Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You don't look like you need weight loss surgery!

I know this probably isn't the way to handle it but when I kept hearing that phrase at work (nursing) I finally just said in a strong voice, "I'm 5'3" and I weight 240 lbs and my BMI is 42! Each time the reply was "Oh" or "Oh really". No more negative from anyone. Just support. Not too much is private with me so it worked. But not for everyone

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I know that feeling! I tell ppl how much I weigh and I always get 'Where?'

I hate looking in the mirror or at photos of myself because I don't feel as heavy as I clearly am. It drives me crazy that I can't see what the mirror shows...

Sent from my XT1096 using the BariatricPal App

oh my thank you for posting this i need a laugh. i get told all the time "your not that fat" ok so your agreeing im fat... everyone around me has tried to talk me out of surgery including myself. then i said to myself you will be the first to go in a zombie Apocalypse... we love the walking dead. i cant run i run out of breath just walking, my hips hurt when i sleep. im just tired of not looking how i feel on the inside. tired of crying when in a dressing room. and i work in a very male populated area im a nurse as well and i have men yelling i need a fat girl with low self esteem to take care of me... of course its directed at me. the male officers drive by in there golf carts and say to the other officers that they dont pick up fat girls cause they need the exercise. its very demeaning. the inside person is not a "fat" girl... im done hiding from the camera and the mirror..

I hate hearing this! So annoying! How fat do I need to be? I was close to 300 lbs! WTF! Is it okay if I'm 400 lbs to take care of myself? 500 lbs? 600?

Frankly, if I could be sleeved at 30-35 BMI years ago, I'd have been thrilled! 200 lbs is plenty overweight for me, IMO.

When I'm not cranky, I try to think people are being nice, saying I carry my weight well/dress nice, etc., and think that over 50% of the population is obese and the average size of women is now an 18 -- not a 14, so I'm holding up a mirror with my weight to them seeing that they need to lose lbs, too, and it sets of a knee-jerk reaction of denial. IDK.

When I'm cranky, I don't freaking get it! What's wrong with being a healthy weight range and feeling good, cutting my chances for cancer down, no diabetes risks, improved joints, and looking good? What's the problem? Why do you care if I get slimmer? Shut up and be happy for me. If it were them, I'd be happy for them they quit smoking/drinking/lost weight/exercised more/saw a therapist to work on depression -- whatever the issue is.

Honestly how many people would appreciate someone telling you "oh yeah you do need surgery, look at you."

I feel they are doing it as a polite thing to say to you. Plus people rarely like when other people change too much

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I just don't know why they care... I mean, I'm doing what I feel I need to do to be a better me.

Sent from my XT1096 using the BariatricPal App

I am having the surgery in February. I hear from lots of people asking why I need the surgery. Then they inform me to just go on a diet and loose the weight. Well, I have been on diets my whole life!! I am almost 43 and I am 150 lbs over weight! Why should I have to explain myself?

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

I agree and LOVE all of you for this post!!! I am 5' 6" and weigh 236. I hear the "You wear it well" also... Gee, thanks! I feel like Shrek, but... yea thanks! I have very high cholesterol, I am always out of breath, and feel uncomfortable in most of my clothes. My BMI is 38. I am waiting on my 2nd dietician appointment and then its up to the insurance approval. I am ready for this. #goodluckeveryone

I love this post!!! I swear this is my life in a nut shell right now.. Yeah, after years of yo yo dieting, losing 50-75 lbs and then gaining it all back again and again and now having a metabolism that barely crawls so no matter WHAT I DO the weight doesn't come off.. Please tell me again how if I just "eat right" the weight will come off.. ahem... Well would you like to see the past five years of food logs I have since I've weighed and measured every damn thing I've put in my mouth for that length of time?

I get that people are trying to be nice and not point out that I'm large, but seriously don't try to talk to me out of the one thing that is going to save my life and the one things that's going to work. I'm 5'2 and 256 lbs.. I'm 126 lbs overweight and on a short frame that HURTS..

plus I have sleep apnea, and high blood pressure and I'm pre -diabetic.

And I get it all.. The "you're not that big"...:you carry it so well".. and my FAVORITE.. "I know someone who had that and then died!! aren't you scared?" Well I wasn't until that so thank you for that...

Thanks for letting me get that out!