh in next thurs and then i wait for all to go to my ins co and then my date.

Thx for making me feel i made the right choice now ;)

Mumzee58, there is a man in our class that lost 170 lbs. in a year with the lapband. It can be done if you follow exactly what your doctor and his staff recommend. I am less than two weeks out and have already lost 33 pounds. Good Luck on your decision.

shelli:girl_hug:

Hey Josie, thanks for the feed back. Looks like you are doing great. We are about the same weight for starting, I'm at 242 right now. and the same age(I'm 50). I'd kill to be at 188, it sounds like heaven. I do think leaving my insides intact is better for me.

Debbie

Debbie

You are 1 yr younger than me and the same weight i was when i 1st met my surgeon. I was banded 7/17 and to date have lost 28.5 lbs (i went up to 250 with my last meal mentally prior to surgery) I agree I would love to be 188 - 170 is my goal for the time being - i dont know if i want to be 120 again - omg the sagging skin ;)

I love my band - had my 1st fill yesterday and have not been hungry today at all - I am a tad hunger right now and will leave in a bit to go eat.

The band is a TOOL the real work is still up to you... Good luck on your journey - read read read get all the info you can - and good luck

Hi. I have a BMI of 37 and need to lose 90 lbs as well. Doc said I was not a candidate for bypass. He explained that with the Lapband you lose weight more slowly but you have a better chance of keeping it off and the body responds better and reshapes better. People who should do bypass are people excessive and at a health risk and need to lose faster. Also with bypass you can regain the weight because the stomach stretches again. With LAPBAND, you have a built in maintenance plan. If you regain some, go get an adjustment. With gastric, there is no more adjustments. Also, if you don't like it, it can be removed. Gastric is permanent. Also LAPBAND has less complications and less recovery time. You'll make the decision that is right for you when the time comes. Good Luck

Hi there, I was banded on June 28 and my weight loss has been 34 lbs. I have seen a lot faster weight loss on this site and slower. It really depends on how well you choose your food. If you eat chinese, pizza and burgers it will be pretty slow. However, my Dr. has told me by about 2 years both banding and bypass have lost about the same amount. The lap band does not have a lot of the potential side effects that can occur with the bypass., and the recovery is faster!.

I think my weight loss is slow because I haven't really attempted to stick only to low cal foods. The amount I eat is considerably less so the weight is coming off regardless. I need to add some exercise like walking as I sit at a computer all day. I was approved for bypass and I chose to pay $12000 for banding instead. I don't regret the banding.

Hope this helps out.

<p>My sister in law and I both had WLS two months apart. She had the bypass first and I had the band. So far she has lost about 50lbs in 16-17 weeks however, I have lost 35 lbs in 7 weeks. So far so good I think. I am really glad I chose the band because I can still have a piece of cake if I want it as long as it is a small piece, unfortunately my SIL cannot or else she dumps. I have had only one fill so far but I don't feel deprived at all! I can basically eat anything I want but only in smaller quantities, which is really a blessing. I regretted having surgery in the beginning but from what I hear that is normal, two weeks after surgery I felt great and have been feeling even better ever since. It was the BEST decision I could have made and believe me I had the option of bypass if I wanted because my insurance was willing to pay for either completely.</p>

Forgot to mention I haven't started exercising yet so once I start I know it will come off even quicker!

It is so great to hear about how well you are all doing. :clap2:It inspires me to try and plan what I eat and when to get in some exercise. I would love to be able to track my weight loss like others on this site but I haven't figured out where to get the graphic. I notice most people are using tickersomething.com. Could anyone tell me where I can find it? :help:

Thank you losinjusme!! I have a brand new ticker and I can track the weight loss. You have done incredibly well. What is this September exercise challenge I see a ticker for?

hi Barbara,

it's just a challenge i give myself each month. how many miles can i really do? last month was 220 miles and i lost 20 pounds. going to try for more this month and see if i can squeeze another 20 out of me!!

welcome to LBT.