Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 8/30 and lots of ????

Hi all. I got my band Aug 30th and just found this site yesterday. One question is how much did you eat after getting the band? I do not feel hungry but am able to eat about 1 4oz Protein shake in the am, about 3 oz of liquid (broth) Yummmm at lunch and another shake for dinner. Is this about normal?

Looking forward to reading a lot more on here.....Dave

Just be careful with anything with artificial sweeteners in it, especially Splenda. It causes soooo many people to crave sugar, it makes me really hungry to drink Crystal Light. I use Stevia (a plant leaf extract available in the health food section of most big supermarkets) to sweeten caffeine free tea or make my own koolaid or lemonade and it doesn't make me want to gnaw my arm off. Just a suggestion.

Just be careful with anything with artificial sweeteners in it, especially Splenda. It causes soooo many people to crave sugar, it makes me really hungry to drink Crystal Light. I use Stevia (a plant leaf extract available in the health food section of most big supermarkets) to sweeten caffeine free tea or make my own koolaid or lemonade and it doesn't make me want to gnaw my arm off. Just a suggestion.

Hi Faith,

I was reading your post and then also looking on the internet for "Stevia". I usually use Splenda and don't want to sabotage my plans from the beginning. I found a website that advertises Stevia in a 2 oz bottle in liquid form. How much would you use of it? I also read that the manufacturers of Stevia are not allowed to advertise it as a sweetener or the FDA will seize it off of the shelves and that they have done it in the past. Can you tell me a bit more about it from your personal experience? Is it very safe?

Regards,

Alfie

It is very safe, since you've done some research, you have probably come across the references to certain tribes in Paraguay and Brazil that have been using Stevia (sweet leaf) for centuries. In Japan it accounts for over 40% of the sweetener market. Here's a snippet from Wiki about it:

Indeed, millions of Japanese people have been using stevia for over thirty years with no reported or known harmful effects.[29] Similarly, stevia leaves have been used for centuries in South America spanning multiple generations in ethnomedical tradition as a treatment of type II diabetes.[30]

You shouldn't have to order it online, it is readily available at health food stores, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, in most large supermarkets like Kroger, Meijer, Hiller's, Giant Eagle, etc. where you will find it in the health food section, usually with the supplements. Sometimes it is with the sugars and sweeteners.

Stevia is a plant extract or derivative. It is NOT artifical like Splenda or Saccharin or NutraSweet. There has been promise shown in its use for type II diabetics to increase insulin production and to lower hypertension.

You use a tiny tiny amount. For example, the 2 oz bottle I have says it is about 600 servings which are considered the equivalent of teaspoons of sugar. So 2 oz of liquid is equivalent to about 600 teaspons of sugar sweetness. As far as the taste, I can equate it most to slightly like saccharin. But for me not wanting to gnaw my arm off because I'm so hungry after drinking Splenda or to not have a NutraSweet headache, I'll take a it.

Hi Faith

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it. :heh: I have a Whole Foods not too far away.

Regards,

Alfie