Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sour taste in mouth

Some days lately I get a sour taste in my mouth that lasts all day. It's slightly bile tasting, but I'm not having acid reflux at all. It's there whether I eat or not...stays about the same all day. Has anyone else had that or know what that is?

Halitosis is a common side effect of being in keytosis -- at least that's what I've always read. I think it's an off-product of your body burning fat. As for solutions, I really don't know other than the norms (tongue scraper in addition to brushing, for example).

I've noticed this more lately too.. Initially I tried drinking milk instead of Water to wash it out, but it made it worse. Then I went to tongue scraping, that seems to make it better for me. Tongue scrapers are like a dollar at Wal-Mart.

I have been banded just 1 week today. I too have a wicked taste in my mouth especially in the morning. It helps when I brush my teeth to also brush my tongue. I gag and gag, but it seems to help.

Is that what it is? It doesn't taste like a bad breath taste....more like bile, sort of, but without the acid reflux. Does yours taste like bile?

It's one in the same..welcome to ketosis. It means your body is doing what it's supposed...getting rid of all that oogly fat. I too started having ketosis a couple days after my surgery and it's still there. I keep brushing my teeth and tongue and also found if I drink peppermint tea that it seems to help with the cleanse from inside out.

I just called my lap band Dr's office and they said I need an upper GI because any taste of bile is an indication of problems that left untreated can cause band erosion. They said other tastes may be OK, but any bile taste needs to be addressed immediately.

Went to see Dr. today. They say that even if you don't reflux, if you have any bile taste, it's probably GERD due to too tight a band or eating in the evening...or a variety of other things...can be caffeine, eating chocolate, spicy food...oy. Mine is most probably due to the Advil I've been taking the last few weeks. They thought I could get away with a few weeks of it, but I couldn't. Advil is a challenge for lots of bandsters. So I'm off the Advil, on short term GERD meds, and I don't have to have an upper GI unless the symptoms don't go away.

Oh, AND they told me that if you are using extra pillows at night so you don't reflux, that's not a good idea because that puts you in a position that cramps the abdomen and may actually increase reflux. They said to raise the top of your bed 6 inches by putting something under the feet of the bed..and then just use one pillow. Not my problem, but I thought it was interesting.....

Thanks for the information about the pillows because I have been using about 6 pillows since the surgery. Hope you are feeling better soon.

shelli:girl_hug:

Thanks Shelli!

Here's my new challenge. I'm headed to Vegas Monday and trying to decide whether to get a slight unfill first... I keep a pretty tight band anyway, but I hear so much about people being more restricted after air travel...and I don't need to be tighter!

Meds for gastric reflux and excess acid in the stomach.

I was trying to knock out some pretty intractible pain by taking Advil....even though my Dr. said no more Advil post banding. Got too acid-y, but I didn't think it was reflux since I didn't have any active refluxing. I just had a bile taste in my mouth all the time lately.

Oh, and the pills are Bentyl to stop stomach pains and something like Protonoxin (?) to slow the acid production. Sorry-I don't have the bottle with me at the moment.