Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having the sleeve in 4 days and I'm scared this is not something I should do

I'm really scared about the long term issues with eating, dumping, not being able to drink liquids and eat, the long term issues with not being able to accept certain types of foods in your stomach, the fact I can't use any anti-inflammatories for the rest of my life.

This is not something I sought to do, it's something the doctors have highly recommended it, I did 16 months on a liquid diet 3 years ago and lost 130 but gained back 40. My gallbladder went bad in February and caused an acute pancreatic attack which has now rendered me diabetic.

I'm excited to get my gallbladder out as I've been suffering from nausea for over a year. But I'm really scared that I'm making a bad choice for myself with getting the sleeve done as well. I've lived a year and a half dealing with the issues of a liquid diet, the special needs you have to accommodate for eating so radically different than those around you.I'm scared, nervous and not really sure how to deal with that or who I should talk to, so I'm turning to you guys.

It is quite normal going into surgery to have some second thoughts about whether this is the right decision. And many even have a few regrets immediately post op - but they are short lived regrets.

Once you get past the healing phase, you will eat normal food - just a high Protein low carb diet in smaller portions. And a lot of people eat high protein/low carb - so when out with others, it really won't seem that strange once you get past the idea of the smaller portions you are eating.

While there are a few sleeve patients who do experience dumping, many do not - dumping is more common with RNY bypass patients. And dumping is usually caused by eating something you really shouldn't be eating anyway.

Separating eating and drinking seems bizarre at first because we grew up with the idea of must have something to drink with my meals. But honestly, I'm not quite four months out and it's second nature now not to drink anything when I'm eating. Restaurants can still be a little annoying about it because waitstaff don't grasp the concept that you don't want ANYTHING to drink and typically still bring you a glass of Water even when you say you don't want it. But I just leave it sitting there on the table.

The NSAID thing is a concern (note you can still take tylenol - acetaminophen). Some plans even allow NSAIDs for occasional use later on - depends on your medical program and the rest of your personal medical workup. I was popping naproxen daily for about a year before surgery because of back and knee pain - now that I"m down over 130lbs from my highest weight, I haven't had back or knee pain significant enough to need/want to take anything.

The part of your post that concerns me though is where you said you didn't seek this option, your doctor is telling you to do this. You should only be doing this surgery because YOU want it and you are fully engaged in it - not because someone else is telling you to do it. The surgery isn't a "cure" nor is it an instant thing that takes no effort. You have to be committed to a lifelong lifestyle change - the surgery just gives you a tool to aid in making that change. I suggest if you do decide to have the surgery, you also talk to a good therapist to help you work through your concerns about the different eating style and any other emotional issues that come up.

That being said - it is the number 1 best thing I have ever done for myself. I am actually LIVING MY LIFE honestly, probably for the first time in my adult life. My health hasn't been this good in decades - and I have still have a long way to go. I get out more and actually enjoy doing things now. I'm taking a vacation in less than two weeks and instead of just planning where to eat which is what the very few vacations i took previously revolved around - I'm excited about all the activities I'll be doing including a hike in the Great Smoky Mtns National Park - something I couldn't have even dreamed of doing a year ago!

@@LittleLizzieLilliput If you did a liquid diet for 16 months - this should be a piece of cake. I'm allowed pureed food (but it's food) one week after surgery and normal food in the 7th week. You just have to take your time introducing foods to make sure you tolerate them. Write a list of all that this surgery will do to help you - and see if it's something you want to do. Your health is most important. Statistics show that those that lose on their own have a 5% chance of keeping it off. That's not great odds. It will require a lifestyle change - but as far as I'm concerned - at least I'll have a life.

Thank you @@heidikat72 and @@KristenLe both so much, these do help. It's good to know other go through this fear. I was so excited up until yesterday and then this crushing fear and anxiety set in. Just expressing them in my OP helped a ton but hearing this really helps. I will make a list of all the benefits this afternoon and then keep it on me when I'm feeling scared again. And hearing the Dumping thing isn't as large of an issue with many Gastric Sleeve patients REALLY helps me. Thank you!!

Ok, deep breaths, deep breaths... :)

I would question the anti-inflammatory part. I have rheumatoid arthritis. My surgeon said "NO" to RNY but "YES" to VSG, so I am able to take steroids.

steroids are ok...it's the NSAIDs that are usually prohibited or at least cautioned against (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) things like ibuprofen (advil, motrin) and naproxen (alleve) mainly because of the ulcer risk.

@@LittleLizzieLilliput If you did a liquid diet for 16 months - this should be a piece of cake. I'm allowed pureed food (but it's food) one week after surgery and normal food in the 7th week. You just have to take your time introducing foods to make sure you tolerate them. Write a list of all that this surgery will do to help you - and see if it's something you want to do. Your health is most important. Statistics show that those that lose on their own have a 5% chance of keeping it off. That's not great odds. It will require a lifestyle change - but as far as I'm concerned - at least I'll have a life.

KristenLe - you have a surgery date now??

I do!!! Yippee! 11 days - 10/18!

I'm going for surgery tomorrow and 3 days ago I was freaking out to.

Today I'm better, taking so breaths and try to stay in the moment xx good luck on this journey

Thank you!! I'm so glad I'm not alone! This morning I was freaking hard. lol!

Today I'm better, taking so breaths and try to stay in the moment xx good luck on this journey

Thank you!! I'm so glad I'm not alone! This morning I was freaking hard. lol!

No worries, I was determined to call the surgeon and cancel. I was telling my hubby all about why this is an awful decision, poor thing just nodded his head and kept quiet incase I started yelling at him. I was able to calm down read through my journal and think back why I mage this choice.

Hope you can make it through the next 4 days wuthering little stress as possible.

I do!!! Yippee! 11 days - 10/18!

Good news! Happy for you - I know you have been anxious to get the date. You seem to be in a good place mentally with the surgery - wish I was too. I had my first appt. with the intake nurse and it was all very surreal to me. "How am I here? How could this have happened to me?" that sort of stuff going on in my head. With all the research and homework I've done she was impressed - but hearing how good of a candidate for the surgery I am didn't really help me feel better about it. I'm happy I went this road and didn't opt for self-pay which means nobody looks after you. I will need this time between now and surgery to get my head right - and decide if it's good for me or not.

With the VSG you can have anti inflammatory meds

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App